Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

LOST - Lab/Shep X in N Brampton

chrism
January 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Gracie, one of our lab/shep X's, got loose from her 'vacation home' this week and is possibly somewhere in N Brampton now. She was seen at Main & Elgin on Weds morning and then later in the afternoon at Mill St N. We think she might be trying to make her way home to us in the Sandalwood / Conestoga area. She's black, about 55lbs, and just under 3 years old. Tagged and chipped, she might still be wearing her red bandana. We've searched the parks, asked at doors, we'll be leafleting and searching again this weekend.

If you see her please call me on 905 495 3992 or 647 505 1637, or animal services at 905 458 5800. Her brother is just devastated as they've never been separated before.

Chris

chrism
January 10th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Gracie is still out there but was seen twice yesterday near Etobicoke Creek and Brampton GO station. If you live in the area please check potential warm hiding places for her. She's very timid so probably won't approach people.

BusterBoo
January 10th, 2009, 05:11 PM
:pray: I pray that Gracie finds her way home to you....Please let us know when you have her back safely in your home... :fingerscr

chico2
January 10th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Me too,poor girl and poor you,it's so miserable outside.
Hope you find her very soon:pray:

chrism
February 9th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Just an update for you - Gracie is still missing, but she has been seen a number of times (not by us unfortunately) around Brampton GO station, and recently we think she was spotted in the forest area near Queen ST W and Creditview. That was 10 days ago, but thank heavens it does look like she might have survived the worst of the cold weather. Some people have even told us they fed her, but didn't try to pick her up! Can you believe it?

Here's another photo of her - a bit clearer.

chico2
February 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
chrism,she is just beautiful,I cannot imagine feeding a stray dog(although that's good)and not catch her:confused:
Hopefully someone will realize the urgency and get her:fingerscr:fingerscr

chrism
February 12th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Good news! She is definitely still alive! She was seen by Brampton Animal Services on Monday and Tuesday and positively identified. They got to within 20 yards of her but then she ran. She's in the same area and obviously has a den somewhere - now we just need to find it!

chico2
February 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Awww Chris,that would be great,I hope you catch her,of course find her first:pray::fingerscr:goodvibes::grouphug:

chrism
February 17th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Happy, happy ending! At 2am this morning Gracie turned up outside our dogwalker's house, barking to be let in. As simple as that. While we haven't seen her yet, she's in good health, thinner (not that she couldn't have done with dropping a few pounds), her coat's in good shape. This is just fantastic - after 42 days I was getting so frustrated with always being a day or two behind her.

So, if your dog is missing, don't lose hope. Gracie made it through one of the coldest Canadian winters in history, with wind-chill temperatures down to -30 at times. 6 weeks outdoors, and today (after a thorough check-out at the vet) she'll be back home. :D:D

chico2
February 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM
OMG,Chris that is the best news,made my day,thank you:thumbs up
I hope this is a trend and all the other missing pups will be found too:pray:
You must be overjoyed,,,as I am sure all of us here are:thumbs up

momsloopy
February 17th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Great News and Good Lesson Never lose Hope:highfive:

krdahmer
February 17th, 2009, 08:35 AM
:grouphug: Wow... that is incredible! Congratulations!! (are there going to be pictures of this reunion?? ;) she is one very pretty pup!) Hope all went well at the vet! :goodvibes:

shirley1011
February 17th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Wow! I am so excited for you....it gives all of us with missing dogs "HOPE".
So to everyone who feels helpless and not knowing what to do......just don't ever give up "Hope" Keep doing the things you have been doing...make people aware your pet is still out there....don't let anyone forget!
Again what great news!!! and yes we want pics!

goldengal
February 17th, 2009, 09:03 AM
What wonderful news ....... I am so happy for you. Take care.

Pat

diandpat
February 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM
WOW :highfive: I am so happy for you and your family and of course Lucky Gracie...I wish she could tell us where she has been for 42 days!!!!!! OMG

This news will give others with missing furbabies hope that theirs too could still be out on an adventures and hopefully coming home soon.

How far does your dogwalker live from you...isn't it interesting that she found that home and barked to get in....what a good girl :lovestruck:

:fingerscr for a good vet visit and pictures too asap!!!!

cpietra16
February 17th, 2009, 10:30 AM
wow...thats great news...fantastic....if only dogs could talk...what an adventure she must have had....welcome home Gracie

BenMax
February 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Fantastic news! I am so happy for everyone concerned.

Chris21711
February 17th, 2009, 11:50 AM
WOOHOOOOO :thumbs up That is such great news. Hope you come back with an update on Gracie.

chrism
February 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks everyone - the fellow-feeling here is terrific. I haven't seen the girl herself yet, I had to come into work today :frustrated: . Once I've seen her this evening I'll post some details.

Melanie1010
February 17th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Talk about an amazing story and it gives much hope for those still searching for their loved ones - Dont Give Up Hope!!!

Chrism- Hope the vet visit goes well and Gracie I am sure will be thrilled to be home!

hezbglad
February 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM
YAAAAAAAAY! Such good news!!:clap:

the gang
February 17th, 2009, 09:56 PM
ya hooo there is a god!!!:grouphug: hugs to every one!! brenda and the pins.

chrism
February 18th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I was asked by one of the members here to share the Gracie story with this forum to let people know what we went through and to show those who are still missing their companions that there is always, always hope that they'll come back sometime.

Gracie's saga began on Jan 6 this year; she and her brother, Jack, were lodging with our dog walker while we were on vacation in England over Christmas. On the 6th they both, together with another dog, got out of the back yard and ran. The local Animal Services caught the other dog and Jack after a hours-long chase, but Gracie escaped and ran off into some local woods where they lost her trail. So began 6 weeks of searching, leafletting, telephone calls, late night stake-outs, false alarms, frustrations and, yes, fear. To begin with we felt it was a race against time; a week after she disappeared the Canadian winter was due to hit in full force. The snow was already two feet deep in places, and then the temperature dropped to almost -30 C with the windchill. At that time we felt sure we'd lost her and that she couldn't have survived nearly 2 weeks of that weather. We always, always hoped, but our expectations of a good outcome fell with the temperature. We heard nothing for almost 2 weeks.

Then we started to get some sightings; some were obviously false alarms but some were enough to make us think she might still be alive. Every time we got a call we leafletted that area, talked to people, rang the local vets etc. Even when the area was so far away from the original search localities we still got positive results from people who lived out there but worked nearer to us and were able to keep their eyes open for her. If nothing else, the calls kept our hopes up and made us get out there and search. Just over a week ago we got another call which resulted in a positive identification by Animal Services, so at last we knew she was definitely still alive and still in the local area. One of our frustrations was that Gracie had been lost from our dog walker's house, not ours, so she was in an area she didn't know well. The two houses are about 5 miles apart. She'd never stayed there before, and had been in the house for less than 2 weeks before escaping. We always seemed to be one or two days behind her, and it seemed everyone was seeing her except us! That made it twice as difficult for us.

What meant so much to us was the way in which friends and strangers all rallied round to help, either physically by leafletting or searching, or just through offering support . I dropped off a leaflet at a local pet store on the first weekend after Gracie went missing, and the next thing I knew was that the lady I spoke to was out searching for Gracie at 1 in the morning, she gave up her days off to look for her, she copied & distributed more leaflets for us - she was just awesome. So, Leah Yusuf of Global Pet Foods and the German Shepherd Rescue of Toronto, take a very well-deserved bow! Friends from work came out to search with us on several occasions; friends of friends came out to search; one local policeman rang to offer to put flyers in all the schools in his division, and Brampton Animal Services, and I have to give a special mention here to A.J., were committed to finding Gracie. Of course, there were the people who rang to say 'I was feeding / petting a dog like yours just the other day' several days after the event, which was just incredibly frustrating at the time, but that's in the past now.

So, to everyone who is still waiting for their friend to come home, our message has to be "don't give up hope, make your expectations realistic but don't stop hoping". Some people told me they'd prayed to St Francis, the patron saint of animals. That's not something I especially believe in, but hey, Gracie's home, so you just never know... Her 'adventure' was 6 weeks of worry, highs and lows, in the midst of one of the worst winters in recent times. Gracie survived that, whether through divine intervention or more prosaic means I'm not sure, but survive she did. I wish she could tell us where she'd been and how she'd sheltered and fed, but she's home now. The vet checked her out and said he was amazed at her condition. Thin, yes, but no broken bones, no ticks etc (too cold for them) and not malnourished, although who knows what she's been eating! My thoughts (and perhaps a quick word to St Francis) are still with those of you whose pets haven't yet returned.

Thanks for your encouragement too at a tough time.

chico2
February 18th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Chris,thank you,Gracies story is sure to give others hope,looking at her home and safe just warms your heart:grouphug:and no more worrying and heartache for you:thumbs up

shirley1011
February 18th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks Chris for sharing Gracie's story although it sounds all too familiar the ups and downs...but it does give those of us with missing pets hope.
:thumbs up Way to go Gracie!!!! What an amazing outcome....so happy for you and your family

BenMax
February 18th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Chrism - so well told. Thank you for the pawsitive message you are relaying.