Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bully cat, causes my cat to need surgery.

Akira
January 10th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Well my morning did not start off well today. As I was preparing to make breakfast my cat tig (who rarely makes a peep) started loudly meowing. So I went to try and pick him up lightly from under the belly and it hurt him so I tried to pick him up from behind and when I did so he attacked me and blood gushed all over the place. So at this point I am freaking out waking up my husband and getting everything ready to take him to the vet. We get there the vet shaves his belly and hes got an area full of deep holes about the size of the bottom of a pop can. He is home with us now, all doped up but has to go in for surgery on monday. I know what animal did this to him and I dont know what to do about it. In the summer this friendly cat started comming around our house and I was feeding it cause the poor thing was starving. But it had a collar and a rabies tag, We call the place on the tag and the vet will not tell us who the owners are or where they live, anything. So since then this cat has still been comming around, and has been bullying other cats. A friend of ours pulled in the driveway a few days ago to find tig and this bully in quite the scrap so I figure this is where he got the injury from. If I see the cat again should I surrender it? or should I call the cats vet and tell them what happend and try and find out how I can get a hold of the cats owner? I don't want this happening to another cat, or to my cat again. Not only is it very sad and painful for my boy its very expensive. So any input on my situation would be apreciated. Thank you

mummummum
January 10th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I'm very sorry that your cat is in pain.

Realistically, you have no means of proving that your cat was injured by anything or anyone as he was not under your care and control when the injury happened. If he had been, under your care and control that is, then you may have been able to stop it and your cat would not have been injured at all or as as greatly and would not be in pain now.

Respectfully, but bluntly, this is not the "bully" cat or your cat's fault, it is yours, for failing to realize risk. If you do not want to see your cat injured in this way again then it is your job to protect him from harm by not allowing him to roam freely. Consider allowing him outside on leash or off leash in a contained area where you are supervising him at all times. :2cents:

chico2
January 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I agree with 3Xmum,but I hope your kitty will be ok:fingerscr
If you find out who the owner is,or if he even has an owner:fingerscryou can talk to her,but I doubt it will do any good,since you both let your cats roam.
Cat-fights can seriously hurt a cat,but are very common among outdoor kitties,if I were you,I would not take that risk again.
Also,if you know he is not a stray,stop feeding him,I hate to say that,because he might be a hungry stray:sad:
Good Luck!!

Akira
January 10th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I agree with you too. I guess there is no way of proving it. But should I surrender him in hopes that he will find a better owner that will actualy take care of him? Because one time he came and he had his leg stuck in his collar so we took it off and threw it out, it was very ratty and too big. So im thinking that his owners just abandoned him.

Soo, surrender a possibly owned cat for a chance at a better life or no?

chico2
January 10th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Akira,it depends,do you have a no-kill shelter or maybe a rescue,then it should be ok.
It's miserable and cold out,if I could not take him myself,I would probably surrender him to a safe shelter,but first make sure he does not have an owner,if you can:fingerscr

luckypenny
January 10th, 2009, 04:51 PM
If it's not this cat that fought with yours, then there will always be another. I think letting him out on leash, only with supervision, as Mx3 suggested, is the only way to ensure his well being.

Soo, surrender a possibly owned cat for a chance at a better life or no?

How about just bringing him to the vet that's listed on the cat's tag :shrug:?

krdahmer
January 10th, 2009, 05:22 PM
That's what I was thinking... take the cat to this vet or call the vet again, ask them to contact the owners and leave your number so that you can talk to them directly, if you don't hear from them then maybe contact a rescue that might be able to help sort out whether he has a home or not.

Hope your kitty gets better soon:goodvibes:

And another vote here for keeping your kitty indoors, so much safer!:thumbs up

Love4himies
January 10th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Oh yes, if there is a bully cat around please keep your kitty protected by only allowing him supervised outdoor time. :pray:. I know it seems unfair to you, but it is to protect your baby.

Snowball was attacked by a bully cat, it was horrifying to watch, he ended up with a horribly infected bite wound on his chest.

lUvMyLaB<3
January 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
If you know the owner maybe it is a good idea to talk to them about the cat, nicley. If you let your cats roam I know it would be heartbreaking if someone thought they were strays and sent them to a shelter or took them into their home. You should think about trying to keep your cat inside, hope your kitty feels better soon. Cat bites can be horrid and get very infected they always leave some bacteria behind.. Good luck!!!

chico2
January 11th, 2009, 07:40 AM
The vet in question,if he cares about the kitty,would surely let you know who the owner is,or contact them himself.

