Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog snow booties

dogcatharmony
January 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Zoe's feet this year are awful from the snow, don't know if it's the super extra amount of sand/salt they are using on the sidewalks and roads or if it's from the freezing cold making the snow so snappy and jagged.

She has had rough feet before, but nothing like this. Some of the splits are quite large. She has even started hopping with the one bad foot up, and being the silly snow dog she is, she still wants to walk and run. So I got Pulvex ointment from the vet, Suppost to put it on twice a day, the stuff is almost like vaseline and gets everywhere when she moves...hopefully it's soaking in, but it seems like more gets on everything else than the feet. My floor is full of little oily tracks that could seriously hurt someone walking around in socks on wood floors, even Zoe slips and slides with this stuff on her feet but I am not suppost to cover up the feet with anything.

The vet also told me NO booties, it would make the problem worse with moisture in the boots. Now I know I looked for info about two years ago about dog booties(first time I encountered the cracked feet, but not as bad as this time), but none of the info stuck in my head. The lady at the pet store told me Yes to use booties and the ointment..but I don't know if it was just to make a sale or not.

I will go crazy trying to keep her in until her feet heal up, she is a high energy dog,not to mention a raging snow hound...if she misses one of her walks she is unbearable to be with.

Oh and here's the ingrediants of the Pulvex vet ointment : 0.3% Hydroxyquinoline sulfate in a base containing petrolatum, lanolin, cetyl alcohol and purified water.

Any ideas, any info from others with snow loving dogs??

ashtoreth
January 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM
theres a cream you can get, they act like boots

zinc helps a lot too :)

Gail P
January 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM
If you want the protection of booties without holding moisture, go to http://www.sleddogcentral.com and then into SDC Talk (the forums) and do a search for cracked feet/booties/powders/ointments etc. There are many different ideas there on how to protect and heal feet, I know that some mushers will treat all their booties with a powder mixture ahead of time and pack them along ready to use as needed when out on the trail. You should be able to find all the info you need by searching without even having to open a new thread. Some people use commercially prepared ointments/powders, others have their own secret recipes but are sometimes willing to share, and these are people who really know about foot care in dogs that are putting miles on those pads.

dogcatharmony
January 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks Gail for the link!:thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
January 7th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Dch...when hubs got Tegan she came with booties from Seeing Eye. But she always lost them. *S*

Would it be possible to use booties when she is playing outside and put the ointment on when she comes into the house covered over with baby wool or cotton socks to stop the stuff from getting over the floors? I don't know if the socks would stay on her, but it may give the ointment time to soak in more?

We had a hsuky when I was young and he split open his pad and I had to put medication on it and then wrap it with guaze pads to protect the pad. maybe u could try that too?

Debbie

dogcatharmony
January 8th, 2009, 11:30 AM
The vet told me not to cover her feet with anything. I've been putting it on her when she goes to bed, smear her feet up and tell her to stay in bed and she falls asleep. It's the day time application that is making me batty. At 6 in the morning she is up and has things to do. I haven't been letting her stay outside like she wants, which ticks her off. So then she comes in the house and paces, barks at any little noise, whines at the door......just a total handful. And when it comes to 4:30 which is our walking time....well she is just a basketcase. So I do a quick 10min walk (we usually go for an hour and a half) and bring her home and wipe and dry her feet.

Her front feet are awful, the back feet aren't cracked at all, just a little rough around the edges. I picked up some wax from the pet store to use after we get her feet healed up....still have 5 days to go with this ointment. Maybe a bit longer because the day time application is smeared everywhere else but her feet.

Maybe I will have to wear her out a little more in the morning, run her around the back yard where there is no salt or sand and then clean her feet up good and send her for a nap with the ointment on. I'll have to go out and break up a track for her, don't want the snappy snow to cut her feet anymore than it already has.:shrug: Sometimes the vet orders just mystify me....put ointment on feet and keep the dog off feet and inside......that wouldn't even fly with my cats and they nap 20 hours a day...LOL!

Tundra_Queen
January 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Can u call the vet and talk to her about what is happening at home? Maybe she'll tell u it's ok for her to wear socks? Poor pup she just doesn't undersand. :sad:

Gail P
January 8th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Vets are like doctors, if you have doubts it doesn't hurt to seek a second opinion. It sounds to me like she might benefit from wearing booties with a drying powder in them when she's out, so she can get her exercise still, and then the vet's cream when she's in to help heal the paws when she's resting. But, what do I know? I'm not the vet! :p

Smiley14
January 9th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about her feet! That sounds painful! I hope they heal soon!

With mine, I use Muttluks boots when we're going to be outside for extended periods of time and then every night, I rub in a smidgen of paw wax for paw health and protection. I use Musher's Secret (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10119&ref=4173&subref=AA&s_kwcid=TC-2758-178583842021-S-20152513521). It says to use weekly, but I actually put a tiny, tiny bit on each night, sort of like rubbing in lotion every night, LOL! It forms a barrier on the paw though so it both conditions and protects. They don't wear boots as they're coming and going in and out of the doggie door all day, so this keeps their feet safe and healthy. There are a lot of similar paw waxes on the market, but this is the only one I've used. I'm not sure if other brands are better or worse than this brand. But I've had good luck with this one at least!

Oh, the reason I put it on at night is so it can dry while they're sleeping. It dries pretty quickly though. Every night, I cover my bed with a blanket and let them up onto the bed for an hour or two while I'm watching TV and/or reading. They're all snoring around me during this time, so that's when I put it on. It's like a foot massage for them, so they love it. :)

angeldogs
January 9th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Jags feet crack from the sharpe jagged snow and if the city or people put down to much salt it bothers his feet.i use booties or i use sadies best on his paws.i was just given Paws a spray to put on the paws.and my vet recommend i use booties on him.the only thing is the ones i have i find they can come of in deep snow.