Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Signing up to foster....

Adriann27
January 10th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I have contacted a basset hound rescue to sign up for fostering. I feel such a void since Horton has passed. I still struggle with my decision, but only because I miss his little face so much.
I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing. I feel the need to help, maybe because I couldn't help Horton. What are you guys' opinion? Do you think it's too soon?

Lukka'sma
January 10th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I don't think anyone would tell you that it's too soon to open your heart and take care of another pup who needs help to find a forever home. It's a wonderful thing to do
Adriann.

Love4himies
January 10th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I think it is a wonderful idea, adriann. Fostering is such a rewarding experience and such a great deed to help out those poor souls who have found themselves in such unfortuate circumstances through no fault of their own.
It is not too soon to open your heart, never too soon for that.

Warning though: fostering can lead to failure of allowing the dog to be put up for adoption :laughing:. umm there are a few members here that have fallen under that umbrella :laughing:

chico2
January 10th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Adriann,it's a great idea,helping another needy pup,might heal some of the very sad loss of little Horton.
Just make sure he's ok with your beautiful kitties:cat:

diandpat
January 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Adriann27, you and Judd would be wonderful foster parents and any pooch lucky enough to end up in your care could only thrive. :cloud9:

It sounds like a great idea and I wish you luck :thumbs up

Frenchy
January 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM
That is wonderful news Adriann27 :highfive: you guys will make wonderful foster parents :angel:

There's no time limit , if you feel you're ready , then go for it ! :thumbs up

erykah1310
January 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM
thats great news, I think you would be the best possible foster family, but then there is the risk for the "foster failure" and yes many MANY of us are those people.
Sometimes for what ever reason, the connection is just too strong between foster family and foster dog. Bailey will live his entire life here for this exact reason!

Keep us posted on what happens with this.

hazelrunpack
January 10th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I can't imagine a better home for a foster home, Adriann. :grouphug: And if you 'fail' once or twice along the way and your family grows a bit by adoption, well...the more the merrier :D hazel's motto :laughing:

:goodvibes: and let us know how it goes!

clm
January 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I can't imagine a better foster home either. I can't wait to see pics of your first foster.

Cindy

t.pettet
January 10th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Kudos to you for helping another pet make the transition to finding a loving home. I think Horton helped put the foster idea in your head.

TacoGrl
January 11th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Adriann, as was said previously, only YOU know when the time is right...no such thing as too soon...it's when You feel right about it.

Have you had a chance to visit with some of the dogs? I know I thought I was ready a little while ago, but then I went to look at cats...could not look at a cat without bawling my eyes out=not ready :wall: Now, I can hug them and I have found one (through a rescue) I really find sweet...going back tomorrow to look for a second and then adopt both of them at the same time so they come home together...different than fostering I know, but same feelings...you sound like a very kind person...you will make the right choice when the time comes. :)

Shaykeija
January 11th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Warning though: fostering can lead to failure of allowing the dog to be put up for adoption :laughing:. umm there are a few members here that have fallen under that umbrella :laughing:

:whistle::D

You need to fill the hole in your soul right now. I can understand...

cell
January 11th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I tried fostering once and it lasted just over a month before I could not take it anymore. One thing I will reccomend for you if you foster is review all the dogs that are available, get their information, then think about what would best fit into your lifstyle. Don't just accept any dog because it might end up being a bad match that you can not deal with, which is not good for you or the dog. Think along the lines of what YOU would want to have as a dog assuming you would be keeping it (which may end up being the reality anyway) because you have to live with it once it is in your house. Obviously bassets are not always as high strung as some other dogs, and since it is a breed rescue there will be more consistency between size/temperments. That is my only reccomendation from my experience. I will deffinetly be more careful if I foster again.