Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Attack, help-I am new

Puppy Love
July 29th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Hello everyone,
I am new here, I was looking for some answers to my problem and found this site. Here is my story:
I need your help as much as I can.
Here goes my story:
We left our little pooch (miniture Schnauzer mix) with our kind next door lady for 3 days due to a mini trip to Calgary. While they were playing together at the park a boxer named, Max approached my dog and the lady and started attacking my dog. My dog and the boxer started fighting and our sweet lady try to stop where the owner of the boxer didn't do aything..(not to mention the owner of this boxer has a history of having a vicious dog and now the dog has put down)and my next door lady got bit by this boxer and has 10 stiches on her lower arm. She is doing really bad on the antibiotic, she is getting a lot of reactions.
Now the owner of this vicious boxer lives in our condo building and he is not cooperating on the Muzzle order on his dog. He is keep denying that it wasn't his dog that bit the lady and blamming on my poor little pooch. I am wiling to do a teeth mark - DNA test on both of the dogs and determind that it was his dog that bit our sweet next door lady. Also our next door lady said that for sure it was the Boxer, Max who bit her.
The owner of this boxer has been warned by so many people / condo board in our building that his dog is out of control and he has no control over his dog. This boxer bit my neigbour friend on her leg and also bit my ankle when he was 8month old. It is not the dog's fault but he needs to relize that he is not fit to have a dog.
We are trying to get all the help to get this problem solved but yet nothing has been brought to justice. We are trying get him to get a muzzle on his dog, pay all the medical bills for the victim and hopely the boxer can find a better home and get proper obedience traning program.
Any suggestion would do at this point,
Thank you all

Puppy Love

sammiec
July 29th, 2004, 11:40 AM
I think this has turned into a matter for the Animal Control and the ploice. This person is refusing to follow the city and your building by laws. Something must be done!! This matter has gone too far. You can annomously call the AC and talk to someone about your rights. DNA testing havs been completed so far? That's what I gathered from your post. Has there been a court order for the dog to be euthanized? How did the muzzle bylaw fit into this. You need to take immediate action or this idiot is going to get all the dog owners in your building in hot water.
Let us know!!

Puppy Love
July 29th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Thank you Sammiec,
I have tried to contact Animal control here in toronto but they are very cold and not helpful. I think this muzzle order has been authorized by Toronto Public Health according to our next door lady. While she was in the hospital Toronto Public Health filed a report on the dog. There has been no DNA nor bite mark test yet since this owner of the boxer refuses to do anything. As a dog lover I love save the boxer before he harms more people and little dogs. He is a beautiful boxer but he needs to be trained and be under control. I have a bad feeling he will be put down soon because of his behaviour where we can save him. I don't know what to do. I don't know who to talk to or where to call. Since it was my baby that the lady was saving so I would love to involve in this matter and help her out, not to mention this lady is in her late 60's and she is not doing very well after this accident.

Puppy Love

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Have all these bites been reported each time to Animal Control? How is your little dog? Was he also injured?

Puppy Love
July 29th, 2004, 12:22 PM
My dog was saved by my next door lady on time and he is fine. I want this to be solved so bad.

Puppy Love

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Thank goodness! My Den-Den was injured a couple weeks ago and I've been dealing with Animal Control too. The thing that seems to really make the biggest difference is that there were previous complaints. They seem to go by a 1st offence-do this, 2nd offence-do that, type mentality. But when the injuries are to a human, that should really shake it up. Here, the hospital is required to report dog bites. Thanks go to your neighbor for stepping in to help your dog!

Cinnabear
July 29th, 2004, 01:20 PM
I agree with the others. You NEED to report this with whoever has animal control in your area. And I would be constantly calling to see what the follow up is. Do not let this lie at their feet. Tell the people who have been bitten to file a complaint. I don't know why your condo board isn't taking a stronger stance with the dog that bites. :mad: Are they not scared that the dog won't bite a child? You need to be strong to get this resolved.

Good luck to you, hoping you get the answers you deserve.

Puppy Love
July 29th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Thank you all again for all your advices and support,
I like to know where about we can file a complain and get the owner of the boxer to pay full to my nextdoor lady the medical fee and other dog bite treatment? Since he is not sorry about behalf of his irresponsibility, we like to have him to pay all the costs. We don't like to involve a lawyer yet (it is an option) but have him learn his leason and pay for what he has done to us.
Since I am not the victim ( although I think I am since it was my dog that she was looking after) I am having a hard time having my voice heard. The only punishment given to the boxer and the owner is a muzzle order for 10 days and then what? well Toronto animal control can't give me any answers, they are useless at this point. :mad:
I hope there is an organization or a group can help me with this situation.

Puppy Love

mastifflover
July 29th, 2004, 01:47 PM
You need to contact animal control and keep on them and tell them if you dont see some action taken you will be calling the newspapers. Government agencies dont like bad publicity.I would also contact your elected official in your area and get him involed then I would contact a lawyer or if you have one in your building who could draft a letter to this irresponsible owner warning of an impending law suit. You also need to contact the police this guy is a menace and should not have a dog or any animal. Just make sure that you go through all the proper channels so nothing gets missed. I would also contact the board of your condo and have everyone sign a petition to get rid of the dog or better yet the owner. I do realize that this is about the owner not having a clue about training and obedience but unfortunatley the dog will pay the price. I hate these a88holes,who do this to animals.

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Get statements from any witnesses. Have other victims put their complaints in writing and what was done as follow-up. Get copies of the animal control report. Go in person to get this. Have other condo residents sign a petition demanding something be done re this danger. File an insurance claim against the condo board naming the responsible party.

MBRA518
July 29th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Thank you all again for all your advices and support,
I like to know where about we can file a complain and get the owner of the boxer to pay full to my nextdoor lady the medical fee and other dog bite treatment? Since he is not sorry about behalf of his irresponsibility, we like to have him to pay all the costs. We don't like to involve a lawyer yet (it is an option) but have him learn his leason and pay for what he has done to us.
Since I am not the victim ( although I think I am since it was my dog that she was looking after) I am having a hard time having my voice heard. The only punishment given to the boxer and the owner is a muzzle order for 10 days and then what? well Toronto animal control can't give me any answers, they are useless at this point. :mad:
I hope there is an organization or a group can help me with this situation.

Puppy Love

Call the police, ensure that at report has been filed with them as well - it likely was when the lady was at the hospital. Then call a lawyer - there is unfortunately no other way to get him to pay the medical bills and such, most dog owners in that situation would offer, but as it seems this umm... man will not be doing that, so sue him.

As for the dog, if it has a history of attacking he will need a VERY experienced trainer to evaluate him to see if re-training is even possible... he may have to be PTS. Dogs that have attacked before are hard to place as the only people who will usually take them are not responsible pet owners - if you catch my drift.

sammiec
July 30th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Puppy Love! How are things going? Have you had any change? Everyone is right. This issue cannot be dropped. Do you know people in your building that might have had simialr ruin ins with this owner and the dog? Maybe they can be "character witnesses". I would place a call the Animal Control at least once a day - "the sweaky wheel gets the oil", right?!? definately write a letter to The Toronto Sun - they thrive on this stuff!!! And the Star, the Nation Post, CP24... there are TONS of ways to get your story heard!!! If you mention to them that you're fight for aknowledgement from the AC then they could possibly do a story on it!!! Definately file a police report about the incedent, but don't wait too long - then they'll just turn around and say -why'd you wait so long!!!

I would also file a complaint with your building management - maybe not the super, but go all the way to head office - ask others in your building to do so as well - (un)fortunately this worked at my building, enough compalints were recoreded that they had to do something....

Puppy Love
July 30th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Thank you again everyone,
Now the dog is muzzled (some how I feel bad that the dog is punished where the owner is not a good fit for the dog). I set down with my next door lady and asked her what do we want out of this. So we took a picture of her arm and I think she is ready to sue the irresponsible boxer owner. We are going to determind the bite mark and have him to relize that it was his dog.

All your great advices helped us a lot, I am so glad that I found this site. It is still too early to be happy but I am sure we can get answers soon and hopely to save another hopeless dog. I really wish that the boxer can find a better family who will give him a right training.

Puppy Love

glasslass
July 30th, 2004, 12:22 PM
That owner already knows it's his dog. It's a matter of proving to the authorities that it was his dog and that he's also, by the way, trying to avoid his responsibility. Don't feel bad about the dog being muzzled. That is probably protecting him too at this point by preventing him from doing even more damage and possibly having someone else step in to destroy him in action. Also, it's preventing another poor innocent pet and owner from being killed or injured.

rexdoggieowner
July 30th, 2004, 12:36 PM
I dunno if this sounds silly, but maybe you could record or take pictures of it happening without the owner seeing it. Cause then if it goes to court, you will have proof... and proof is all you need to file a complaint.. and you all are witnesses. Another good thing to do, from a police point of view is to record every time you see something happening, like the dog without the mussel on, or attacking another dog/ person... start keeping records of this and instruct other people in your building to do the same.

Best of luck, keep us posted !!

K

( p.s. that guy has some nerve :mad: )

Writing4Fun
July 30th, 2004, 12:49 PM
I don't know about you, but if I see anyone - two-legged or four - being attacked by a vicious dog, I'm not going to think "Oh, migosh! Where's my camera?!" :rolleyes: Someone mentionned a police report. If this hasn't been done already, it should be done soon! The neighbor's scars should be proof enough. I think any decent vet can attest to the difference between a bite wound from a Boxer and a Min-Schnauzer.

Puppy Love
July 30th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Deep down in my heart, I want to save the boxer. I truly think that it is not the dog's fault, it is the owners fault. I think all we wanted is his honesty and admitting on his irrisposibility - by doing that so, he is saving everyone's time, himself and most of all, his dog.
He dosen't even think that the dog is dangerous to all of us. He told me the other day that he doesn't understand why we are so upset over this and he thinks his dog is the most friendly dog in this world. I think he has a mental issue and for sure the dog should find a better family.

I am doing all my best right now. I think my next door lady should sue him not for any money but to teach him a great lesson.

Thank you all for the great support.

Puppy Love

Puppy Love
August 5th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Hello everyone,
Sorry for not posting for a while,
I thought I should drop a line or two to update you all with our nasty situation:
Our next door lady got her stiches out and got result that it was not my poor pooch that bit her. Her vet told her that if the boxer bit my dog instead of our next door lady, our dog would have been dead.... phew, She really saved my baby.
The animal control warn that the boxer is consider as a dangerous dog after seeing the nasty bite mark.
At this moment we are trying to avoid making any contact with the boxer and his owner and waiting to hear back more from the Animal Control of Toronto.
Thank you all for your great advice(s) and support.

Puppy Love

glasslass
August 5th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Now that it's been proven that the boxer was responsible, you should get a petition signed by other residents to present to the condo board to force him to rehome this dog and not have any others. In your first post, you mentioned the owner had a history with a previous dog that was put down?

sammiec
August 5th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Glasslass, that's a good suggestion; for the safety of ohers and their pets, this person should no longer be in "control" of that dog.

If you have something signed by the vet stating that this dog is in fact the one that bit the lady, it can do 1 of 2 things, have the dog euthanized for biting the lady or have it rehomed to a suitable location. This "owner" is obviously not responsible enough to care for this animal. He should have owned up to it being his fault!! I don't know what suitable advice I could give in this situation. I'm sorry! But I really hope that everything works out for you, the lady and the boxer...have you seen him while your out with your dog? Has the boxer attempted to get at your pooch at all?

Puppy Love
August 5th, 2004, 02:50 PM
We have seen the boxer with muzzle on so they are doing something to preven further damage. However our intention is just have the boxer's owner to be more responsible towards his dog. Maybe we are just being too nice but we don't want the dog to put down nor take him away from his current owner(I know maybe I am toooooooo nice :confused: ). This is very frustrating but slowly moving forward. I hope the owner of the boxer learn his lesson.....
I am meeting up with my next door lady to discuss our action, soon we will have some answers. Meanwhile you guys rock!

PS: my little pooch, George is doing great, he loves our next door lady more and more everyday, I think he knows that she is a hero ;)

Puppy Love

sammiec
August 11th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Just wondering if there's any new information!?!? :)

Puppy Love
August 11th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Sorry, there is no new information since then, I guess it has been filed.
However the muzzle order has been lifted for the boxer, that really upsets me. Arggggggg.

Puppy love

Babs
August 11th, 2004, 01:09 PM
This is a solid case proving the theory behind dog bites and irresponsible ownership. I am horrified that an owner with a previous track record of a vicious dog that has been put down was permitted to have another.

I too, feel very sorry for this Boxer.

That being said, it sounds like you are taking the appropriate steps. The owner, rather than the animal, should be the target for action.

I note you live in Toronto.Here is a copy of Toronto's Dog Licensing Law (http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_349.pdf)

Toronto has one of the most accommodating licensing laws in Ontario. It does, however, have a provision where a dog proven to have bitten someone must be muzzled, which it sounds has been ordered against the Boxer. The owner must comply with this order, however he is entitled to a hearing.

Other than requiring to have his boxer muzzled, I cannot see anything in that document further penalty to the owner or the dog. In other words, this owner can keep the boxer provided he is muzzled publically at all times (which I doubt he will be able to comply). If he is found without the muzzle, I am unsure what the City will order... there doesn't seem to be anything.

IMHO, owners with histories like this should recieve an Order which prevents them from owning another canine animal unless they participate in a certified training program for canines and owners.

dognamedboo
January 4th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I empathize completely with your concern for your sweet lady neighbor and your little schnauzer; however, I know for sure that when these altercations occur THE BIG DOG IS ALWAYS BLAMED. There is a small schnauzer that lives in our building that terrorizing all dogs that live here: large, medium, or small, it does not matter. This little SOB attacked my medium size dog in the elevator when we first moved here -- bit him on the glut, deep bite mark, drew blood. I realize they are DOGS, no matter how we as loving pet owners want to domesticate them, they are still animals. A year or so passed & my dog grew to his adult 60 lbs and does not like that schnauzer (with good reason). Outdoors in the park one day with both these dogs on leash, the schnauzer tried to again attack my dog. My dog responded in kind. Thankfully, they never got closer than 10 feet to each other because they were both leashed. The male owner of the little out-of-control schnauzer attempted to subdue his dog by grabbing his dog's collar. The schnauzer turned and bit the hand of his own owner. His owner was mad because he was bitten and will NOT admit that his own dog did it. Naturally, he went back to the condo to report that my dog bit him. He filed an "anonymous" report against my dog with animal control. My dog does not bite people, but would like to kick his dog's butt. It is always easier to blame another person's dog when bitten. It is common sense that one should not put ones arm's near a dog when he is mad or showing agressive behavior. It is entirely possible that your friend was bitten by the schnauzer. A dog has no recognition of whose hand is in front of him when he is in this position. You said your dog also fought. This is entirely natural afterall they are animals, but it is always easier to blame the big dog & AFTERALL this is a Boxer. Well I am here to say that Schnauzer's are terriers & are not the most gentle dogs in the world. Both caretakers are to blame --- dogs were just doing what dogs do sometimes. People need to learn dog behavior or not own dogs. Also I do know there are agressive dogs, but it is not clear to me that this boxer is any more agressive than this "innocent" little schnauzer. All I learned from this situation with my dog & the schauzer is this. I do not allow anyone to walk my dogs besides me. I do not allow my dogs to mingle or play with dogs I do not know. We all have a responsibility to look out for our own. Other dogs do not just appear out of nowhere. We have to be diligent in our awareness of our surroundings, including speeding cars, dogs we do not know (small or large), and anything else that may be detrimental to our dogs' safety. Heck, either of my own dogs could react to another dog he does not know or like. It is not necessarily the fault of other dogs or dog owners. Is it possible that some of these incidences are our fault for not properly protecting our own pets???????? And [B]why is it that bigger dogs always get the blame for fighting when smaller dogs have the same aggression tendancies? Smaller dogs have sharp teeth too !!!!!! Do you consider that your sweet neighbor was bitten by your own dog? It is easier to blame the big one. Also, she did not do a good job of scouting out the environment to stay very clear of the boxer's space, did she??

we3beagles
January 4th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Did you bother to read the previous posts? The vet and hospital have determined that it was a bigger bite than her dog was capable of.

cpietra16
January 4th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Just to note...the post is over 2 years old.

Mahealani770
January 4th, 2007, 02:19 PM
LMAO...and I was all into the story too! "Dognamedboo" really went diving into some old threads to find this one, eh? lol
I wonder how Puppy Love came out of the situation? Guess we'll never know...I hate when this happens :frustrated:

Golden Girls
January 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM
OMG I too am sitting here reading this thread :frustrated:

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 06:49 PM
You got me too. :D

brandynva
January 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM
ditto that!

technodoll
January 4th, 2007, 09:47 PM
threads are like milk.... gotta check the expiration date before taking a swig! LOL :D