Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat with urinary blockage

tlogan
January 11th, 2009, 12:05 AM
My cat Fluffy is at the vets and has been for almost two weeks now... He has been catheterized three times and he keeps blocking, he had surgery to remove 18 stones/crystals.
According to the vet his liver function and values are reading normal, his kidneys now reading normal and are not into renal failure as initially thought. and his kidneys are producing urine - x rays showed that they got all of the stones after surgery - all he has to do now is pee on his own...

One question is - Can they keep the catheter in longer or put it in after surgery (stone surgery)? that would mean having to catheterize him again for the fourth time or can they have the penis by passed until it heals or would this do the opposite by drying it up. There is another surgery that he can have to help him pee. Has anyone heard of a surgery to change the way the male cat pees? (basically making a male cats penis like a female cats genitalia and it would allow him to pass stones or blood clots that are possibly blocking him) I am considering this surgery for my cat but don't know if that is to much to put my cat through.

Has anyone with a male cat gone through this type of surgery? How did things turn out? And what are the issues you have currently or had after surgery?

Has anyone had a male cat that kept blocking and what did the vet do to help your situation? beside an end result of putting the cat down.

Second Question is - Is there another issue that maybe causing the cat to block? Is it the actual penis in the male cat? Is it nerve damage? Could the first procedure of catheterizing him have punctured something that is causing him to block and not to pee? or another illness that I am over looking?

I love my cat and will do anything but don't want him to live a life suffering because of my greed to keep him alive - he really is trying to pee and we are trying everything to get him to pee - even I am considering this last surgery, but vet indicated that we should let him show us what he can do on his own. All I can say he is trying to pee and his values are good as they tell me... he is only 9 yrs old.

His stone removal surgery was yesterday January 9 2009, and he didn't pee as far as they know even today he hasn't January 10, 2009 I did get to see him today and won't get to see him again til Monday when they open. He was quite groggy and didn't seem himself, except for him trying to pee. I have been sitting with him at the vets everyday he was showing great improvement before surgery that is why we opted for surgery - but today I am getting afraid as I have no update until Monday. And don't know what to do? Another surgery or catheter until he heals? On a lighter note does anyone know a pee dance..lol
Thanks for reading if you can help, I would really appreciate it...
tlogan and Fluffy

Dr Lee
January 11th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Has anyone heard of a surgery to change the way the male cat pees? (basically making a male cats penis like a female cats genitalia and it would allow him to pass stones or blood clots that are possibly blocking him)

Has anyone with a male cat gone through this surgery? How did things turn out? And what are the issues you have currently or had after surgery?

It is called a PU or perineal urethrostomy and it works very well. I have had many patients that have undergone this procedure and done very well.

Dr Lee
January 11th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Second Question is - Is there another issue that maybe causing the cat to block? Is it the actual penis in the male cat? Is it nerve damage? Could the first procedure of catheterizing him have punctured something that is causing him to block and not to pee? or another illness that I am over looking?

Yes, other causes can be present but for most all male cats, it is crystal/mucous/stone/etc that get lodged in the distal urethra of the penis. Nerve damage can occasionally play a part but not as a usual problem. There can be damage from catheterization but also not typical. The placement of the catheter always causes inflammation which can be frustrating but it usually minimal and self limiting.

Also if the surgery was just yesterday, then it is not unusual that he did not urinate today. Hopefully he will have started to urinate within the next 48 hours.

Dr Lee
January 11th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I love my cat and will do anything but don't want him to live a life suffering because of my greed to keep him alive - he really is trying to pee and we are trying everything to get him to pee - even I am considering this last surgery, but vet indicated that we should let him show us what he can do on his own. All I can say he is trying to pee and his values are good as they tell me... he is only 9 yrs old.

It sounds like you and your vet are doing everything that you can to help him through this difficult time. I would not give up now by any means. Hopefully he has at least another wonderful eleven years or so with you! Sounds like your vet is monitoring him and will let you know when and if the PU surgery is indicated. It is not a surgery to be rushed into if you do not have to (but does work well, if needed).

Best wishes during this difficult time. :cat:

tlogan
January 11th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I would like to know if the PU surgery guarantees the cat to pee? or is there still a chance of him not being able to pee?

