Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rant - Why can't I get things together!

TeriM
January 8th, 2009, 08:25 PM
So the new year is always a time of relection for me and as well my dad died on Jan 12th and this is the fifth anniversary. All this is causing me to evaluate my life and to hopefully kick my butt a bit :o.

I am lazy :o. I tend to procrastinate as long as possible with just about everything both work and personal.

Examples: I have work on my desk that has been there for months. I pay my mother to do my data entry for my own business because otherwise it would never get done. I am good at my job but would be soooooo much better if I didn't wait until the last minute. I think part of that is I don't particularly like my job (accounting=boring) but I do like my clients and I love the flexibility of self employment so I am not willing to change to go to work for something else. I tend to pay my own bills late so pay late charges and not because I can't pay them it is just that I forget :shrug:. I would actually hate to add the money I waste in a year with late fees, returned items that I never return or lose the receipt, or things like forgetting to submit medical expenses before the deadlines. That money would be much more useful paying down my line of credit instead :frustrated:. I hate housework. Clean laundry seems to live in the laundry basket until I finally need the baskets to do the next loads.

I am not a morning person and never have been. I have learned to not fight my natural bio-rythmns but I think I have gotten a little over self indulgent. If I could get going a bit earlier each day I would probably make my hubby much happier as I would be home for dinner most nights instead of getting home at 7. He doesn't complain but I think it probably bothers him :o.

I do say that I rarely miss anything like this with my business and when or if I do then I always pay any late fees personally. I find in the last few years that I forget more stuff then I used to as well. Friends tell me that is a natural occurence as we age (now 41 years old) and to just expect it to get worse :D.

Anyway, I am posting this as sort of a self-confession. I have taken a few baby steps like swamping out my office and tackling some of the work that I have been putting off. I am dedicating a few hours each evening to get all that work done and gone!

Are there others like me or am I just a lazy brat :o.

Any hints for better organization or even better living?

Frenchy
January 8th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I do get up late on week ends and stay in my pj's for too long :p

I make lists , and I don't sit down until everything is done. Or else I don't feel "comfy" :o

luckypenny
January 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM

We must have been separated at birth :D.

I hope members can come up with good advice, I sure can use it too, lol.

dustybird
January 8th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I don't have to much advice as I procratinate quite a bit from November till the middle of April. I have a seasonal job May to the end of October and while I am there I tend to be a work aholic.

My non work life I tend to be what I feel is lazy and full of procrastination.

As for paying bills they would be late but I have set everything except cell phone and rent to come out automatically through the bank. If bills such as credit card, car payment and car insurance etc... are the same amount every month automatic payments work great....I never ever have to think about when they are due, just that the money is there. So every month I make sure all money needed for bills is in that account and add extra then transfer money for say groceries or general spending into a separate account and only use that account for non bill related things. The bill account then is also used as a savings account as I don't touch it. Once a month I check how much is in each account so I know what I have, incase I have to move things around and then at the end of the year which for me is May 1st I take whatever is considered extra and put a lump some on my visa. It's easy for me to do with a seasonal job as I don't really have any expenses while I am at work except regular bills. May is when the money starts comming in again. If that all makes sense. Bills that are different amounts each month can be set up through the bank so you can pay them over the phone. This way you don't have to physically go down to the bank or run to the mail box. Some people do their banking on the internet but that makes me nervous.

Ok so that's all I have to offer.

My non work life is spent wasting too much time on the puter. I sit here and think of all the things I'd like to do such as working out, getting rid of things I no longer need, some sort of hobby and going to bed at a decent hour and getting up before 3pm. As I hav a habbit of staying up till oh say 3,4 5 6 in the morning....why...I guess becasue I don't have anywhere to be. I am the type of person that needs a reason to get up in the morning, and who needs to find something to look forward to on a regular bassis.

I have sooo much freakin time on my hands during the winter and yet can't mange to get anything done because well there's always tomorrow or next week. I like to think that when I finaly have my own home and not a renter things will be different and I will be more motivated......I can only hope that will be the case. Every day I stare at my home gym and think ya I should really get on that.....and proceed to plop my butt down infront of the computer.

Anyhoo I totally understand the procrastination problem and feeling lazy.

On a side note I to do the gather the laundry wash it and fold it and then let it sit in the basket until I need it.....I just figure I do all the work involved so hubby can put it away....my reasoning anyway...never happens though.

Well I guess I should get off my butt and do the dishes that have now been soaking in the sink for a half hour.

rainbow
January 8th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM
Are there others like me or am I just a lazy brat .

:laughing: I think you both must be my two illegitimate daughters that I've never told anyone about. :laughing:

rainbow
January 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Friends tell me that is a natural occurence as we age (now 41 years old) and to just expect it to get worse .

You have very wise friends, Teri, cuz YES, IT DOES. :frustrated:

TeriM
January 8th, 2009, 10:13 PM
As for paying bills they would be late but I have set everything except cell phone and rent to come out automatically through the bank.

That's a good reminder :thumbs up. I meant to do that a while ago and then they I was due for a new credit card so I put it off :rolleyes:. I have a lot of stuff already like that (RRSP etc) and will get the phone, cell and a few others to do that. I think I can actually have the phone and cell go to my cc which would be good for airmiles and the cc is usually the one bill I mostly pay on time.

Some people do their banking on the internet but that makes me nervous.

I use the internet for my banking. One of the problems I have is that I have to bill clients for my services and unless they are my super regular weekly clients where I prepare the cheques anyway, I usually remember to do it when the cash is getting low.

My non work life is spent wasting too much time on the puter. I sit here and think of all the things I'd like to do such as working out, getting rid of things I no longer need, some sort of hobby and going to bed at a decent hour

Phew, then it is definately not just me :D.

I like to think that when I finaly have my own home and not a renter things will be different and I will be more motivated......I can only hope that will be the case.

Don't count on it :laughing:, we own our home and it has not been the magic bean. We had some leaks repaired over a year ago and I keep forgetting to try to book the drywall repair guy :o

TeriM
January 8th, 2009, 10:14 PM

:laughing: I think you both must be my two illegitimate daughters that I've never told anyone about. :laughing:

I knew there was a reason I liked you guys :D.

TeriM
January 8th, 2009, 10:16 PM
You have very wise friends, Teri, cuz YES, IT DOES. :frustrated:

:eek::eek::eek:

I really gotta start to develop the writing stuff down habit :rolleyes:.

rainbow
January 8th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I knew there was a reason I liked you guys :D.

We could start a Pets.ca Procrastinator Club. :D

rainbow
January 8th, 2009, 10:20 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

I really gotta start to develop the writing stuff down habit :rolleyes:.

Doesn't work for me. :o

What I need to start doing is just stay away from here until I get at least one pile dealt with. :o

TeriM
January 8th, 2009, 10:22 PM

Isn't that what we call the TJT :D.

otter
January 8th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Maybe there were triplets.. I definitely came from the same family as you TeriM :D LP would be the good twin, TeriM the middle child and I the evil one :evil:

Sure it wasn't three??

Oh I'm HORRIBLE and the laziest one I know.. I get nothing done during the week when i'm working and even less done on the weekends. I can't even being to tell my tales of procrastination.
Funny thing about accounting... cause that's basically what I do too (accounts payable) I'm not a fan of it at all :yuck: yet that's how I make a living as well. I NEVER pay my bills at home on time, I usually catch on when I get the nasty letter saying if I don't pay up they will cut off my service :o

I don't even know why I bother with a dresser or closet... generally my clothes live in a constant cycle between the clean clothes basket and the dirty, i'm sure I have some clothes that have never been hung up or put away :laughing:

The biggest thing holding me back from getting stuff done is that I have so much to do I get totally overwhelmed, feel horrible and then want to do nothing (I'm told this is a common problem). I'm trying to learn to just take on very little manageable tasks... not try and make the whole world a better place in one step.

rainbow
January 8th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Isn't that what we call the TJT :D.

:laughing: :laughing: I think you're right. :D

Maybe there were triplets.. I definitely came from the same family as you TeriM :D LP would be the good twin, TeriM the middle child and I the evil one :evil:

Sure it wasn't three??

:eek: You found out the truth.....you were so bad that I put you up for adoption. :laughing:

The biggest thing holding me back from getting stuff done is that I have so much to do I get totally overwhelmed, feel horrible and then want to do nothing (I'm told this is a common problem). I'm trying to learn to just take on very little manageable tasks... not try and make the whole world a better place in one step.

That's me too.....everything gets piled up and I don't know where to start. :frustrated: The only time I get my butt in gear is IF I know someone is coming to stay and then I clean up the spare room that I dump all my piles of "stuff to do" in. :rolleyes:

TeriM
January 8th, 2009, 11:00 PM
That's me too.....everything gets piled up and I don't know where to start. :frustrated: The only time I get my butt in gear is IF I know someone is coming to stay and then I clean up the spare room that I dump all my piles of "stuff to do" in. :rolleyes:

Hehe :laughing:, that is one of the things that started this for me. I had extra company over the holidays and had to swamp out the hide-a-bed in my office for them to sleep :o. When I got started I finally realized how bad I had let it get. I hired a cleaning lady last year and my office is the only place she doesn't do anything so consequently that is where I dump all the to-do stuff.

rainbow
January 8th, 2009, 11:12 PM
You only have an office to worry about. :rolleyes: I have the spare bedroom that I'm in now with the computer that gets piles of stuff dumped in that I can't fit in the dinky pantry that needs to be cleaned out. :o

And then the bedroom in the basement that has hubby's workclothes piled up on the bed in case he ever leaves town again, xmas decorations, the bamboo blinds that go on the windows in the summer, old electronic stuff that doesn't work anymore and boxes of stuff that I haven't unpacked since we moved here 10 years ago cuz there's nowhere to put it. :yell:

TeriM
January 8th, 2009, 11:39 PM
We have a 4 foot high crawl space and it is great for that stuff :laughing:. It's a pain in the butt to get to but hubby is usually the one tasked with that :D.

at least once I organize it enough to put it there :o.

rainbow
January 8th, 2009, 11:46 PM
So what are we going to do with ourselves? :o :frustrated:

TeriM
January 8th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Well I'm gonna start by getting some more bills set up as automatic payments. I am working on organizing my office in between posts here and I am gonna try really hard to get to bed before midnight now so I can get up at a decent hour. That is my start and I guess I'll work on things from there :goodvibes:.

TeriM
January 9th, 2009, 12:00 AM

I totally hear you on this Otter. That is why I am going to try starting with a semi-organized space. Interestingly enough I hate clutter and don't function very well in it which I find somewhat ironic for someone like me :o.

Chris21711
January 9th, 2009, 08:56 AM

I wanna be Chairperson - I have all kinds of Procrastination confessions, but I am going out today yes, they do let me out sometimes so don't have time to confess but I will. Please Please let me be the Chair :D

momsloopy
January 9th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I too must confess that I could be on the board of the Procrasitantors Club:o

I can't wait untill we are having people over because it causes me to do the mad dash clean up and usually it all ends up in my bedroom waiting for the day that it all can be put away. My children think they keep gettin new clothes becasue they have been MIA so long:laughing:

I am in constant fear that someone will stop by unannounced, usually they are very polite and tell me that no one notices the pile high of clean landry dumped on the couch and that my are children running around saying they can't find any socks.(my kids are the ones running around with unmatched sock's:o) When really I know they are thinking what a mess and how do they live in this pigsty!

My New Years resolution is to get better organized! I plann on taking one step at a time. So as you can see you are not alone.

Rick C
January 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM
So the new year is always a time of relection for me and as well my dad died on Jan 12th and this is the fifth anniversary. All this is causing me to evaluate my life and to hopefully kick my butt a bit :o.