Tundra_Queen
January 11th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your cat's injury. The first thing I would find out is if this cat has an up to date rabies shot! I know u said he had a tag, but was is the date on the tag? And I would really start keeping your furbaby in the house. Indoor cats live much longer than outdoor cats. You could put a bird feeder in front of a window for him to watch the birds and that would keep him busy.

Why does he have to wait until Monday to have surgery?

Debbie

Akira
January 12th, 2009, 12:25 PM
He had to wait cause the vets closed on sundays.

The vet this cat belongs to wont give me any info on the people who are supposed to own the cat, and I doubt he'll contact them, he doesnt seem like a very nice guy. The rabies tag on the cat was for 07 so im guessing its shots werent up to date.

Yea im gonna keep Tig in all the time now, I didn't let him out all that often in the first place and never at night so I didn't expect this to happen. But hes at the vet right now getting all fixed up, we'll be picking him up in a few hours :goodvibes: I can't wait till he can play with the dogs again, its sad having to seperate them.

What I think im going to do is surrender the cat, give them the number to get a hold of the cats vet and they can take it from there. Sound like an alright idea or should I leave the cat alone?

catlover2
January 12th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I think you should just chalk this up as a very painful experience for your cat to go through and hope he has an excellent recovery and a very expensive one for your negligence in letting your cat outdoors.

When you have negligent neighbours who let their cats roam, there's really nothing that you can do about it. You could tell the "bully" cat's owner what happened to your cat, but you've only got yourself to blame.

Cats allowed outdoors are an open target for aggressive cats, dogs, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, skunks, and owls.

myboydallas
January 12th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I have never been an advocate of letting cats roam around, unsupervised outside.....not only do they have to contend with others cats staking a territory, there are dogs, cars, coyotes, etc. In additon to those threats, quite honestly, there are too many whacked out people who will take an animal to purposly hurt it or others that collect them for lab testing!!!!!! NO THANKS! My critters (all of them) are under my watchful eye at all times. The only time my cats go outside is if we're in the back yard (which of course is fully fenced for the dogs) and when Dallas is out with me - Dallas is trained in sheep herding and he's great at wrangling in cats like there's no tomorrow........I agree with the other posters - take the cat to the Vet clinic that is on his rabies tag.

Akira
January 12th, 2009, 02:43 PM
okay okay, i'm not gonna let my cat roam anymore :sorry:
I guess I never took into concideration how dangerous it is. But I definately know now.

But what if the vet just gives him back to the owners and they do nothing? This cat comes into my backyard and sits in our kitchen window and makes my dogs and our other 2 cats crazy. This cat is a big pain. But I feel bad cause the cat is really a sweetheart and I think the reason hes a bit of a bully could be because hes not fixed. Theres strays all over our area, tig was actualy a stray kitten we found. :sad: I dont know what to do..

Tundra_Queen
January 12th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Akira, I'm sorry this happened to your cat. The thing that has me the most worried is rabies. Is there a roaming law against cats in your area? We aren't allowed to let our cats roam up here. I was just wondering if u could call animal control for your city? Tell them what happened and ask if u captured the cat if they would come and get it or u could take it to them? Also, if u know which vet clinic it is, ask your vet if he could get a hold of the other vet and talk to him. Just a thought.

I sure hope your kitty will be ok. And I'm glad your going to keep your kitty inside now. :)

Debbie

NoahGrey
January 12th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Cats are very territoral.

PLEASE keep you cat indoors at all times. I am going to say that this other cat is an outdoor. The reason why it comes around, is because you are acting like a food source and feeding it.

So, even confining the cat and calling you local animal shelter (whoever does animal control), more so then not, the cat will probably be returned to it's owners and they will just let it outside again.

Do you have a by-law in your area that pertains to cats roaming? This might be the only way of getting the owners to keep their cat inside. If you do have such a by-law, an ACO will cite them for letting their cat roam off their property.

ACO22

Akira
January 12th, 2009, 03:22 PM
There actualy might be, the bylaws for pets are pretty strict around here. Good idea guys, thanks. I'm off to get tig now, i'll let you guys know how hes doing and if anything can be done about the other cat. Thanks again!:goodvibes:

chico2
January 12th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Akira,hope Tig is ok:fingerscr
This other poor cat,might have been roaming the neighborhood for a long time,might be abandoned and chances are,if he is not neutered,he will be euthanized,depending on the shelter:sad:

I have a beautiful Calico coming in to my backyard,every night,my cats go crazy watching her from the window,so we have to shoo her away.
I am the one who had to go tell the owner about her other Calico,who got killed by a car,Humane Society picked up her little body off the street:sad:.
I have talked to the lady,who one week later had another Calico,but to no avail this one is also roaming outside all night.
How could anyone sleep,knowing their cat is outside to face all the dangers,it beats me:yell:

mummummum
January 12th, 2009, 08:01 PM
How could anyone sleep,knowing their cat is outside to face all the dangers,it beats me:yell:

It's a heart-breaker isn't it?

Akira ~ big :thumbs up to you for accepting our, I hope, gentle and constructive criticism ~ you're a good "guardian" :grouphug::. Were you able to find out if there is a cat rescue in the Collingwood area and whether they can help with trapping?

I hope Tig's on the mend. :fingerscr

Jim Hall
January 12th, 2009, 08:18 PM
wishing tigs the best

TwistedAngel
January 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Firstly, I hope Tigs does well.

Secondly, I would like to request that people stop attacking her for letting her cat outdoors. She already apologized and said she wouldn't do it again, but that is beside the point. While I don't believe in keeping a cat outdoors exclusively, IMO there is nothing wrong with letting one go out if you don't live in a dangerous or high traffic area. Amber goes in and out as she pleases. Mind you, she is inside 80% of the time, and I never force her to go out, but if it isn't dark outside and she asks to be let out, I don't stop her.
The fact that you disagree with her methods of care doesn't make her negligent. It means you disagree. My vet believes I am negligent and possibly borderline abusive to Amber simply because I feed her a balanced RAW diet instead of science diet dry food.

This isn't an attack on anyone. I am simply requesting that people keep an open mind and avoid jumping on anyone that does things differently. How would all the house cat owners feel if someone posted that keeping a cat inside all the time is abusive or negligent? There really are people who feel that way. (I am not one of them, I am just making a point).

Peace all.

chico2
January 13th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Twisted Angel,I do not feel that the OP was attacked by anyone,but if you love your cat,want your cat to be safe you do not let him roam.
My cats have always gone outside,every day,for as long as I've had cats,but always supervised,never alone.
Even now in the cold of winter,my husband bundles up and takes them out for 2 minutes,them thinking it might be warm,until they find out that's not the case:laughing:
But we have the benefit of being at home and have a secure,fenced in backyard.
Also,believe or not,our cats have been trained from kitten-hood on not to jump the fence.

Love4himies
January 13th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Firstly, I hope Tigs does well.

Secondly, I would like to request that people stop attacking her for letting her cat outdoors. She already apologized and said she wouldn't do it again, but that is beside the point. While I don't believe in keeping a cat outdoors exclusively, IMO there is nothing wrong with letting one go out if you don't live in a dangerous or high traffic area. Amber goes in and out as she pleases. Mind you, she is inside 80% of the time, and I never force her to go out, but if it isn't dark outside and she asks to be let out, I don't stop her.
The fact that you disagree with her methods of care doesn't make her negligent. It means you disagree. My vet believes I am negligent and possibly borderline abusive to Amber simply because I feed her a balanced RAW diet instead of science diet dry food.

This isn't an attack on anyone. I am simply requesting that people keep an open mind and avoid jumping on anyone that does things differently. How would all the house cat owners feel if someone posted that keeping a cat inside all the time is abusive or negligent? There really are people who feel that way. (I am not one of them, I am just making a point).

Peace all.

I don't believe any unsupervised outside time where a cat can leave the yard is safe for any cat, doesn't matter where you live. There is always the possibility of poison left out by a neighbour (as innocent as paint thinner, oil based stain, antifreeze, slug bait, etc.) and if there is a road nearby, busy or not, there is always a chance of the cat getting hit by a car. If the cat lives out in the country there are predators that would love to have a juicy kitty for dinner. Also, there are evil neighbours that don't appreciate cats who can capture them and take them for a ride out to the country or poison them.