I don't want to give up, for sure I don't. The vet said that she would call me with an update tonight Saturday, January 10th, 2009 before 10:30pm as I was working until then - and I haven't received a call. I am just hoping there is no bad news... I have heartburn, my eyes are swollen from crying and I think I have a bladder infection from all of this.

She must have forgotten or had an emergency to deal with, I hope to get a call Sunday, January 11, 2009.

I just didn't know how he should be after surgery as this is his second one in 9yrs his first was to neuter him at 6 months of age and he didn't have any side effects or noticeable issues with that one.

She did tell me he is a big kitty and there were 4 layers to sew up and lots of adipose tissue in his belly - he really is trying to pee - I just don't want to put him into renal failure by waiting to long - as I think almost happened this past Monday, January 5th 2009. I had to encourage her to put another catheter in him and leave it in longer than 24hrs- everyone was amazed how his levels went back to normal - then they didn't take out the catheter they just did surgery to remove stones

So catch 22 take catheter out and wait and do surgery to remove stones to have him block or go right to surgery and hope for the best. How long to wait for him to pee and what to do if he doesn't ?

sugarcatmom
January 11th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I would like to know if the PU surgery guarantees the cat to pee? or is there still a chance of him not being able to pee?

Many years ago, one of my cats needed the PU surgery when he was 2 years old. He kept re-blocking while in the emergency clinic and it was decided that removing his penis was the safest option. He did absolutely fine after that. One thing I would recommend though is changing your cat's food. While having the PU done will eliminate the problem of blockage, it doesn't prevent the crystals from still forming. A WET food diet will help with that. Do you know what type of crystals he has? Struvite? Calcium Oxalate? Or maybe one of the rarer ones?

Good luck, and let us know how he's doing.

rhartjr
January 11th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Since it sounds like you have a good vet working with Fluffy I'd probably trust her guidance on how to proceed from this point on.

We had the PU surgery done on one of our cats almost 2 years ago. After three straight Friday night trips to the emergency vet due to blockages the third time we left him and had the surgery done. He was about three and a half at the time and came through the sugery fine.

The toughest part for him was isolating him in the back room while he healed and he hated not being with the rest of the cats and with us. Needed an e collar and a different litter (Yesterdays News instead of the clumping stuff). He healed up just fine and has been blockage free for almost two years now.

Good luck with Fluffy hope everything works out. What do you feed him, canned or kibble?

tlogan
January 11th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the interest and the feedback.

I am not sure what kind of crystals my cat Fluffy has, I was told by the vet that they looked like little mustard seeds the strangest looking ones she has ever seen. They are or have been sent to a lab for free analysis they will let me know what kind of crystals he had developed soon I hope so I will know what type of food to feed him during his recovery.....

Fluffy absolutely loves kibble over the wet food - My other cat Fred.... Fluffy's litter mate loves the canned food but looks for the dry kibble and drinks less then he usually does while eating the canned food that is to help get rid of any crystals .... I am just hoping that he doesn't get constipated his stools are less frequent and very small.... the vet said to give him vasoline to keep him on track as this is hard to fix when they are constipated. She also mentioned that the canned food is better absorbed in the cats and that is why less stool then a store brand and it is just the right amount of water for cats... He is having two pee's and a pooh daily so far.

I was feeding both of my cats Science Diet by Hills and Royal Canine which were both dry kibble and both of my cats drank out of their bowls fresh water daily and out of a dripping tap. Their water bowls were almost empty at the end of the day.
Then I remember a vet saying to me that cats can eat wet food just like humans so I thought I would give them a change and buy them some wet food for a treat. So I went and bought them canned food a Wellness brand which was to be natural and the best thing for them - high quality but no real measurement of the protein, phosphorous, magnesium ratio - they just listed the ingredients. The vet said that in order to feed the cats properly you need to know the proper levels as some ingredients will cause the cats to form stones/crystals. I am not sure I did them any favours by doing that as Fluffy's issues may have started around that time when I started buying them the canned food for a change.

So, I will see Fluffy Monday morning and see his progress and hopefully he has peed on his own and he won't require further surgery, but that option still exists for me... considering his recent history just not sure if they can do it here on the island.

I will let everyone know more once I know..

Thanks to all

tlogan
January 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM
what is an e collar?

Love4himies
January 12th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I am sorry to hear that your boy is going through all of this, sounds like he is in good hands.

The best way to stop the crystals is a wet, quality diet. Most crystals/stones are caused from improper urinary ph and lack of water to flush the kidneys.

Best diet for them is a raw diet, that is properly formulated to meet their nuturional needs. The second, is a quality, grain free, high meat content canned food. Dry kibble is should never be fed to cats who have a history of crystals or stones.

Here are some good nutritional/info sites to look through:
http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/Pages/Bladder_Stones_Obstruct_Web.pdf

http://www.catinfo.org/

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1402&aid=2729

The best canned foods that I could find are:

Nature's Variety canned (my favourite)

http://www.naturesvariety.com/instinct_cat_can

Organics, by Nature:

http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/productpages/organiccannedcat.php#ttl

Wellness, grain free varieties:

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_wellness_can_beef_chicken.html

Good luck with your boy :grouphug:

badger
January 12th, 2009, 11:46 AM
PLEASE don't give your cat vasoline, it is oil-based and is not intented to be used internally. If he is constipated, flavourless Metamucil is much better (available at any pharmacy) - 1/2 teaspoon mixed in with wet food.

Love4himies
January 12th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Just out of curiousity, was the Wellness variety a fish flavour?

Adriann27
January 12th, 2009, 02:48 PM
My cat Sebastian had such a blockage that it ruptured his urethra. The Vet had to do emergency surgery and actually put the cath in from the inside out. Sebastian had a 50/50 chance of developing scar tissue in his urethra and dying but we left the cath in for I think a week, in hopes that the urethra would heal around it. It was a long, long process but, he is doing very well today! Thank God. We changed his diet, etc.

I hope your baby has a full recovery! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

tlogan
January 15th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Best diet for them is a raw diet, that is properly formulated to meet their nuturional needs. The second, is a quality, grain free, high meat content canned food. Dry kibble is should never be fed to cats who have a history of crystals or stones.

I actually was given the advice to feed my guys dry food - by Science Diet c/d and s/d that would help them not to develop crystals because of the ph balance - by a vet in London Ontario they were on it for the good part of eight years - they are 9 now.

However, my new vet told me that they are finding out that even that mix wasn't good for all cats and they are still finding cats forming crystals too on certain science diet products... I actually thought I could get the same benefits from the pet store brands as fluffy was having diarrhea on the c/d, s/d at times and my fred would throw it up. It was expensive and thought that the cats weren't getting the benefits if that was happening. So, I thought going to the pet store and looking at the science diet for sensitive stomach, oral care etc.

My cats have a water fountain and love dry food they have been on it most of their lives- and really that was indicated by the litter box - I did find fluffy kind of squatting in the litter box, so it seems his penis may have been sitting right in the litter frequently and maybe that is where the blockage started, I don't know... the questionnaire for the lab to test the crystals wanted to know the brand of litter?? My other cat braces himself on the litter box so he doesn't get his feet dirty, I guess, funny to see.

Fluffy had to be catheterized again on the weekend, they found 4 more stones blocking the catheter so they are trying to break them down by a mild acid they use to help get the catheter in - he has lost lots of weight, he was 17.5 now I am not sure but looks like about 13lbs, It could be because of the fluid blocking that was the weight, not sure. He also seems very week I hope this hasn't created another problem.

as for the wellness brands that I bought, it was chicken, beef and turkey. My cats absolutely loved them - I have always stayed away from fish flavours no matter what kind I bought, I was just told that that could harm male cats. True or not I don't know.

I am just hoping this all works out... poor fluffy ....thanks for the well wishes..
and the links for info...

tlogan

tlogan
January 15th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Hello Badger

PLEASE don't give your cat vasoline, it is oil-based and is not intented to be used internally. If he is constipated, flavourless Metamucil is much better (available at any pharmacy) - 1/2 teaspoon mixed in with wet food.

I have conflicting reports on petroleum/mineral oil based products, I did read on the forum not to use it and the vet said that in small quantities it would be ok as it isn't digestable and that the problem is that oil based products usually get squirted into the cats mouths and they may aspirate into their lungs and cause pneumonia.

I don't disagree with what you are saying I had the same concerns, but I was looking at after hour call from my vet, I described the situation with the food for my cat still at home and she said the above to me...I hope that I didn't miss quote her in anyway..