I am lazy :o. I tend to procrastinate as long as possible with just about everything both work and personal.

Examples: I have work on my desk that has been there for months. I pay my mother to do my data entry for my own business because otherwise it would never get done. I am good at my job but would be soooooo much better if I didn't wait until the last minute. I think part of that is I don't particularly like my job (accounting=boring) but I do like my clients and I love the flexibility of self employment so I am not willing to change to go to work for something else. I tend to pay my own bills late so pay late charges and not because I can't pay them it is just that I forget :shrug:. I would actually hate to add the money I waste in a year with late fees, returned items that I never return or lose the receipt, or things like forgetting to submit medical expenses before the deadlines. That money would be much more useful paying down my line of credit instead :frustrated:. I hate housework. Clean laundry seems to live in the laundry basket until I finally need the baskets to do the next loads.

I am not a morning person and never have been. I have learned to not fight my natural bio-rythmns but I think I have gotten a little over self indulgent. If I could get going a bit earlier each day I would probably make my hubby much happier as I would be home for dinner most nights instead of getting home at 7. He doesn't complain but I think it probably bothers him :o.

I do say that I rarely miss anything like this with my business and when or if I do then I always pay any late fees personally. I find in the last few years that I forget more stuff then I used to as well. Friends tell me that is a natural occurence as we age (now 41 years old) and to just expect it to get worse :D.

Anyway, I am posting this as sort of a self-confession. I have taken a few baby steps like swamping out my office and tackling some of the work that I have been putting off. I am dedicating a few hours each evening to get all that work done and gone!

None of my business, but since you asked and in all seriousness, that description sounds less humourous and more like you are depressed.

The tasks, taken together, seem overwhelming so nothing gets done. And you think less of yourself as a result. Which makes it more likely nothing gets done.

The key to coming up out of the abyss is to look at the pile and pick up at least one thing and move it to the place it should be. If that's the only thing you do that day, then fine. But at least one thing was done and because one thing was done it makes it easier to do the next thing. And the next after that.

Organization and automation certainly helps as well.

Do one thing today. :thumbs up

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

BusterBoo
January 9th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I was never a procrastinator until I bought this house on my own last August! Now.....well......kitchen is always clean....laundry is always done (because I need to have clean clothes for work) but I do spend toooooo much time on the computer.

As for bills....most of mine are automatically taken out of my account and those that I need to pay are on a cork board in my office, so I can't forget them. I see them everytime I go on the computer! That's where I also put my medical receipts, T4s etc when they come in. As long as it is within my sight, I will remember.

As for the age thing.....well, I am going to be 56 (OMG...:cry: ) I figure if I forget something, it wasn't TOO important! I write everything down...I have a whiteboard calendar on my fridge so I know appointments, special events etc.

My plan is to paint the house this spring and finally work on the basement. I have been here for 5 months and there are still boxes in the basement that need to be sorted through. Hopefully a very big garage sale in May!!!

As Rick said, do ONE thing today.....even if it seems very insignificant, then tomorrow do something else. You will feel like you are accomplishing something and might be encouraged to keep going.

Good luck and don't worry.....YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I really gotta start to develop the writing stuff down habit

Don't bother unless you can keep track of where you put the note. :frustrated: I finally wrote my list backwards on a post-it and put it on madame hazel's forehead as a reminder when I pass a mirror. :o

Isn't that what we call the TJT .

:laughing: I was gonna ask if I could crash the Club but it seems I'm already a member! :p

Hehe that is one of the things that started this for me. I had extra company over the holidays and had to swamp out the hide-a-bed in my office for them to sleep .

