Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heating prepackaged raw/thoughts on brands

LittleMonster
January 8th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hey guys,

What do you think about heating/slightly cooking prepackaged raw food? I've just recently introduced my dog to prepackaged raw, and he won't touch the stuff when its cold, it has to be warm so I've been carefully heating it in the microwave. My question is, will ground bones in the patties be a problem if they get cooked? I am currently feeding 3P Naturals beef (no bones), and he seems to like it. It has 25% veggies, and says on the package it is organic hormone free beef...

What do you guys think of these brands by the way: Nature's variety, 3P naturals, fresh start, urban carnivore. All these brands are available at the petstore. Some websites say that feeding prepackaged raw isn't as good as DIY raw but I have no idea how old these websites/comments are or if anything has changed in the industry. Any comments on that?

luckypenny
January 8th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Why don't you just sit the food in some lukewarm water to thaw? Cooked bones don't digest the way raw bones do, even when they're ground up.

Personally, I prefer to prepare my own raw meals...I know what's going into them that way. And it's much cheaper :thumbs up.

bendyfoot
January 8th, 2009, 09:24 PM
My biggest issue with the prepackaged stuff is that it's following the same basic premise that got consumers hooked on kibble initially - it's "easier". People used to feed scraps and raw meat, then the pet food industry and some clever marketing convinced people that kibble was "better". Well, it's more convenient I suppose, but not better, that's for darn sure.

Just because prepackaged raw is "easier" doesn't make it better, IMO. I'll admit, when we first started dabbling in raw, packaged patties were a less scary way of putting our toes in the water. But honestly, the benefits of whole, unprepared food is sooooo much better. Our dogs scarf patties in seconds. A turkey wing or chicken thigh keeps them working (chewing, therefore stimulated mentally and physically), and they are getting the dental cleaning benefits of the whole food as well (lost in patties).

The raw you're feeding...there's no bone? Do you mean that you're ground bone meal in with the meat? Bone is an absolute must for a raw diet, around 10-20% depending who you ask should be bone.

I agree with LP, better to let thaw out longer...personally, I don't worry too much if the meat is out for a while...I know for a fact our dogs eat weak-old (or older) random animal carcasses they find in the field and have never suffered from it. I find it hard to beleive they'd get sick from human-grade meat bought at a reputable source if I let it warm up to room temperature :shrug:

And yeah, it's WAY cheaper to feed our own raw. And honestly, not that much more complicated.

LittleMonster
January 8th, 2009, 11:11 PM
thx for the replies.

the main reason I went for prepackaged is because it is so easy. I will probably eventually go the do it yourself route in the future. I guess it only makes sense for these smaller companies to follow the strategy of kibble since its such a success.

Yep bendyfood, you read correctly, the sample beef patty i got from the store didn't have ground bone in it, it was just a sample anyway... about chewing the food, my dog isn't the type who wolfs down everything. The sample patty i got wasn't finely ground actually, he could still rip some tissue apart (he is a quite small dog), but i do understand the advantage of the whole raw type with intact bones.

Lukewarm water it is.

growler~GateKeeper
January 8th, 2009, 11:28 PM
it has to be warm so I've been carefully heating it in the microwave. My question is, will ground bones in the patties be a problem if they get cooked? I am currently feeding 3P Naturals beef (no bones), and he seems to like it. It has 25% veggies, and says on the package it is organic hormone free beef...

What do you guys think of these brands by the way: Nature's variety, 3P naturals, fresh start, urban carnivore. All these brands are available at the petstore.

I wouldn't put it in the microwave simply because it changes the molecular structure of the food while cooking it. If any variety has bone in it even ground bone it must NOT be cooked. What I have done in the past when my cat has been a little picky with her Bison - also no bone - is very slightly sear it in a frying pan only on one side so it has the smell & barest taste of cooked but is still mostly raw. Again if there is bones in the meat do NOT cook it.

LP has a great suggestion let the food sit in the bowl, put the bowl in the sink w/warm water to thaw/warm to room temp, I used to do that when I started raw feeding only takes a couple of minutes :)

Nature's variety is good, Fresh Start, Urban Carnivore and 3P even better, my brand of choice is Natural Instincts :thumbs up

The raw you're feeding...there's no bone? Do you mean that you're ground bone meal in with the meat? Bone is an absolute must for a raw diet, around 10-20% depending who you ask should be bone.

Many of the companies that make ground raw do not include bones in the beef/elk/bison/lamb but bones are in other meat varieties. Aslong as beef is not the only variety being fed unless supplementing w/RMBs, 1-2 times per week meat without bone is fine.

TwistedAngel
January 10th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I also worry about bones in the microwave getting cooked, and believe that heating in warm water would be best.

Another, cheaper option for you, particularly if you are worried about the quality of pre-packaged products, is Better In The Raw from knowbetterdogfood.com I use the feline counterpart quite often. I don't use it as a sole diet, it is fed three to four times a week and supplemented with RMBs, whole eggs, and the occasional serving of offal, but it would suffice as one and would allow you to control the quality of the meats you are feeding.

Also, I am assuming that the food you currently use has a calcium/mineral supplement if it doesn't contain bone?

LittleMonster
January 10th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Actually i asked about knowbetterdogfood.com in another thread too. I will have to order a pack of those. I have to find a good place to find organic meat/ofal though, but I really do like the idea of it, i think more than prepackaged raw. Like you said, I would have more control over what he eats.

The boneless food i mentioned was just a sample pack i got at the pet store. I went back today and bought some more food. Unfortunately they didn't have 3P Naturals organic chicken w/bone so I went for Urban Carnivore instead. The lukewarm water method worked well, and I just microwaved and mashed some veggies to top off a half chicken patty. He finished the whole thing and seemed to love it just as much as 3P Naturals. I got to do a taste test too, he likes raw food the most, then home cooked, then kibble.

I did some calculations and it seems prepackaged costs less than $2/day, if buying my own meat (plus in the raw supplements) is even cheaper, there is little that would convince me to go back to kibble.