Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What tricks do your pets do?

Cactus Flower
July 29th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Just curious- what tricks do your pets do?

Raja can talk. I mean, she tries to talk like a human- not barking. I will say "I love you", and she replies with something that sounds like "I love you". Freaks out my friends- they say I need to send in a video to that Pet Video show. Often, when she has a gripe, she will just stand there going on and on, voicing herself. It's funny. It sounds more like a person doing an imitation of a dog talking.
She can also wave, high five, and do this thing I call "Kiss the ring". I'll say "tell everyone to kiss the ring" (like in royalty), and she raises her hand, bent down at the wrist. Very funny!

Chloe, my Finnish Spitz, simply does not do requests. Period.

Jackie467
July 29th, 2004, 01:12 PM
My dog Candi will not do requests either. but my mother's dog BJ will do all the basics plus shake, roll over, and "give me huggies". "give me huggies" is what we say when we want him to cuddle, he will put his front paws in your lap and lay his head on your chest and wait for you love on him. the wierd thing is he will only do this with women, absolutly no men. My cat Jasmine will only do one thing that everyone tells me is strange for a cat to do. she will come to me when i call her, but only me and no one else.

oh yeah i forgot that BJ also will go running to the window if you say the word squirel, and it doesn't matter what way you say it, just the word makes him run to the window. and he knows all 15 of his toys by name.

alpha sheltie
July 29th, 2004, 01:23 PM
I want to start musical freestyle with them. That plus the fact that I really have no life so they both know a fair bit.

Kai:
-Basics (Sit, down, stay, come)
-Heel (at a running pace as well as a slowwwwwww pace)
-Stand
-Shake, Other Paw
-Leave it
-Focus
-Table (Hops on the picnic table.. also an agility command)
-Foot, Other Foot
-High Five
-Up! (Puts both paws on my arm while standing)
-Gimme Kiss
-Spin (He'll spin when I either say it vocally or move my head slightly to the right)
-Backup
-Over (arms, legs, hoops, jumps)
-Go to bed
-In
-Crate
-Around
-Through (goes from my right leg [facing the other way] and going around through my legs or weaving as I walk)
-Bark
-Take a bow
-Bang
-Roll Over
-Crawl
-Find Ashley
-Find your toy
-Blush
-With me
-Leash (grabs his leash and holds it)
-Hold it
-Wave

(he's in the process of learning "Grunt")

Kaedyn
-Basics (Sit, down, stay, come)
-Heel
-Stand
-Shake, Other Paw
-Leave it
-Table (Hops on the picnic table.. also an agility command)
-High Five
-Up! (Puts both paws on my arm while standing)
-Spin (He'll spin when I either say it vocally or move my head slightly to the right)
-In
-Around
-Take a bow
-Bang
-Roll Over

(He's in the process of learning "Over")

Cinnabear
July 29th, 2004, 01:27 PM
WOW ;) Way to go!

I'm definately not that energetic with mine. Newt knows sit, down, roll over turn around, and may stand up sometimes. Hera is a rescue so I'm starting to train her to sit and down.

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Den-Den says please, shakes hands, sits up nice (on his haunches), walks across the kitchen and waits and then takes a stroll back on his hind legs, dances (twirling on back legs), stretches, yawns, and takes a bow. He'll bring his bone-bone, rope-rope, and tug-tug when asked. When asked what he wants, he'll either go to the drawer where his leash is kept or will stand up to point his nose toward the candy jar where his milk-bones are kept. He doesn't like taking a stroll if there are other dogs around. He seems to think they'll get the treat if he moves away from me any distance.

melanie
July 29th, 2004, 05:34 PM
well charlie has the basics of course, she can also find people when asked or if they are not around she runs to the door and waits to be let out to go find them, so cute when she is looking for her daddydog. she can kiss and not kiss (tounge in mouth please) and can cuddle forever and puts her head in your chest as well, she does the sit and stay while i go and hide behind a tree and she comes and gets me. she doesnt really like tricks, i thnk she finds it a bit demeaning :eek: :D (you should see the look i get), but she has a great one where we only use hand signals. i put my hand in the air above her and she sits, i put the hand behind my back and she drops, up above up she sits and down she goes, it is funny when she gets going fast and she goes like crazy, but thats her onyl real trick i would say. we call it doggy calisthenics (sorry bad spelling) :D :D .

Donna Marie
July 29th, 2004, 05:37 PM
My cats sit on command.

basshebeth
July 29th, 2004, 05:42 PM
my cat will come on command, depending on her mood of course, she knows up-up (jumps up on whatever you tell her too) and kiss kiss (she'll lick your nose)

MBRA518
July 29th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Well peanut's a cat... nuf said :D

Rosie however has lots... she knows all the basics: sit, come, stay, wait, down, heel, and the ever useful "go lay down" LOL (great for those - 'I just ate kitty crunchies and want to lick you now' moments :o )
She also shakes - but will give the correct 'hand' - like you offer left - she offers left, just like a person handshake... you can mix it up asking for different paws, sometime she pauses while she thinks about which one she needs to give... so cute; she also does a high 5.

Her best, and most impressive tricks are the treat on the nose (ever see a rottie go cross eyed :D ) and she leaves it thereuntil released, then she catches it - well most of the time. Also I can tell her to 'stay' - put a treat on the floor and tell her "don't eat that" and she will just wait untill I release her before she eats it... this one is great when adding meds to food on the floor.

She also knows all the agility stuff like point and say through, over, under..etc and "table" but we're a little rusty on those... too old for that stuff now ;) Although we play with it a little in the local playground sometimes... but she's only ever interested in that for like 2 mins... then she's had enough.

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 08:25 PM
I tried to teach Puss-Puss to stay when we first adopted her. Never had a cat before. Cats do have a sense of humor! :D

krdahmer
July 29th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Well my younger cat Smoke loves to play fetch with her toy mouse. I have trained all my cats as you would a dog with positive reinforcement, you'd be surprised how much our cats enjoy learning new things and the interaction they get with us. And I tell ya my mom came up with the greatest owner/cat excersise toy. Take a smaller size dowel and drill a hole at one end, tie a string or shoelace through the hole. And I tell ya the cats will chase that thing until I can hardly move!!! :D

krdahmer
July 29th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Oh and all my girls "speak" for their tarter control treats!