I did just buy a product from the vet called tonic-lax that can be given to cats or dogs and it has both petroleum and mineral oil for the above reason, I do have little needle plunger and have used it for my cats and could see myself doing something wrong not intentionally but in trying to help... this is just a little on their paw and they lick it off..

thanks for your concern, I did have the same one and I don't have it in their regular routine just didn't want Fred to be all bunged up and off to the vets, as I have been reading that is a real problem with cats enemas etc.

tlogan

tlogan
January 15th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I was thinking that the metamucil product, people have to drink lots and lots of water to get it through their system.

If cats don't truly drink lots of water and their canned food should supply the required amount of water based on the food allotment for the day etc. Wouldn't that do just the opposite as fiber can do to people. I work with the disabled population and we have lots of issues surrounding bowel movements... and I know the water thing to be true...

How do you handle that ... I mean the water with cats.. I do have a water fountain and my cat Fred seems not to be drinking as much...

tlogan

tlogan
January 15th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Hello Adriann27

My cat Sebastian had such a blockage that it ruptured his urethra. The Vet had to do emergency surgery and actually put the cath in from the inside out. Sebastian had a 50/50 chance of developing scar tissue in his urethra and dying but we left the cath in for I think a week, in hopes that the urethra would heal around it. It was a long, long process but, he is doing very well today! Thank God. We changed his diet, etc.

I hope your baby has a full recovery! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

thank you

that is neat I will have to inform my vet of that - in hind sight that would have worked with fluffy as his penis was to small and inflamed to get a larger catheter in to have the stones flow out of it.. After going through the surgery and all that would have made sense... and maybe less chance for infection???

thanks glad your guy is better... and for the prayers...

tlogan

badger
January 15th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I see your point, and have in fact given products like Tonic-lax to my own cats - but sparingly - for hairballs. But when it comes to constipation, I have had good results with Metamucil. If you're worried about his liquid intake, give him 1/4 teaspoon a day in his wet food (the human dose is a 'rounded' teaspoon) and add more water.

Love4himies
January 15th, 2009, 07:19 AM

I actually was given the advice to feed my guys dry food - by Science Diet c/d and s/d that would help them not to develop crystals because of the ph balance - by a vet in London Ontario they were on it for the good part of eight years - they are 9 now.

:eek: The best way to prevent stones or crystals is by flushing them out when they are small or keeping the kidneys and bladder flushed before they even begin to form. I will attach some links on this. There are two types of stones, one is struvite that is caused when the ph is too high, therefore akaline, and another called oxalate which is getting more and more common btw, and is formed when the urine is too acidic (low ph). You can get ph test strips, (sugarcatmom will be able to let you know where to get them) to test your kitty's urine.

However, my new vet told me that they are finding out that even that mix wasn't good for all cats and they are still finding cats forming crystals too on certain science diet products... I actually thought I could get the same benefits from the pet store brands as fluffy was having diarrhea on the c/d, s/d at times and my fred would throw it up. It was expensive and thought that the cats weren't getting the benefits if that was happening. So, I thought going to the pet store and looking at the science diet for sensitive stomach, oral care etc.

My cats have a water fountain and love dry food they have been on it most of their lives- and really that was indicated by the litter box - I did find fluffy kind of squatting in the litter box, so it seems his penis may have been sitting right in the litter frequently and maybe that is where the blockage started, I don't know... the questionnaire for the lab to test the crystals wanted to know the brand of litter?? My other cat braces himself on the litter box so he doesn't get his feet dirty, I guess, funny to see.

Fluffy had to be catheterized again on the weekend, they found 4 more stones blocking the catheter so they are trying to break them down by a mild acid they use to help get the catheter in - he has lost lots of weight, he was 17.5 now I am not sure but looks like about 13lbs, It could be because of the fluid blocking that was the weight, not sure. He also seems very week I hope this hasn't created another problem.

as for the wellness brands that I bought, it was chicken, beef and turkey. My cats absolutely loved them - I have always stayed away from fish flavours no matter what kind I bought, I was just told that that could harm male cats. True or not I don't know.

I am just hoping this all works out... poor fluffy ....thanks for the well wishes..
and the links for info...

tlogan

I am so sorry about poor fluffy. Attached are the links on stones and crystals in cats:
http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/Pages/Bladder_Stones_Obstruct_Web.pdf

http://www.animalhealthcare.ca/contents/content.asp?id=180&cat=cats

http://www.2ndchance.info/calculi.htm