Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppies who suckle

moontamara
July 29th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Hey all!

My 3.5 month toy poodle Casey started suckling her blankets about 2 weeks after we got him. I have some questions about this behaviour...

Is this evidence that he was taken away from his mom too soon? Why did it take him 2 weeks to start doing it, or was he probably just suckling privately until he got more comfortable with us?

He still does it, usually at least once or twice a day, always either right next to me or my husband, or somewhere near and then he just stares at me while he does it. It's really very sweet, but also kind of sad, isn't it? Doesn't it mean he misses something from his early pupphood?

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Sounds like a child with a security blankie. It could be like cuddling a stuffed toy. He evidently derives some comfort from it.

Goldenmom
July 29th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Never mind pups that suckle, what about adult dogs!!!! I have 2 such Goldens that suckle their "baby" at night. They both fall asleep with it in their mouth, with their paws wrapped around their baby. You can actually see their jaws moving, as if sucking on a mothers nipple.

My youngest, Lexi, just started this about 6 months ago. She is 1 1/2 right now. My older girl, Shelby is going to be 3 in September. These girls are sisters, same mother/father. I brought both of them home at the age of 8 weeks. Beats me why they do it. I just know that it is the cutest thing you ever saw. Shelby usually picks the babies nose to suck on. I will try and get a picture to show you.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

Jackie467
July 30th, 2004, 01:04 AM
My family had a doberman that did this with blankets, any blankets. we got him when he was 12 weeks old from the breeder so he wasn't taken too early. I think they do it as a comfort thing. it always seemed to calm him down and he did it most when he was stressed. the wierd thing is he would do it so long in one spot that he would actully suck a hole in the blanket. unless it's destructive like that just consider it cute and don't worry it's not that unusual.

krdahmer
July 30th, 2004, 11:25 AM
One of my cats, Cordelia chose my favourite stuffed animal, a puppy, I've affectionately called "puppy" since I was two. I awoke one night to see her staring at me while she suckled his ears (yes in my 20's I was still sleeping with him)! So in order to save puppy, as his ears were taking a beating, I had to put him up and out of her reach, and as a result stop sleeping with him myself! How's that for funny, we broke each other of our security blankets!! After puppy was gone, she stopped suckling all together, I'm not sure if that would work for a dog or not, just simply moving the suckled object out of sight?! ;)