I do realize there are some cats who have been rescued who would be absolutly miserable outside (former feral/semi ferals). Then you need to balance quality with quantity of life.

BTW, if I had your vet, I would consider changing if you could. A balance RAW is best for your kitty.

Just my :2cents:.

Akira
January 14th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Well Tig is doing great, you'd almost think nothing happend to him. But I kinda wish I hadn't asked anything :shrug: I asked for an opinion on what I should do about the poor roaming cat and now look at this thread. It's really not about what I asked. You guys made me feel like a bad "gaurdian" when i'm not. I love my pets like they are my childen, and I do the best I can to ensure nothing bad happens to them. Through most of my life I have had cats and most of them were allowed outside and this was the first incident of somthing bad happening from going outside. I think where you live is important and does make a difference. I don't agree with "outdoor" cats, but letting them out for an hour or 2 durring the day isn't going to get them killed. I will however be keeping tig in for the rest of the winter and he'll get to see outside when srping comes, just not quite as often as before. Boo and hiss at me all you want, he was a stray and he loves the outdoors so I won't keep it from him. :cat:

14+kitties
January 15th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Akira - Have you checked out......

http://www.mycollingwood.ca/Benji_has_72_hours_to_live!.asp

Georgian Bay Animal Rescue, or checked to see if there are any other rescues in Wasaga Beach area.

I guess with it being such a tourist draw/camp site/etc there are probably people who come to the cottage with cats and then leave them to fend for themselves when they are gone again.

Kind of funny when I googled No kill shelters that this thread came up. :D

Has Collingwood managed to raise enough money yet for the No kill shelter they have been working on for so long?

Love4himies
January 15th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Well Tig is doing great, you'd almost think nothing happend to him. But I kinda wish I hadn't asked anything :shrug: I asked for an opinion on what I should do about the poor roaming cat and now look at this thread. It's really not about what I asked. You guys made me feel like a bad "gaurdian" when i'm not. I love my pets like they are my childen, and I do the best I can to ensure nothing bad happens to them. Through most of my life I have had cats and most of them were allowed outside and this was the first incident of somthing bad happening from going outside. I think where you live is important and does make a difference. I don't agree with "outdoor" cats, but letting them out for an hour or 2 durring the day isn't going to get them killed. I will however be keeping tig in for the rest of the winter and he'll get to see outside when srping comes, just not quite as often as before. Boo and hiss at me all you want, he was a stray and he loves the outdoors so I won't keep it from him. :cat:

Only takes a second to get hit by a car. I thought the same as you way back when. My kitties were only allowed out when I was at home, during daylight and during the summer. A neighbour left a paint roller pan under his deck with a bit of paint thinner in it and guess what: took a second for Puddles to jump into it and get thinner all over her paws. She then licked it off and just about died (good thing I had a fantastic cat vet who saved her life). I did not see her jump into it and did not realize anything was wrong until hours after she came into the house, but after a very expensive blood analysis, the vet asked if we had turpintine (sp??) around the house, because that was what he suspected was the poison. We looked outside and found the rolling pan.

You say you love your cats like your children but would allow your young children to wonder the neighbourhood unsupervised?

Akira
January 15th, 2009, 10:55 AM
They have almost completely finished the shelter now it looks amazing, it's huge. It can hold about 180 cats and 100 dogs! The person that designed the place did a great job. In the dog section, each kennel has a door that goes to the outside and the cats have a big room just for hanging out with the other cats. :p

No, I wouldn't let my young children wonder the neighbourhood unsupervised. But I won't stick my child in a bubble of protection either. Tig is not a young child, and he doesnt just wonder the neighbourhood, he barely ever leaves our property and when he does leave our property, it's when hes crossing the backyard fence into our neighbours who love him and they have pets who love him too. If I can go outside and call for him and hes at my doorstep in around 10 secs. hes not wondering far. The only time i'm really not outside when hes out is in the winter, so i'll be basicaly supervising him in the summer.

NoahGrey
January 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I don't agree with "outdoor" cats, but letting them out for an hour or 2 durring the day isn't going to get them killed. I will however be keeping tig in for the rest of the winter and he'll get to see outside when srping comes, just not quite as often as before. Boo and hiss at me all you want, he was a stray and he loves the outdoors so I won't keep it from him. :cat:

*sigh*. I don't know what to say to you. You say you don't agree with "outdoor" cats. Wheather you have him out for an hour or more, you put him outside, he is an outdoor cat.

Your comment about leaving him out for an hour or two isn't going to get him killed. Tell that to the traffic, coyotes, other wildlife, etc.

I hope that you don't get a call from your local Animal Control, that they have picked up your loved cat and will be bringing him back in a garbage bag.

ACO22

sugarcatmom
January 15th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Akira is perfectly capable of deciding what's best for his/her cat. Every situation is different and I'm not a fan of blanket statements that don't account for an individual's circimstances.

Love4himies
January 15th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Akira is perfectly capable of deciding what's best for his/her cat. Every situation is different and I'm not a fan of blanket statements that don't account for an individual's circimstances.

:confused:

sugarcatmom
January 15th, 2009, 01:14 PM
:confused:

What I mean is that Akira has been made aware of the risks of letting a cat outside, at this point the decision is up them. Making comments about his cat being brought home in a garbage bag are unnecessary.

BenMax
January 15th, 2009, 01:29 PM
What I mean is that Akira has been made aware of the risks of letting a cat outside, at this point the decision is up them. Making comments about his cat being brought home in a garbage bag are unnecessary.

ACO22 is very direct and does not sugar coat what her reality is. It's her way of saying that this happens on a daily basis and to avoid it - just keep the cat indoors.

I think it's just 'to the point'.:)

Love4himies
January 15th, 2009, 01:36 PM

In ACO22's line of work I am sure she sees this quite frequently and was just trying to warn this person. The same as I was doing when I mentioned the poison that Puddles got into. I thought I was a very good mommy too, I now know that I must do more to protect my kitties from outside dangers and there are so many out there.

Anyways, this is off topic, sorry.

Akira
January 15th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Thank you sugarcat. Look, I live on a dead end street with 4 houses on it. Everyone knows tig and there are 2 other cats that go outside that everyone knows. Tig doesn't go near the road he stays in our backyard and the neighbours. The good thing about only letting him out in the summer, is that if i'm home to let him out I will be out there with him :) I may not be able to keep my eye on him at all times, but he won't go far.

Alright, after writing that ^ and reading it ive decided tig will only come out when i'm outside aswell.. you convinced me :rolleyes:

No sign of the other cat though, maybe his owners realized cause im sure tig put up a good fight. When the cat comes around again im gonna see if hes once again starving and if he is i'll call GBAR. Thanks for that link 14+ Kitties :lovestruck:

Love4himies
January 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM
So glad to hear you will be keeping an eye on him outside. Even a small leak of antifreeze from a neighbours vehicle can be toxic to your baby.

How is your kitty doing?

Akira
January 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Hes doing great. Only a few more days left of antibiotics and then he should be good as new. :p

Love4himies
January 16th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I am glad to hear that :thumbs up

Longblades
January 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM
A bully cat in the neighbourhood is a tough situation. In our case it was a stray but I didn't find that out till the night it got hit on the road, killed, and I phoned the people I thought were the owners. For some strange reason it was beating up all the neighbour's cats but not ours. We hardly ever saw it.

We were the only people with a safely fenced yard for our dog, or a dog at all, so I wondered if the presence of the dog in our yard kept that cat away? Is your yard fenced safely enough for the pups to make their presence known there? Our dog was only outside when we were home, same as our cat. And never out at night, which I think was a problem with one set of neighbours who let their cats stay out at night.

P.S. For a stray it was in remarkably good shape, plump and a glorious long, clean coat. In my experience longhaired strays get ratty looking pretty quickly. I called all the neighbours and no one claimed that cat. He's buried in our backyard.

Akira
January 16th, 2009, 05:35 PM
This cat taunts my dogs, hes not afraid them at all. Our huge dog was going nuts, viciously nuts for this cat under our deck and the cat just sat there. I had to try and get him under control and get him inside which isn't an easy task when he weighs as much as I do lol. Everyone on the street has been keeping an eye out for this cat, but no sign since the fight with tig. I hope his owners realized, and that nothing bad happend to him. If anything happens i'll be sure to update. :)