Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

looking for new dog food

noodlelegs
January 7th, 2009, 11:01 PM
since we've adopted our 11 mth old border collie/retriever mix in sept. we've had off and on loose stool issues. one is fine the next has no form. recently a trip to the vet showed no parasites in the stool but the antidirreaha med did not firm it up.we've been supplimenting her nutro max with cooked chicken and rice to little success. I found Evo brand online but don't know much about it. Any recommendations? I'm new to this whole chat room stuff.

want4rain
January 7th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Evo is great, the vet suggest perhaps an allergy???

-ash

otter
January 7th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Soft stools can be caused by lots of things....

Evo is a good food I believe, one of many out there. I'm not much of an expert in these things but i'd DEFINITELY try out a grain free diet to see if that helps. If your dog is doing OK despite the soft poops you can try out some simple things (like going grain free, different protein sources) without too much worry. Just follow the usual guidelines for introducing new foods to ensure you don't end up with issues due to stuff being new.

Did the vet do blood work too... might be worth while too for a new dog :thumbs up

My dog (10 yr old golden retriever) had soft poops until I stopped feeding her kibble entirely, went to home cooked instead - just one experience though.

noodlelegs
January 7th, 2009, 11:32 PM
We had blood work done when we first brought her home from the rescue shelter. The vet thought we should remove bones and rawhide chews from her diet first to see if that helped and try some dietary changes before bloodwork. taking her chewies away didn't do much so we thought we'd try food next.

otter
January 7th, 2009, 11:35 PM
We had blood work done when we first brought her home from the rescue shelter. The vet thought we should remove bones and rawhide chews from her diet first to see if that helped and try some dietary changes before bloodwork. taking her chewies away didn't do much so we thought we'd try food next.
I was just thinking bloodwork to rule out any kidney, liver, etc. issues but if you had it done when you got her, that's probably quite fine.

I too would keep working on the food... it'd be a likely suspect for poop issues (Nutro isn't great food)

noodlelegs
January 7th, 2009, 11:37 PM
thanks for the advice. Cats I'm good with ; the dog.....that's a new thing for me. never thought I'd spend my day talking about poop!!!!!

want4rain
January 7th, 2009, 11:37 PM
wellness core is also grain free and widely available. :)

we feed raw/homecooked because of exploding butts. :rolleyes:

-ash

rainbow
January 7th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I would also put her on a grain free kibble and add some canned pure pumpkin (not the pie filling type) to her food. If the pumpkin doesn't help give her some slippery elm bark or else try digestive enzymes from the health food store.

luckypenny
January 7th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Rawhide has always made one of our dogs extremely sick. He also doesn't do well on any kibble at all due to previous intestinal issues (we've tried them all :o) so we feed all our three a raw diet.

However, we've had only success feeding any of our fosters grain free Orijen. Never once have we encountered a problem with it.

While I'm here, I think I'll sneak in, "think we can get some pics of your furbabies :rolleyes:?" :D

Etown_Chick
January 8th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I discovered recently that my doggie seems allergic to something in his food. It's totally grain free, Orijen brand.
He suspects chicken, as that's quite common. The ears itch and they get loose stool from it. If you are switching foods anyway, maybe try one with no chicken.

geisha
January 11th, 2009, 11:12 PM
When you feed higher quality food you don't have to feed as much. Usually the recommended amounts tend to be a bit high. Try cutting back a little perhaps 1/4 cup for a few days and see if this makes a difference.