Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy will not stop shaking and will not pee

tigger_gurl
January 7th, 2009, 07:57 AM
hello,

i just brought home a 4 month old Shiba Inu. He is the sweetest.
I just cant seem to get him to stop shaking... is he cold or just scared?

Another thing, i brought him home yesterday around 6 and its now 8am and he will not pee. I thought for sure he would in his create last night - but nothing.

Any advice?
Thanks

AmericanBullMom
January 7th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Your dog SHOULD NOT be forced to pee in his kennel!! As a matter of fact thats the idea of CRATE training, since dogs automatically dont want to pee where they sleep!

Take your puppy outside, or teach them to use puppy pads.

If he still doesnt pee, a vet visit is DEFINITELY in order.

DoubleRR
January 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM
He is scared, and possibly ill if he isn't urinating. I hope he is drinking and eating--if so, he has to pee, take him outside frequently until he does. How was he raised--in a large kennel with papers to eliminate on or has he been using the great outdoors? Whatever he is used to can help him transition to eliminating outdoors, for instance, some newspapers out on the snow if he is used to those in a kennel situation.

hazelrunpack
January 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM
It could just be stress, but it might be something like a urinary tract infection--makes it hurt to pee, so the dog may decide to hold it as long as possible--or even a blockage due to a bladder stone. So if you haven't made an appointment yet, get one as soon as you can with your vet. If it is a UTI or a blockage, the longer you wait the more dangerous it can be.

Make sure he gets plenty of time outside to give him a chance to relax and pee in the meanwhile. :fingerscr that he makes you happy by relieving himself. :D

Any new dog should be checked out by a vet as soon as possible, anyway--if only to get your vet familiar with your new animal and to get a file started on him. So even if he pees, it would be a good idea to get him introduced to your vet. :thumbs up

Good luck, tigger_gurl :goodvibes:

richardstarkey
January 9th, 2009, 07:27 PM
You should also ask your veterinarian about Comfort Zone. I know they sell a dog pheromone spray that helps with dog crate training.

tigger_gurl
January 11th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Oh nono... i was not forcing him to go in his crate, i just thought that he might let go cause he had not for so long.

He is ok now... his create is his "bed". He does not pee in it.

He has been peeing out side and we take him out alot... he has puppy pads - he will use them at night... but during the day he still will pee on the carpet - and we chews the puppy pads the min we put it down and look away.

He is not getting the fact the he has to poop on them... he will not go out side. my carpets are all stained, i'm on my second bottle of stain remover in 4 days...

Does anyone have any training tips... i love the little guy and i know it take time ... but omg i am getting so frustraded. :shrug:

JennieV
January 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hi Tigger_girl,

I would suggest that you start a routine: feed the dog, then give him like 20-30 minutes (you will have to watch him carefully) of time, then scoop him and go outside. The trick is to notice when he is looking for a spot to go, he will circle a bit and sniff more than normal...Thats the sign you are looking for. As soon as you see that - grab him and go, but best if you take him even before he shows signs. I know it is cold outside these days, but that is the key for a successful house training - timing, patience and attention.

Don't get mad at him for going inside (i know that it is frustrating to clean over and over, but he wont understand why you are mad at him), just as soon as he is getting ready to go - grab him and OUT! Once he goes outside, even if its a little tiny bit - PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE! Never mind the neighbours thinking you are cuckoo, it wont take long, dogs are eager to please and he will get the clue hopefully pretty quick.

Same concept goes for the training pads. I also did something else - if the puppy peed on the floor, I would soak the pad up and leave it laying around. The next time the puppy is looking for a spot to pee - he will go to the one that smells like pee (hence peeing on the carpet!). I found that my puppy started to chew the pads, therefore I just house-trained him, and skipped the pads. Being patient, attentive and timing his food/drink times to going outside right after - that is what helped me to train Sparky really fast. It took me literally about a week and a half to fully house-train him. The only time we ever had an accident was a one-time mild case of diarrhea at night, while we were asleep.

Good luck! :highfive: