Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Obama, please rescue

Melinda
January 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM
not sure where to put this, if its not in the right place could you move it mods? thanks.

I received this from North Shore animal rescue this morning

kiara
January 8th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Seems that everyone "in high places" and with money wants purebreed dogs and cats. President Bush, Oprah, the Quenn of England, actors and actresses, etc. It would be good of Obama to start a new trend!! I also think that all the local SPCA's should have an open house once a month and show the public the euthanazia room, I'm sure many people could not handle this reality!!!

JennieV
January 8th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I very much agree with Kiara's post, it is important to make the public aware. :sad: the reality is very very hard to stomach, but it probably would make some people think twice about their pets, breeding them or abandoning them.

BenMax
January 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I agree also - but it's a hard sell to show people what happens. A very sad reality that they pass on their 'dirty' work to those that must bare the scares of seeing animals go down.

joeysmama
January 8th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I saw the President-elect being questioned about this and I believe that their first choice was to go with a mixed breed rescue dog but they were advised to choose a breed that would work with their particular situation. One of their daughters has allergies so they were advised to find a reputable breeder so that they would know exactly what the breed is.

I'm pretty sure Obama is pro rescue.

Melinda
January 8th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I agree totally also except for one thing, the queen has a few mixed breeds on her scottish farm, labX's and sheepdogX, they featured them in "Royal" magazine last fall

LittleMonster
January 28th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Have they gotten one yet? Maybe he will go for a rescue dog after all.

Found this on yahoo:

http://d.yimg.com/ca.yimg.com/p/090123/afp/iphoto_1232737314982-1-0jpg.jpg?x=400&y=262&sig=ceqNDG_40toGIJJ.OrbdgQ--

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/ss/events/us/080318_obama/im:/23012009/24/photo/photos-n-canada-photo-released-winnipeg-humane-society-shows-labradoodle-puppy-offered.html/#photoViewer=/23012009/24/photo/photos-n-canada-photo-released-winnipeg-humane-society-shows-labradoodle-puppy-offered.html

joeysmama
January 28th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Last I heard they are planning on getting settled into their new home and bringing a puppy or dog into the house in the spring. It's so fun to see a young family in the White House so I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of the children with their new addition.

I read an article that said they wre advised to get a poodle cross or a Portugese Water Dog. (And a while back Obama got criticism for saying that their first choice, if the allergies weren't a consideration, would be to get a "mutt like me". I mean honestly, it was tongue in cheek and he was saying it about himself, not someone else. People can be so critical.)

Karin
January 28th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I don't think the dog hunt rates high on their agenda. However it did look good while trying to gain votes.

allymack
January 28th, 2009, 11:57 PM
i read in one of my magazines that they were looking to rescue, it made me so happy, i hope they follow thorugh with it!:dog: