Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I question for you experts about spaying

Corrie
January 9th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I am picking up 2 little female Westies from a terrible BYB on Wednesday that both need to be spayed. I am with Westie Rescue of Canada and they will be fostered by me and then adopted out to our wonderful folks in Ontario.

One Westie is 2 years old (she had pups many, many months ago) and a little one year old who had 8 puppies 6 weeks ago! Don’t even get me started…a little one year old that she bred with a Yorkshire Terrier!!!! I think 6 weeks is WAY too young for these pups to be separated from their Mom, but she has agreed to surrender the 2 adult Westies to me this weekend, so I am going jump at the chance of getting these 2 out of there, before she decides to breed them again!
She has refused to give me the puppies…..wants to make money on them, but is then thankfully, getting out of the “breeding business” :shrug:

My question to you is…if this little one year old just had pups 6 weeks ago how long should we wait till we get them fixed. I have a call into my Vet as we speak but just wanted other opinions as well.

Rottielover
January 9th, 2009, 10:46 AM
She is dried up by now, meaning no more milk producing, if so, she can be spayed now :)

fosterpat
January 9th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Our vets usually tell us about a month after the pups have stopped nursning. They will for sure give her a physical first to see that she is healthy.
I'm sure she'll be happy to have a loving family of her own!