Our spare bedroom still has unpacked boxes from our move 4 years ago. We've had one sleep-over guest since we moved here...I moved some boxes, got an air mattress and she bunked down in there...:o She was an awfully good sport about it! :laughing:

Seriously, though...Rick C has some valid points. SAD comes to mind, too. I have a lot of seasonally related symptoms...this time of year, it gets really bad... So what I did is promise myself I'd spend just 1 hour working on one particular "to do" a day...then I can 'play'. :shrug: It's not a perfect solution, but if I know I only have to spend an hour doing something I'd rather not, it isn't as hard to get started. :o And sometimes I surprise myself and finally finish something. :eek: :laughing:

But I'm still a month late with the newsletter. :o

rainbow
January 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Please Please let me be the Chair :D[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Alright already.....YOU can be the Chairperson AFTER you post all the requested pics of ALL your furry and feathery menagerie. :p

Ford Girl
January 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM
My name is Teri, and I am a procrastinor. There, I said it. :) I hate to clean, I hate to orgainize, Im lazy when it comes to these things. I need deadlines and constant pushing from my DH to get things done. Ive created anxiety in my life because of this.

The only thing in my life that has kicked my butt and made me action the giant "to do" list was get preggers, and at first it made me lay back a bit, but once I starting count down the weeks instead of counting up i started to panic. Now I have no choice but to get things done. Its a real eye opener as to just how many things Ive left undone.

Diamondsmum
January 9th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Teri & all I feel your pain I too am a member of the club LOL.

What I do or try to do is..

I have bills set as reminders on Outlook calender (work calender)

We have a "family" calender google which is different from my bill (work)calender. (never wrote stuff on wall calender)

Which helps me & kids & Hubby keep track of the goings on in the family. dr. appoints, sports stuff, projects DUE etc. I have it set as each of the PC's home page. So kids & hubby can see & also add stuff. (I also sync it with my blackberry)

I also work from home as a (VA) Virtual Assistant so I know the motivation of doing the work on desk. YUCK! but I also have set tasks before I allow myself to "play" on PC also it Outlook. or have work ongoing and on here.

I think motivation is definately key.

TacoGrl
January 9th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I am a "reformed" procrastinator :whistle:

I like things clean and tidy...organized and perfect. Unfortunately, I too am lazy.

I find, I MAKE myself do things BEFORE I sit down...ie. when I come home from work, I lock the door, put on "house clothes" and head straight ot the kitchen to start supper and while that is cooking, I feed the fish, look for one room to dust/clean whatever (15-20 mins)...when supper is cooked, I deal with the dishes and wipe the kitchen right away (or it will sit for days) and then I sit down with supper. The rest of the night is mine to slack off. :D

On weekends, I MAKE myself get up and vacuum floors/water plants before heading out of the house or curling up on the sofa to watch TV...I MAKE myself clean throughout the week, so not much cleaning on the wekeend, so slacking is ok...I get to be my lazy self for most of the weekend.

All of this is of course what I tell people...in reality, I come home, put the tee and shorts on, make a sandwich and go to bed. :rolleyes:

BusterBoo
January 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I am a "reformed" procrastinator :whistle:

On weekends, I MAKE myself get up and vacuum floors/water plants before heading out of the house or curling up on the sofa to watch TV...I MAKE myself clean throughout the week, so not much cleaning on the wekeend, so slacking is ok...I get to be my lazy self for most of the weekend.

All of this is of course what I tell people...in reality, I come home, put the tee and shorts on, make a sandwich and go to bed. :rolleyes:

Water plants???? :wall: I knew I forgot to do something....is that why I have all these little brown leaves all over the house??????

:rolleyes:

TeriM
January 9th, 2009, 10:04 PM
None of my business, but since you asked and in all seriousness, that description sounds less humourous and more like you are depressed.

The tasks, taken together, seem overwhelming so nothing gets done. And you think less of yourself as a result. Which makes it more likely nothing gets done.

The key to coming up out of the abyss is to look at the pile and pick up at least one thing and move it to the place it should be. If that's the only thing you do that day, then fine. But at least one thing was done and because one thing was done it makes it easier to do the next thing. And the next after that.

Organization and automation certainly helps as well.

