Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Costco has new pet things in

onster
January 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Just came back from Costco, they seem to have a new ( or at least relatively new) shipnment of pet things. Lotsa new beds for dogs, some that I havent seen before. A box of 4/5 stuffies. A new cat tree and a wicker (?) cat bed...which I just had to buy :D I think chico has it too....IIve put it in front of the window so they dont always have to stand on their hind legs to look out.

Just thought I'd give the heads up because it seems whenever I go to costco they dont have much in for pets but they have lots now.

Im talking about the costco in Kitchener, but hopefully other costco's are stocked up too :thumbs up

onster
January 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Oh and one of the beds I noticed they have in is the orthopedic dog bed if anyone is looking for one

chico2
January 10th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Oh,oh I am going this week,would like to throw out the home-made cat-tree they love so much,but I am assuming the one at Costco is not very tall.
Hubby refuses to get more cat-beds:laughing:

onster
January 10th, 2009, 05:27 PM
The cat tree wasnt really one Id buy chico...it was small and not many perches.....I have not yet seen a commercial cat tree in my area that I like :shrug:

MommaKat
January 10th, 2009, 05:40 PM
How does the membership for Costco work? Do you have to renew it each year or monthly? or is it life time? the closest Costco is an hour away but I have been humming and hawing to make a trip. I have never been in a Costco :p:p

breeze
January 10th, 2009, 05:43 PM
you have to renew it yearly.

onster
January 10th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Its yearly (at least for us).

For us it works out that we pay nothing because we buy so much at costco :o that the rewards money we get at the end of the year (they send you a cheque) equals our membership. Were a big family when everyone is here (6...4 men!!!), have lotsa dinner parties and have a large deep freezer so it works out well 4 large food quantities. We like their non food items too and their tire centre is waaay cheaper than canadian tire for example for changing your tires seasonally. I just bought new winter wiper blades today too (also way cheaper than cndn tire) . Not everything is cheaper though so you have to be aware.

I know some people split the membership with their friends or something and that way sometimes if the packaging is just toooo much for one family they can split that too. Or you can find a friend who has a membership and will go shopping with you...in fact it gives them more 'points' to earn so actually theyll probably like it. We always pick up a few odds and ends for our nonmember friends.

If youre wanting to check it out and you can go and get a guest pass just that day and look through. You cant buy anyting but u can check out all the products find out membership prices etc and see if it would be worth it to you :thumbs up

MommaKat
January 10th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Cool, learn something new everyday :D:D I have to check it out :thumbs up

krdahmer
January 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I don't get to Costco much anymore as we let our membership expire... so now I have to tag along with my mom....but I know what you mean they always have litter, food and like maybe one dog bed, good that they are finally getting some variety!

As for a good tall cat tree... keep your eyes peeled for Petsmart every year or so they have a really good sale on them, I got that huge one (see if I can dig up the pic) for like $116... regularly close to $300 or something, 60 or 70% off! (And all the cat beds were $5 $10 & $15, thus why I have like 2 for each cat!:rolleyes:)

Found them... see, no sisal rope, but it's really sturdy and the kitties love it, I have it right beside the big front window.

Oh and Onster I also bought these ready made shelves in plain wood at home depot for like $6, and a couple of nicer white finished ones for about $10... I install them right under the window sills so they can sit to watch out (because they were either stretching to see out or teetering on the sills, and they are really easy to install).

Winston
January 10th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I saw those too! I had the wicker one in the cart but DH made a fuss! :cool:

Chico the cat tree is 58" high which isnt too bad! It only has one house type thing though so maybe only 1 kitty at a time? but it is kind of neat...and it was the chepaest I have seen them here 56.99...the wicker one was not a bad price either!

Onster I grabbed the balls and the stuffie set for a raffle basket that we are making up...:thumbs up

What I have learned about Costco is if you see if and want it you have to buy it then cause you never know what they get in...and they always take returns...

krdahmer
January 10th, 2009, 06:24 PM
What I have learned about Costco is if you see if and want it you have to buy it then cause you never know what they get in...and they always take returns...

Oh for sure... I can't count the number of times we've kicked ourselves for waiting 'till next time'! And then what we wanted is gone!

Frenchy
January 10th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I've been to the one near my work last week and noticed they had new pet stuff too.

Now that you mentioned about the membership .... I just noticed I didn't get my renewal in October (or November) :confused: so I didn't pay .... but my membership is still effective .... what's up with that ? :confused:

Rottielover
January 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I bought the 2 balls with the ropes, needless to say Harley destroyed those in seconds. LOL
But well worth the 10$ to watch him do it

Winston
January 10th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Frenchy that happens but they nab you at the cash regoster the next time your in...But they dont change your renewal date...you just cant shop till you pay it! :D

Rottielover those are the ones I grabbed too! Looked like a good buy for $10.00..I also grabbed the stuffies for $10.00 abd they are the ones that have no fill...

Frenchy
January 10th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Frenchy that happens but they nab you at the cash regoster the next time your in...But they dont change your renewal date...you just cant shop till you pay it! :D

But I went a couple times already .... oh darn , maybe they charged it to my credit card without sending me the renewal letter :eek:

Winston
January 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM
That is sooo funny! THey did that to us when we joined as an executive member cause you use the American Express one..You can go to the counter and have them take that off if you want.. We did...now we pay it cash rather than charging it...

Frenchy
January 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
naaaa.... maybe they think I'm too darn adorable and didn't charge me , that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :goodvibes:

Rottielover
January 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Before the ball and rope were destroyed, and Roxy had the left overs....the rope part, LOL

chico2
January 11th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Aww Rottielover,those are great pics:lovestruck:
We like onster also pay $100/yr for our membership,but we just this month got a rebate-check that covers the membership-fee twice,then we also get another 2% from American Express.
There are only 2 of us,but I take my son and his landlord shopping too,
We are Costco addicts:laughing:

chico2
January 11th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I think I paid only $19 for the wicker-bed,but that's a couple of years ago,I know I have a pic here somewhere..
I bought all 3 of these at Costco all under $20..

Tundra_Queen
January 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM
As for a good tall cat tree... keep your eyes peeled for Petsmart every year or so they have a really good sale on them, I got that huge one (see if I can dig up the pic) for like $116... regularly close to $300 or something, 60 or 70% off! (And all the cat beds were $5 $10 & $15, thus why I have like 2 for each cat!:rolleyes:)

Found them... see, no sisal rope, but it's really sturdy and the kitties love it, I have it right beside the big front window.

Oh and Onster I also bought these ready made shelves in plain wood at home depot for like $6, and a couple of nicer white finished ones for about $10... I install them right under the window sills so they can sit to watch out (because they were either stretching to see out or teetering on the sills, and they are really easy to install).

I love that cat tree!!! I'm soo jealous! I wish we had stores like that up here.

Debbie

onster
January 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
As for a good tall cat tree...my kitties dont like sisal that much anyway. keep your eyes peeled for Petsmart every year or so they have a really good sale on them, I got that huge one (see if I can dig up the pic) for like $116... regularly close to $300 or something, 60 or 70% off! (And all the cat beds were $5 $10 & $15, thus why I have like 2 for each cat!:rolleyes:)

Thanks for the tips KR!!! I love love your cat tree. Actually, to correct what I said before I have seen good cat trees but only at petsmart and yeah upwards of 300 dollars is beyond what im willing to spend!! I never knew they go on sale, pls if u ever notice a sale let me know! :goodvibes:

I think I paid only $19 for the wicker-bed,but that's a couple of years ago,I know I have a pic here somewhere..
I bought all 3 of these at Costco all under $20..
oooh great buys! I saw the last one the little house before. The thing is the only enclosed bed my cats seem to like (and only bunduk) is the cat bed from Egypt. Bunduk went to bed on top of the wicker bed today but still nobody venturing inside :frustrated: Its kinda different than yours tho chico , taller and darker. Ill take a pic soon. And its more expensive :yell: 36$ I think....i admit it was an impulse buy but my mom thought it was cute too so it was 2 against 1 (my dad) :D LOL i hea ya winston about DH/ DF (dear father) making a fuss :p

RL I would say thats money well spent too :thumbs up

onster
January 11th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Btw, if anyone is interested this seems a good deal for a cat tree in TO..unfortunate circumstances..but anyway, in case anyones interested. Seems a good deal.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-cats-kittens-for-sale-Everything-you-need-for-your-cat-W0QQAdIdZ98722600

chico2
January 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Onster,my cats all like to crawl in to things and sleep.
I just unzipped and cleaned the covers from the wicker-bed,did not even know I could do that.
Yours is probably better quality wicker,but I've had mine now for a few years.
I bought this one at a Pet-Smart sale,dirt-cheap,not very high,but the top part is Vinnies fave sleeping-spot.
I still have the one hubby made,the cats love it,not very attractive though:laughing:

lm9012
January 12th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I have to agree guys, Costco has some good pet deals! It's just me and my two furballs, but the $50 annual membership fee is worth it in what I save. Contact solution is super cheap there compared to the drugstore. It's good for soaps/shampoos, lotions, etc. too. Plus the vitamins/supplements. Albert takes about 6 pills a day..so it's worth it for me to buy a bottle of 400 pills! ha! the prices are way better than at a regular drugstore, even walmart.

the kitty litter is fairly cheap too. I get a box/bag of 40-50 lbs for about $12! I still can't find anywhere that beats that!

I haven't been in there since before the holidays, I'll have to make another stop since you guys mention new stuff is coming in. I have yet to find a good dog bed that doesn't get all smooshed. I bought one from there about a year ago, one of those round pillow beds, and right now I have an old down comforter that I fold in four, then i put the bed on top, with a thin orthopedic crate liner and a blanket on top of that. each night I have to fluff everything up. If i don't put all that stuff or fluff it each night, he ends up sleeping on the floor! he hates it all smooshed. But if i put all the layers and fluff it up, he stays in his bed and sleeps like a baby. he's only 40 lbs! I don't know why i can't find a decent bed..

anyway, I love all the kitty condo pics too! I would love to buy one, but i only have one cat, and i think it would be overload. Though I could imagine she'd love it! I ended up buying her a table and putting a comfy little bed on top, she jumps on the table, then curls up to sleep. During the night sometime she'll end up in my bed curled up with me anyway. :D

chico2
January 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Another good thing with Costco is their pharmacy,we are a"bit"older on a couple of meds,the dispensing fee is only $4.11,compared to Shoppers Drugmarts $11.99:yell:
lm9012,I also buy all our shampoos,detergents,body-soap and vitamins and stuff there,you cannot beat the price!
But best of all is their meat and cheese!

onster
February 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM
the cat bed I brought for my crew is on sale this week (instant rebate), $10 off if anyone is interested- that makes it 29.99

Also, the cat tree which was 59.99 is also $10 off and is now for 49.99

At petsmart, some of the cat trees are on sale. I remembered seeing one particular one on youtube earlier in mean kitty dude's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1A8Iih4glQ) The one on the right at 2 minutes 35 seconds in (2:35) with the cat lying on it is $40 off from 150 someting to 110 or something like that :thumbs up

onster
February 12th, 2009, 04:23 PM
this is the bed thats 29.99 now

chico2
February 12th, 2009, 05:32 PM
That's a great video,love the cat-trees,unfortunately I am not allowed to buy any more cat-stuff:laughing:
I saw you wicker-bed,it's a bit smaller than ours,but better quality I am sure.
Maybe for Valentines I'll ask for a cat-tree:laughing: