Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi

pepjeff
January 8th, 2009, 04:05 PM
We are in the process of purchasing a mutt, yes a mutt, not a hybrid cocka -doodle-****za-spaniel-shepherd-huska-poo,( I have issues with hybids) they are still mutts, LOL. We get to view our potential pup on Jan.20th, and he'll ( we have decided on a boy, hopefully there will be one) be all ours on Jan.31. I'm wondering if anyone out there has some experience and can maybe help us know what to expect. I do realize that all mixes are different, but any advice would be appreciated. Mom is an American Eskimo bred with a Shepherd/ Border Collie, and Dad is a Chow Chow.

We have twins who are turning 7 in April and two cats. My heart is set on one of these pups, and any advice on acclimating him to our family, as well as anyone who might have a similar mix, helping us to know what to expect, would be greatly appreciated.

Winston
January 8th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Welcome...sorry I am not familiar with the breeds but perhaps searching both types of breeds will give you soomething familiar about both? there is alot of info here on how to introduce your dog with the family and children! Good Luck

Cindy

luckypenny
January 8th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Someone is intentionally breeding mutts for sale :confused:? I'm sure there are lots of similar puppies for adoption at your local shelters/rescues, very possibly on death row. Why would you want to support a backyard breeder :shrug:?

pepjeff
January 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I'd love to adopt a shelter dog. You say that you are sure that there are many similar puppies available? Nope. I've been on the puppy waiting list for over a year with my local humane society. They have about 15 adult dogs at a time and I've waited long enough, so I've decided to find a privately owned puppy. Everything that I have researched indicates that the transition for my two cats is better for everyone if the cats are older. Not to mention that 99% of the available dogs list "no cats" as a qualification currently.

Besides which, this is not a backyard breeder selling mutts as "hybrids" for hundreds of dollars. Its a litter from a family dog who escaped during her cycle. She had 10 pups, and I am preventing one more from ending up at a shelter.

PS... He will be fixed as soon as he is old enough. I do not support backyard and irresponsible breeding. Accidents do happen