Do one thing today. :thumbs up

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Rick, I wondered when I posted this thread if someone would think that. It is likely a conclusion I might have drawn myself with someone else. However, I have had a few minor episodes with depression over the years and don't feel that it applies in this instance. Overall I am very content with my life, I have a great home, hubby, family and pets. I don't entirely love my job and if fact find it boring a fair bit but I don't hate it and I love my flexibilty which offsets that. I can't really think of anything else I would love to do except perhaps run a B&B or get into dog training professionally.

I have been a procrastinator basically all my life :o. I think that maybe as I mature it is just bothering me a bit more then it used to :D.

luckypenny
January 9th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I make lists

I write everything down...

Don't bother unless you can keep track of where you put the note.

Yeah, that's my problem :D :o.

I'm a control clean freak too...when I get started I can't stop :o. I think maybe that's why I look for things to distract myself with :shrug:. Then I get too far behind :rolleyes:.

I usually console myself knowing that I get my best work done when I'm down to crunch time...whether it be at work or at home. I used to be like that when I was studying as well...I'd wait til the last minute but I handed in A+ papers all the time :shrug:.

TeriM
January 9th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Don't bother unless you can keep track of where you put the note. :frustrated: I finally wrote my list backwards on a post-it and put it on madame hazel's forehead as a reminder when I pass a mirror. :o

:laughing: You crack me up Hazel :D.

So what I did is promise myself I'd spend just 1 hour working on one particular "to do" a day...then I can 'play'. :shrug: It's not a perfect solution, but if I know I only have to spend an hour doing something I'd rather not, it isn't as hard to get started. :o And sometimes I surprise myself and finally finish something.

That's a good plan and something I have basically been doing this week. I have actually accomplished more this week in getting through my stacked up stuff then I have in a long time :thumbs up.

My name is Teri, and I am a procrastinor. There, I said it. :) I hate to clean, I hate to orgainize, Im lazy when it comes to these things. I need deadlines and constant pushing from my DH to get things done.

I do much better with deadlines then without :). I actually transfered this theory to the house work and hired a cleaning lady that comes every two weeks. This of course means that I run around one room ahead of her putting stuff away but at least it gets done regularly now :D.

Teri & all I feel your pain I too am a member of the club LOL.

What I do or try to do is..

I have bills set as reminders on Outlook calender (work calender)

I have it set as each of the PC's home page. So kids & hubby can see & also add stuff. (I also sync it with my blackberry)

I really do need to reintroduce the outlook calendar to my life. The idea of setting it as a home page is a great idea :thumbs up. I love my blackberry but probably under-utilize it.

TeriM
January 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM
My plan is to paint the house this spring and finally work on the basement. I have been here for 5 months and there are still boxes in the basement that need to be sorted through. Hopefully a very big garage sale in May!!!

As Rick said, do ONE thing today.....even if it seems very insignificant, then tomorrow do something else. You will feel like you are accomplishing something and might be encouraged to keep going.

Good luck and don't worry.....YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! :laughing:

I think that was actually part of my problem (looking for excuses :rolleyes:). When we moved into this house a few years ago it was a really tough year. My father-in-law went into hospital for fairly minor stuff, complications arose and he eventually passed almost four months later. That year we cleaned out and sold his house, settled the estate, bought and did some renos in this house, fixed up and sold our old house and moved :eek:. We were so freakin tired after that we basically didn't want to do anything home related. We got it together again and did a bunch of work in the yard last summer and then same thing we got tired of working and wanted fun relaxed time. I think we need to develop more of a little bit at a time plan instead of an all or nothing.

TeriM
January 9th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I usually console myself knowing that I get my best work done when I'm down to crunch time...whether it be at work or at home. I used to be like that when I was studying as well...I'd wait til the last minute but I handed in A+ papers all the time :shrug:.

We really are the same :D.

otter
January 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by luckypenny
I usually console myself knowing that I get my best work done when I'm down to crunch time...whether it be at work or at home. I used to be like that when I was studying as well...I'd wait til the last minute but I handed in A+ papers all the time .

We really are the same :D.

I just knew it.... separated at birth we were :thumbs up I'm sooo the same way. Drives me crazy.

It's the one good thing about the job I do, I have a VERY firm deadline every week (Fridays I have to pay people :D) so I have to get my but in gear every week. Home... that's another story.

Tis also the sign of a true procrastinator :D Actually, i've learned it is also the sign of a perfectionist... many perfectionists are procrastinators, and you don't have to be "perfect" to be a perfectionist either, it's just about what's going on in the brain.

Teri, I don't know if it applies to you but you might want to do a bit of reading on perfectionism, to help understand :shrug:

rainbow
January 10th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I wonder if there is a connection between perfectionism and depression because I seem to have both. :shrug:

TeriM
January 11th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Tis also the sign of a true procrastinator :D Actually, i've learned it is also the sign of a perfectionist... many perfectionists are procrastinators, and you don't have to be "perfect" to be a perfectionist either, it's just about what's going on in the brain.

Teri, I don't know if it applies to you but you might want to do a bit of reading on perfectionism, to help understand :shrug:

I will do that :thumbs up.

I wonder if there is a connection between perfectionism and depression because I seem to have both. :shrug:

I think that is very possible.

Rainbow :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:. Is this a new thing or an ongoing life thing? You and your family have had a really tough year (or more) so I think it would be normal to be down. If you really think it is an issue for you then I am one who is fully in favour of meds and other treatments. I have had two friends with tremendous pressure the past year who both ended up on meds and it has enabled them to get through some really tough patches. They are both now weaning off the meds and life is mostly back together :thumbs up.

rainbow
January 11th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Supposedly I can't take anything because of the HBP meds I'm on. :o

TeriM
January 11th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Well that sucks :frustrated:. You'll just have to come here for lots of hugs instead :).

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I also agree with maybe just setting one small task for each day :thumbs up.

I know the weather is also sucking but I find that a good walk each day also really helps to clear my head and focus me. Days that I don't get some form of exercise I am much less motivated :shrug:.

Chris21711
January 11th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Since I'm the Chairperson, I have to fess up :D

I'm like Teri, I hate clutter, like everything tidy, at the same time I am a pack rat, save everything....never know when you might need it :rolleyes: Consequently my cupboards are FUUUUUUUUUULL, neatly full but nevertheless I can't place one more item inside, therefore I start piling things on top....Always with the good intention of clearing them out so I can start all over again. Needless to say it hasn't happened to date.

I hate officialdom - hate having to call somewhere and listen to endless message after message only to have to leave a message :yell: This pet peeve has recently made $1000 disappear from my account. Let me explain...In November a GIC matured and instead of the bank calling me and asking what I wish to do, they credited our account and I let it sit there, it is still sitting there less $1000, which I spent, on lord knows what :shrug: If I had have acted the way that I should, I would have called the bank and given them instructions and still have that extra money.

I don't work, am home most of the time and my garden (which I love) was a bloody mess last year - main reason being the computer, I spent way too long during the day last summer and I know it, but still did nothing to fix it :clown:

A few years back, I broke my hip, the following year a hip replacement, I know I should spend around 15mins a day excercising my legs, I don't, I find it boring, it's for my own good and all I can do is gain from it.............So the list goes on.

Making a point to do one thing a day is certainly a way to go, some things obviously need more effort.

I think Teri by opening this thread you have opened a whole can of worms :D It's been a bit cathartic for me to put this on paper, I am going to try to prioritize my life a bit better............Thankyou

rainbow
January 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Since I'm the Chairperson, I have to fess up

:eek: :eek: NOOOOOOooooooooo.......you are not the Chairperson until we see pics of ALL your furred and feathered menagerie. :p

Chris21711
January 11th, 2009, 05:55 PM
:eek: :eek: NOOOOOOooooooooo.......you are not the Chairperson until we see pics of ALL your furred and feathered menagerie. :p

I am so :frustrated:

rainbow
January 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I am so :frustrated:

Absolutely not :p .....you've already been told twice now, remember :rolleyes: .......

I wanna be Chairperson - I have all kinds of Procrastination confessions, but I am going out today yes, they do let me out sometimes so don't have time to confess but I will. Please Please let me be the Chair :D

Alright already.....YOU can be the Chairperson AFTER you post all the requested pics of ALL your furry and feathery menagerie. :p

Tomorrow is Monday so try posting or emailing you pics again :goodvibes: and then we'll let you be the Chair. :D

TeriM
January 12th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I hate officialdom - hate having to call somewhere and listen to endless message after message only to have to leave a message :yell:

I think Teri by opening this thread you have opened a whole can of worms :D It's been a bit cathartic for me to put this on paper, I am going to try to prioritize my life a bit better............Thankyou

I'm with you on that whole voice mail crap :yell:.

You are very welcome :D.

Chris21711
January 13th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Soooo I cleaned out one of my neatly cluttered cupboards into two boxes. 1 marked for the dump and #2 marked "too good to throw away".

Now I can re-procrastinate when to dispose of said boxes :wall: :laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 13th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Soooo I cleaned out one of my neatly cluttered cupboards into two boxes. 1 marked for the dump and #2 marked "too good to throw away".

You can throw them in hazel's spare bedro....uh....boxroom! :laughing:

luckypenny
January 17th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Alright, my first procratination-free Saturday since...ummm since....I can't remember :D and, other than a sore back and two ugly blisters on my thumb, I survived :thumbs up. House is spotless and smells sooo fresh :cloud9:. Too bad I won't be able to enjoy it tomorrow while I'm at work :frustrated:.

Teri, seriously, this thread has got me thinking a lot lately. It's too easy to get priorities mixed up and let things slide :o.

Oh, and dh wants me to thank you for getting all the dog hair and dust out of our room :D.

rainbow
January 17th, 2009, 09:48 PM

Hmmmm..... don't ask Stubborn Sally for any help. :rolleyes:

:laughing:

Alright, my first procratination-free Saturday since...ummm since....I can't remember :D and, other than a sore back and two ugly blisters on my thumb, I survived :thumbs up. House is spotless and smells sooo fresh :cloud9:. Too bad I won't be able to enjoy it tomorrow while I'm at work :frustrated:.

Teri, seriously, this thread has got me thinking a lot lately. It's too easy to get priorities mixed up and let things slide :o.

Oh, and dh wants me to thank you for getting all the dog hair and dust out of our room :D.

WOO HOO LP :highfive: ......even though you won't get to enjoy it as much as you should, I bet it still makes you feel good inside. :goodvibes: :thumbs up

TeriM
January 23rd, 2009, 01:41 AM

Way to go ladies :thumbs up. LP, tell dh he is welcome but make sure you don't get him to used to it or he might expect that on a regular basis :laughing:.

I've been pretty good this week. I've finally finished a few work projects that have been hanging around forever and I am being careful to keep my office much more organized which makes me much more productive :thumbs up.

Chris21711
January 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM
I was thinking last night, I'm going to ask Teri how far along she has come with her procrastination list since you have LP and myself buzzing around like flies......but you beat me to it :D

Well I have been doing some of it, but not alas the important stuff. The money is still in the bank even though I knew the interest rate was going to drop again :cool: that's twice since the money was deposited and both times I knew it was going to happen in advance and still did nothing :yell:

My other one and probably the most important is.............Income Tax....I know we will have money to come back, but they go back four years now...yes you read right, I have four years to do :yell:. I will have to stay off of the computer for a few days to wrap my head around that one :wall:

Winston
January 23rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Chris CRA has volunteers like myself that assist people with completing their returns. They would probably help you out? If you want some info on it just let me know.

Cindy

Chris21711
January 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
Chris CRA has volunteers like myself that assist people with completing their returns. They would probably help you out? If you want some info on it just let me know.

Cindy

Thanks Winston, it's a thought. I can do it if I really get down to it, my main one is the year that we closed the business, there are a few bits and pieces to tie-up. Maybe I could pm you and you might be able to advise me a bit. The other years are pretty straight forward, but I have to get that one out of the way first.