Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found Black/white cat in Vaudreuil, and this cat is hurt. Needs home!

We love pets
January 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Long story short i have been feeding this black and white cat since this summer, that comes around once in a while for food. I thought maybe this cat had a home and would just sometimes come over for food. Well after a while since i haven`t seen him/her, the cat showed up this week, the problem is he is hurt on his head but looks like it healing. But I saw this cat limping. So after a couple of days of feeding it. I think he really is a stray cat. Problem is I can`t take him/her in since I already have a 2 cats and I am currently pregnant.

I was wondering if someone in my area would like to take him/her in and give it a deserving home.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do. At this point I am just feeding it when it comes around. I will try to take a picture and post it later.

Thanks

BenMax
January 6th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I would contact as many rescue groups as possible. If you google rescue groups Quebec there will be a listing. A picture always helps and I am certain someone can help. Good luck and thank you for caring.

NoahGrey
January 6th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I would contact your local shelter. This cat right be mircochiped and have a family missing him.

ACO22

jesssssica
January 6th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I would contact CASCA
http://www.cascaorg.com/

They are well known in Vaudreuil area.
I wish someone could do the same...I lost my dog :(

sandytofts
January 6th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I only wish I could help but I already have 7 cats and 2 dogs.....
Here are a couple of rescue agencies:

http://www.adoptapet.com/adoption_rescue/76204.html
http://www.adoptapet.com/adoption_rescue/70305.html
http://www.cascaorg.com/

Please do not call the local Vaudreuil pound I've heard some bad things....

CASCA was really helpful when I found a cat and lost a cat (which I found)

Thank you kindly
Sandy

kiara
January 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I just checked the CASCA site cascaorg.com, a Vaudreuil cat rescue group and there are two black and white cats missing in Vaudreuil. Their pictures are provided, so please check. Thanks

We love pets
January 8th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Here is a picture of the hurt cat which I took today

http://www.dudejb.com-a.googlepages.com/Charlie.jpg

He/she ate and then left. He unfortunately does not wish to come inside or have me touch him let alone pick him up. He is till limping. but hopefully as you can see his wound will heal and so will his leg. I have been feeding him on and off since June 08. Looks like my cat but his nose is all white. I have named him Charlie my outside friend. At this point I do not know what to do.

badger
January 9th, 2009, 04:39 AM
I wish I could help, this cold weather really puts strays to the test.
One thing you could do is provide him with a shelter. It might keep him hanging around so you could feed him regularly.

Check out this website:
www.neighbourhoodcats.org/info/wintershelter.htm

Styrofoam is cheap: about 3-4$ for a big sheet (Reno Depot). I used a plastic storage box, as in the article, but it could just as easily be a big carton. I bought a 'metallic blanket', the kind used by campers for emergencies (Canadian Tire 15$) to line the floor and a couple of inches up the sides. Straw is the ultimate for warmth but again, ripped up newspaper or an old sleeping bag or a blanket will do.

Make the door as small and high up as possible and tape something over it to cut the wind, with a slit in the middle to make an opening - I used a square of woollen blanket covered with heavy plastic.

If you use a carton, cover the whole thing in plastic, well taped, so it won't get wet; green garbage bags are OK but something heavier, such as a tarp (cheap blue ones are available at the dollar store) is even better. Spending a bit of money on good tape is worth the cost; I found some builder's tape at Canadian Tire which is resistant to humidity and doesn't come unstuck (so far!).

Place the shelter in a protected place - on or under a porch, for instance, where the snow doesn't drift, with the door angled inward. Find a way of getting it off the ground, to conserve heat - a sheet of plywood or even a few chunks of wood at the corners. Being able to get out of the elements and stay dry will be a huge help to this poor baby. And if he uses it regularly, you'll be able to keep an eye on him and get the calories into him that he needs to survive.

If you are just feeding kibble, don't forget that water is essential, served as hot as your tap will deliver it. They have as much trouble getting water as food in this weather.

I have taken in cats with terrible wounds that have healed without intervention (including broken bones). Let's hope this guy is tough.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

chico2
January 9th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Poor baby,he looks like an intact Tom,at least you are helping him survive:sad:
I am sure our cold winters could kill a little cat..
We had a large tom-cat who would not let himself be caught several years ago,he too had wounds and battle-scars.:sad:

We love pets
January 9th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Thank you for all the info. But I have made a cat shelter, its well insolated and its under my deck. I am not sure if he is using it. Since the summer he comes around but not every day. His face looks like a boy, but who knows could be a girl. I have really fallen for this little one, I guess I could just try to feed him and pray he gets better. But i really wonder what happen his wound is like so round, and he is limping. I wonder if he got hit by a car or got attacked by a dog. Who knows!!!
Should I give him some milk, the milk from Wiskas 98% lactos free??
Or will he get sick?? I have been giving him half milk and half water.
:pray: he gets better !

NoahGrey
January 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Ok, Have you not call your local animal shelter and see if they can trap it. If you decide to trap it you HAVE TOO montior it. You can not just leave it for hours. Also do not set a trap at night, since you will be sleeping and not be able to monitor the trap. He might be microschipped and have a family missing him.

You are saying "thanks for the info", but you are not saying that you are contacting the approicate resources. Again, this cat might be chipped and missing his family.

You comment from you first post, just simply asking if someone wants to take this cat in. I see this all the time. People who think that a animal is a stray and don't even bother looking for a possible owner. Just because it is a stray, does not mean that there is not a family missing him. You can also call the shelter and fill out a found report. Let them know that you have been feeding him, since June. They might have a lost report from a family who misses him

He also needs to be seen by a vet...not just a "I hope he gets better". He has a wound on his head (and could become infected) and is limping. He could have a possible broken bone. I hope that you don't have the mentality of "yes, I will feed him",but since it is not my cat, I will not take him to a vet because of the bills. If you are not trying to get him to a vet, then you have to call you local animal shelter and see if they can provide a humane trap. Also Do not give milk. It can cause D'rea in cats.

Also you can leave your garage open a bit for him. A good bedding to use to retain heat is straw.

ACO22

We love pets
January 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I have contacted the local cat shelter in my area, and they said maybe I can put posters up, for this found cat. Bring him to a vet. I also asked them if they knew any vets that can look at him for free, or for a small fee. They told me in my area there are no vets that give that service.
Animal control officer told me there would be a fee for setting a trap for a cat and depending on how many days trap is set. This cat doesnt come around every day.
I tried making him come in so he can eat and get warm, but he doesnt let anyone next to him.
Also I shouldn`t be touching him or picking him up since i am pregnant.
I don`t have the money to have him checked by a vet.
So if anybody knows a vet that is willing to take a look at him. I am willing to pay for the trap.

badger
January 9th, 2009, 10:13 AM
There's a clinic in Dorion that is (or used to be) very active on the rescue front - anyone remember the full name? They always had one or two strays in the back room. They helped me with a beautiful grey once, he was ultimately adopted from there.
It's worth a call.

Then you can work on getting him in.
He sounds more timid than aggressive. It would be more an issue of catching him than defending yourself. If you got him on a routine, where food appears at the same time every day, maybe he would learn to trust you. If you are feeding kibble, try him on some canned food, they come running for that.
I know some rescue groups have traps that they will lend out. Are there any rescues in your area? The vet clinic would probably be able to tell you.

Wait, Clinique Veterinaire de Vieux Dorion??

We love pets
January 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Thank you so much Badger!
He is not aggressive at all. Just doesn`t want to be touched. I will try doing a google look up for that vet.
I am giving him canned food plus dry food.
Will keep you posted.
I will try asking the cat shelter inmy area if they can lend me a trap.

NoahGrey
January 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM
He is not aggressive at all. Just doesn`t want to be touched.

alot of times cats (that are not feral) that do not want to be touched are more often then not, are in some kind of pain. Cats hide pain amazingly.

ACO22

chico2
January 9th, 2009, 12:24 PM
ACO,you took the words right out of my mouth,tha's what I think too.
It's also possible he's been kicked or hurt by people not so cat-friendly.
I had a stray male(George) here for a couple years,fed him twice/day,he too had wounds on his head.
The Humane Society of Oakville lent me a cage and for one week,he managed to get to the food without being caught.
They also gave me some antibiotics to put in his food.
The OHS,wanted to trap him,neuter and vaccinate him and then bring him back here.
But one day he just did not show up anymore:cry:I suspect he died.
He too would not let me get too close.

chantal davis
January 13th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Long story short i have been feeding this black and white cat since this summer, that comes around once in a while for food. I thought maybe this cat had a home and would just sometimes come over for food. Well after a while since i haven`t seen him/her, the cat showed up this week, the problem is he is hurt on his head but looks like it healing. But I saw this cat limping. So after a couple of days of feeding it. I think he really is a stray cat. Problem is I can`t take him/her in since I already have a 2 cats and I am currently pregnant.

I was wondering if someone in my area would like to take him/her in and give it a deserving home.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do. At this point I am just feeding it when it comes around. I will try to take a picture and post it later.

Thanksi lost my cat and i am thinking it could be mine i live in orangeville is that where u r

badger
January 13th, 2009, 02:03 AM
The OP is in Quebec.