Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Liver/organs?

bendyfoot
January 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I've read that of the organ meals, you shouldn't feed liver more than once a week/every 10 days or so. What's the accuracy of this statement, and if it's correct, why? What are good alternatives? Do heart/tongue count as "organ" or are they muscle meat?

luckypenny
January 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I've never heard of feeding it that infrequently. I give ours liver every other day or so. For example, I can feed one dog the equivalent of one chicken over two days. So they'll one chicken liver, one giblet, one heart over those two days. If I feed beef, then not more than 10% is organ meat ie. liver, brain (the teeniest amounts as it's very rich), kidney, sweetbread, etc. I count heart and tongue as muscles although I mix it in with other muscle meat.

pitgrrl
January 6th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I've never fed organ only meals as I'm fairly certain we'd end up with butt-splosion. The ratios I've gone by are 10% organ, aprox. half of which should be liver :shrug:

totallyhip
January 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM
We only feed it once a week if that :rolleyes: I tend to forget sometimes :shrug: but when we feed liver its only in small amounts because too much makes my guys have diaherria. I feed more heart as I find it is more muscle meat than organ. I have never fed tongue. We give kidneys once in a while. But they always get their tripe. We are getting used to the smell and texture now LOL :laughing:

bendyfoot
January 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I can't for the life of me find fresh tripe:frustrated:

I'm going to have to try to hunt down some of those tripe-in-a-can dodads.

OMG, Gracie got tongue last night :yuck::yuck::yuck:, she looooved it. She's so weird, she loves heart and now tongue, but won't touch liver?:confused: Jaida and Heidi slurp up liver like it's candy, and they never get butt-splosions from it either...:laughing:

luckypenny
January 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM
But they always get their tripe. We are getting used to the smell and texture now LOL :laughing:

I can't for the life of me find fresh tripe:frustrated:

That makes two of us. I'm wondering if there's a phone directory for farmers who raise cattle in the surrounding areas cuz I've been unable to find any that aren't just dairy farmers. I'm guessing slaughter houses would be the next step :o.

bendyfoot
January 7th, 2009, 01:33 PM
That's were I'm heading next. There's one near me, but I know the owners just had a house fire and don't know if they're up and running...I'll ask my butcher this weekend if he knows...(gotta love small towns, :laughing:)

totallyhip
January 7th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Yes check out the slaughter houses. We just buy ours from the butcher. He does mostly pet food now. We buy ground beef, chicken and buffalo from him and get our tripe there. Its disgusting but the dogs eat it up like its candy! We do the canned stuff sometimes from the pet store (Tripette) its not as nasty but I think the fresh stuff is alot better. Good luck!:thumbs up

bendyfoot
January 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM
our butcher can't get tripe for some reason, he says it's cause it's not fit for human consumption :shrug:

totallyhip
January 7th, 2009, 02:56 PM
our butcher can't get tripe for some reason, he says it's cause it's not fit for human consumption :shrug:

He would be talking about the Green Tripe. The tripe they sell in grocery stores (the white stuff) is bleached and cleaned so that its more pleasant for humans to eat. But the cleaning takes away the nutrients for the dogs.

bendyfoot
January 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Yeah, well that's what I'm looking for, the green stuff. He could get the bleached kind but I don't see any point feeding that, sooooo...:shrug: