Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The great food debate - Siberian Huskies

Sib.HuskyMom
January 6th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I have 2 siberian husky puppies that are almost 5 months old. They are currently on Royal Canin large breed puppy food, but I'm thinking about switching them. Both boys have super shiny coats, but they frequently have loose stools and gas, and I'm starting to think that perhaps there is something better out there for them.
I am debating on going to either a holistic grain free kibble (like Orijen) or perhaps switching them over to a raw food diet, which seems to be really recommended for huskies.
The problem is, there seems to be so much conflicting info on what a raw food diet should include, that the kibble option just seems much simpler.
But I want to do what's best for my boys.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

BenMax
January 6th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I know of an excellent rescue group that specialize in this breed. If you want I can connect you with them so that you can discuss. Let me know if this would be helpful and I will put you in touch.

Chris21711
January 6th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Regardless of whether you decide to go with a grain free kibble or raw diet, Royal Canin is really not one of the better foods IMO.

AmericanBullMom
January 6th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I am in the same place you are with the Raw diet. I feed Wellness Core Ocean which is grain free, and then give my boys some extras, like chicken necks and backs, and some RMBs that have lots of meat and stringy stuff to chew on!

A store where i got started on raw called The Wholesome Hound will sell you mixed ground meats, and you either supplement with organ meat, or you can spend more money and get the ground meat that has EVERYTHING in it already.

Good Luck and I hope Everything works out for you!

bendyfoot
January 6th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Royal Canin, :yuck:

I totally second (third? fourth?) the raw suggestion. My three dogs have recently made the switch to full time raw and are THRIVING, I can't beleive we didn't try it sooner!

One note about raw and kibble feeding...NEVER feed both at the same time. If you feed twice a day feed the raw and kibble at separate meals. Kibble in the belly interferes with the digestion process for the raw, it's not good.

Also, from what I understand (and what I've observed in my own dogs), it's better to feed whole chunks of meat (like one solid peice) rather than ground or even bite-sized little peices, unless the dog has no teefies :D The act of chewing and gnawing the meat/bones is actually a huge part of the benefit of raw, they get exercise, mental stimulation and it cleans the teeth. I do feed my guys the occasional bit of ground, usually mixed in with a veggie blend to add more meat and palatability, but otherwise avoid it. They'll scarf down ground in five seconds flat, but a good chunk of beef ribs or a turkey wing will keep them happily occupied for up to half an hour! Better than a kong anyday!:D

Sib.HuskyMom
January 10th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks for your thoughts.
At this point, I've begun to switch them over to Orijen puppy food. It's grain free, and also has a few different kinds of fish in it, which I like.
I'll see how they do on that, but I'm still investing on what the best raw diet is for them.

Anyone out there who feeds raw who could share their meal plan?

pitgrrl
January 10th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I think if you're looking to change food immediately you're better off trying a different kibble as to give yourself some time to adequately research raw feeding. There is a lot of info out there, different models of feeding, and of course, each dog is different, so giving yourself ample time to really get a good handle on feeding raw before diving right in, with puppies no less, is probably the best way to go.

TulipRoxy
January 12th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for your thoughts.
At this point, I've begun to switch them over to Orijen puppy food. It's grain free, and also has a few different kinds of fish in it, which I like.
I'll see how they do on that, but I'm still investing on what the best raw diet is for them.

Anyone out there who feeds raw who could share their meal plan?

I remember when I first started raw how overwhelming it was. I researched and read and freaked out about balance and supplements.

Now that I have been doing it for a while I have realized it is simple... the most important thing is that most of the diet should be a variety of raw meaty bones.

If know it helps to see so heres what I "recipe" I follow

60-70% RMBs- ( chicken carcasses, turkey wings, necks, pork riblets, lamb necks etc)
20-30% other- organ meats ( liver or kidney) muscle meat( heart, beef chunks, turkey, chicken) eggs ( a great protein source) fish ( canned mackerel, fresh smelts, canned salmon) or yogurt
10% vege mix ( I use a variety of bright green and bright orange veges)

I supplement with fish body oil when not feeding fish, vitamin E and kelp

Once you get into a routine it takes less than 5 minutes to prepare a meal. Every night I just pull out a pack of RMB's for the next day, and keep a bag of veges open in the fridge.

Here's and e-book I found really interesting. http://leerburg.com/pdf/feedingrawdiet.pdf

And here is a pictiorial I like

http://www.timescapebullterriers.com/diet.html