Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help from fellow vegitarins

NoahGrey
January 10th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Hey,

As some of you may know, I am a vegitarin. I am looking for veggie deli meats for sandwichs and such. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

ACO22

Dracko
January 10th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I take it to mean you are a vegetarian?

If so, you can find Yves products in most supermarkets. http://www.yvesveggie.com/products/deli-slices.php Otherwise I would suggest finding a local health food store.

Khari
January 10th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I am looking for veggie deli meats for sandwichs and such. Can anyone help me out?

I too am vegetarian...I see them all the time at Safeway, Sobey's (IGA), Superstore, Health Food Stores (Organza Market in Winnipeg).

Whenever you are in a grocery store take a look for their vegetarian/ meatless section. Sometimes you can find meatless type foods right next to the meats. I purchased a mushroom and swiss vegetarian burger yesterday at Superstore that was right next to the regular beef burgers in the frozen section. Just keep your eyes open....

Good Luck!
Kerri

badger
January 10th, 2009, 03:07 PM
There are plenty of fake meats out there (Yves is the principal source here in Quebec), but they are not cheap. The weiners are good, for that campfire feeling ;), especially the spicy ones.

joeysmama
January 10th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Yves is a good product. I especially like their veggie ground round. I've cooked with that a lot. It makes a really good meatloaf. Sometimes I puree it in batches to grind it up a little more. The finer texture seems to sit a little better with meat eaters. For a special occasion I'll make some stuffing and put a layer of "meat", a layer of stuffing and then another layer of meat. When you slice it you get a nice stuffed meatloaf.

Or I'll layer snow peas , corn and other veggies in the center and top with a cheese (or soy cheese) sauce.

I've noticed that in the regular supermarkets (as opposed to the health food stores) the veggie meats, including the deli style meats, are in the produce section.

mummummum
January 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I've never been a major fan of Yves. I find their products all have the same odd taste ~ a plastic taste mixed with rice husks and that fake wood smoke you buy in a bottle. :shrug: It's also waaaaaaaaay over-priced.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of preparing or buying tempeh mixes , you might want to think about (for this coming season) roasting and freezing some fruits and veggies for later dehydration.

You can use almost any veg or fruit you like. You will need an overn or BBQ, a freezer and a dehydrator.

For instance, with red peppers, I cut a pepper in quarters, blacken then skin (under the broiler or over the BBQ flame) then pop them in a glass baking dish with a tightly fitting lid. After skinning them, I pop the peppers into a freezer bag once they've cooled (you can save the extra juice in a container for addition to soups, stews, sauces, coulis's etc.), making sure to get rid of as much air from the bag as possible. When it comes time to use them, I put them in the dehydrator until they lose their they squishiness but not so long that they become red pepper jerky :rolleyes: I used to hit the farmer's market and buy veg's by the basket for the coming year then do the thaw/ dehydrate on a weekly basis for a different mix and match sammich everyday.

Winston
January 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
ACO22

The yves products are good..I also check this link out one in awhile and have found some good recipes...

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,vegetarian_casserole,FF.html

Cindy

Khari
January 10th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I've noticed that in the regular supermarkets (as opposed to the health food stores) the veggie meats, including the deli style meats, are in the produce section.

The produce section - yes - that is exactly where I see it. Couldn't think of the exact section!

NoahGrey
January 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys,

Just went to my local grocery store and seen some veggie deli meats. Also seen the Yves products....the ground meatless looks good.

ACO22

joeysmama
January 10th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Another product that we like is Amy's. They're vegetarian and some of them are vegan. But if you want vegan be sure to read the package as some of the products do contain dairy. The Texas Burgers are very yummy and so are the vegetarian pot pies, and the frozen meatloaf dinner. Love love love this line of products !!!

mummummum
January 13th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I don't get it.

If you don't want to eat meat why do you want to eat something that tastes like meat?

onster
January 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM
:offtopic:

from my experience with friends..they dont wanna eat meat maybe for health or ethical/ moral/ religous reasons
but they dont deny that meat tastes good :D therefore something that tastes like meat but isnt meat is a bonus :thumbs up (at least thats what ive found from my vegetarian friends)

I find that those that were born not eating meat (say sikhs) never really wanna have meat substitutes.

For example, I have never eaten bacon and never felt any need to try turkey bacon or anything. In fact when I accidently have bacon (in a sanwhich or potatoe salad) I think its nasty :yuck: Like I will usually realize I have bacon in my food because i think it tastes bad :shrug: But then I know ppl who converted to Islam and theyre all for the bacon substitutes...

onster
January 13th, 2009, 01:12 PM
oh and another reason may be because u live with non vegetarians and you want to make one meal that makes everyone happy :D If it tastes like meat, meat eaters wont complain :thumbs up

joeysmama
January 13th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Onster, you're right. When I maintained a vegan diet I had to make some "meaty" meals for my husband so the meat loaf and potatoes would make him happy from time to time. He didn't love a lot of the meat subs but he would eat a meatloaf or a soy hot dog with lots of suarekraut and onions. Vegetarian chili was good too.

I could eat a whole veggie meal, like spaghetti squash topped with vegan parm and other veggies but he wanted "GUY" food. Stuff he could eat while he scratched himself and hogged the remote !!:laughing:

sugarcatmom
January 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I like some of the fake meat products (Tofurkey sausages rule!) because they can be an easy way to extend a meal and add some extra protein.

NoahGrey
January 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM
K,I bought the Yves ground round and want to make a pasta dish. Have some seasoning, four cheese sauce and pasta. Anyone know how long the Yves ground round cooks for in a slow cooker? Does it take as long as regular meat? I can't find anywhere on the net, that it takes to cook coy meat in the slow cooker.

ACO22

sugarcatmom
January 16th, 2009, 11:36 AM
K,I bought the Yves ground round and want to make a pasta dish. Have some seasoning, four cheese sauce and pasta. Anyone know how long the Yves ground round cooks for in a slow cooker? Does it take as long as regular meat? I can't find anywhere on the net, that it takes to cook coy meat in the slow cooker.

ACO22

You just basically have to warm it up, it doesn't have to be "cooked" like meat does.

Khari
January 16th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I really enjoy the ground round because you do not have to cook it for long. It is great in spaghetti sauces. I usually will only put half of the package in when I am making the sauce because it has a different texture and the whole package over does it for me :o

joeysmama
January 16th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I mix the meat in a dish with minced garlic, breadcrumbs, parsley, parmesan and eggs. Then I roll it into meatballs or fry it loose for meat sauce. It's great in a meat sauce.

BenMax
January 16th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I am not a vegetarian however most of my family is. We had spagetti to my surprise and it indeed was made with veggie ground. I could not tell the difference.

So - now this is my new 'meat' product and I am completely satisfied with the 'no difference'. Veggie ground it now is.....I am getting there....

ancientgirl
January 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I don't get it.

If you don't want to eat meat why do you want to eat something that tastes like meat?

MMM, it's not that some of us don't want to eat meat. Believe me, I'd love to have a tasty steak or a good burger, but reasons for being a vegetarian vary. Some don't like the taste of meat, others do it because of ethical reasons.

I am a vegetarian for ethical reasons, so I do have days when I really miss it and having something that at least gives me the illusion or reminds me of that taste helps me to satisfy my craving and still hold to my beliefs.:D

ACO, Tofurkey makes some decent deli type "meats". There is also a brand called Light Life that is also pretty good. Yves is something I have found pretty good too. It's a matter of taste though, since some of course are better than others.

I've made lettuce wraps with the Yves ground "meat" and they were quite delicious.

This site has some info you might find useful:

http://www.vegcooking.com/guide-favs.asp

Khari
January 16th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Ground round is also great in chili's.....if you don't tell anybody it isn't meat then they most likely would never be able to tell the difference. One of my friends uses ground round in her chili and pasta sauces. And her husband (meat and potatoes type of guy) doesn't even know the difference...:laughing: So she doesn't even tell him....

BenMax
January 16th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Ground round is also great in chili's.....if you don't tell anybody it isn't meat then they most likely would never be able to tell the difference. One of my friends uses ground round in her chili and pasta sauces. And her husband (meat and potatoes type of guy) doesn't even know the difference...:laughing: So she doesn't even tell him....

I have to agree - I certainly could not tell.

NoahGrey
January 17th, 2009, 07:26 AM
You just basically have to warm it up, it doesn't have to be "cooked" like meat does.

I guess this is why I proabably didn't really like it. I cooked it for an hour in the slow cooker. Next time I will just boil my pasta, throw pasta in pan for a few mins, then throw in the ground round.

ACO22

ancientgirl
January 17th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I guess this is why I proabably didn't really like it. I cooked it for an hour in the slow cooker. Next time I will just boil my pasta, throw pasta in pan for a few mins, then throw in the ground round.

ACO22

I warm mine up in the frying pan with some coconut oil. Then I put it on some lettuce, chopped tomato and shredded cheese for yummy lettuce wraps. They are to die for. You really can't taste the difference that it's not real meat. I'll have some Italian dressing on the side to dip it in sometimes too.

here's what they look like.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Picture006.jpg

joeysmama
January 19th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Ancient Girl that looks YUMMY !!!!

I agree with Khari about the chili. I've fooled people with the chili more than once and also in tacos and nachos. Anything with stronger spices is great because it takes on the flavor of the spices really well.

I would imagine that after an hour in the slow cooker it got gummy? I think cooking it too long might change the texture especially if it was on a high heat. And grinding it in a food processor can help give it a little smoother texture too.

ancientgirl
January 20th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Ancient Girl that looks YUMMY !!!!

I agree with Khari about the chili. I've fooled people with the chili more than once and also in tacos and nachos. Anything with stronger spices is great because it takes on the flavor of the spices really well.

I would imagine that after an hour in the slow cooker it got gummy? I think cooking it too long might change the texture especially if it was on a high heat. And grinding it in a food processor can help give it a little smoother texture too.

It was delicious! I highly recommend it, and it was terribly easy to make and fast too.

I don't recommend putting that in a slow cooker. I have tried it, and gummy is the word. It's best if you just heat up what you want to add and then add it warm and mix it in.

joeysmama
January 20th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Ancient Girl I would love to have the recipe. (hint hint)

ancientgirl
January 21st, 2009, 08:46 AM
Joeysmama, it's so easy you won't believe it.

I used Yves ground round, which I heated up in my skillet using some 100% organic virgin coconut oil. I like using it because it gives a slight sweet taste, but you can use any kind.

I got some lettuce leaves and I've also used endive.

Some tomato, chopped or sliced, and then some shredded cheese. On the side as a dipping sauce, I had Italian dressing, but I've also used Greek dressing.

Assembly is easy. Just put some of the ground round on the lettuce, top with the cheese, so it can be a little melted, and then the tomato.

Easy peasy! And totally yummy and filling.

joeysmama
January 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Get out !! That really is easy. I've never used cocont oil before but I'd like to try it. I'll bet this would be great to bring to a Super Bowl party !

ancientgirl
January 21st, 2009, 08:09 PM
Yes, it's that easy. I'm always looking for easy and fast things to make for dinner, and this is about as easy and fast as you can get.

Make sure not to overcook the ground round, because if you do it does get a weird texture. Just make sure it's heated up well.

The coconut oil you use sparingly here though. It's sweet, so you don't want to make it overly sweet. I just use it to coat the skillet a bit and not have the ground stick.

Make sure to also put the cheese on as soon as you spoon the ground on the lettuce, so it can melt nicely.

Let me know how you like it when you get a chance to try it.:D

BMDLuver
January 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM
Another product that we like is Amy's. They're vegetarian and some of them are vegan. But if you want vegan be sure to read the package as some of the products do contain dairy. The Texas Burgers are very yummy and so are the vegetarian pot pies, and the frozen meatloaf dinner. Love love love this line of products !!!

I just bought Amy's vegan burgers tonight! I saw the meatloaf and hummed and hawed....... now I will have to try it. I don't like the taste of the Yves lunch meats very much...... the ground round is great in tacos though!

ancientgirl
January 21st, 2009, 08:35 PM
I just bought Amy's vegan burgers tonight! I saw the meatloaf and hummed and hawed....... now I will have to try it. I don't like the taste of the Yves lunch meats very much...... the ground round is great in tacos though!

I really like most of Amy's stuff. They have a vegetarian lasagna that's outstanding. But I didn't like the meatloaf very much. Maybe I got a bad one, but mine was really, well almost pate like.

Oh, morningstar also has some "chicken" burgers that are really good too.

Winston
January 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
When I was younger I was a vegetarian for about 3 years. I recall alot of the casseroles and dishes were made with things like special k cereal and lots of soy products. Have you checked out a helath food store for some ideas?

AG that food looked yummie! :thumbs up

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM
AG that food looked yummie! :thumbs up

Cindy

It waaaaaaaaas.:D

onster
January 21st, 2009, 09:09 PM
that does look yummy AG...not a vegetarian but id like to have alternatives :)

do u not put any spices at all? not even salt, pepper?

ancientgirl
January 21st, 2009, 09:32 PM
Onster, you can totally do the same with real ground beef.

I don't put any spices in this. I don't add a lot of salt to my food. I find the coconut oil gives a nice flavor, the cheese has a bit of salt and the tomatos also add to the flavor. Also, the side of salad dressing I use as a dip, and that alone gives even more flavor.

But, that's just me. If you like more spice, go for it.:D

onster
January 21st, 2009, 09:34 PM
oh ok, cool :thumbs up

I would probably be inclined to put lotsa spices for sure. I think ill try this one tho, ive wanted to pick up soy as a protein for a long time so this looks like a tasty way 2 start, thanks! :)

ancientgirl
January 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM
I think it's a very good start. This is actually the second thing I made for myself when I decided to go veg.