Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help Me Rescue New Pup?

DaisyDuke*
January 6th, 2009, 08:49 AM
After recently losing my 1yr old female Jack Russell pup:cry: I decided to hold off on getting a new pup - no one could ever replace my babygirl. She was a gift from my boyfriend & also my first dog. We decided on a Jack Russell because they are misunderstood dogs and need alot of attention. I myself will admit I was a little overwhelmed, but we loved her unconditionally and I like to think she had a happy life.

I have been so lonely without her in my life that I have decided to start my search for a new pup, I hope to adopt in the Spring as I got my Daisy in the winter and potty training her was a nightmare, also it will give me time to adjust to life without Daisy and get comfortable with the thought of a new dog so I'm not constantly wishing for her to be Daisy.

Here is what I'm looking for:
1. I want a small dog, as it will be an inside pet. I also want to raise it from a pup.
2. It has to be female as we have two males who grew up together and don't do well with other males, but do just fine with females. Also, the female we have is content.
3. Friendly with kids, as I have a 1yr old niece.

I have looked on sites such as "pet finder" but they all seem to come from breeders. I do want a pup but I was hoping for one from a shelter or rescue team so that I can give it a better life from being raised there.

Where should I look, and what types should I look into?

BenMax
January 6th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I do not know your location, but I can tell you with certainty that the shelters do have what you are looking for. I pass by almost every day and you would be surprised what people will give up. From the most gorgeous and original mix breeds as well as purebreds. If you go every day you will see them.

Also, you can pre-apply for what you are looking for with a shelter or rescue group. This is what our MSPCA does if they know for sure that the people requesting are amazing. You can also do so with a rescue group.

Good luck.

Dekka
January 6th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I am pretty sure petfinder only lets rescues and shelters post. I have never seen an ad by a breeder on there.

Have you checked out the JRTRO?
http://www.russellrescue.org/index.php from time to time they have pups.

AmericanBullMom
January 6th, 2009, 10:41 AM
After raising an American Bulldog from 5 1/2 weeks old to a little over a year now, and 80 lbs later, I just dont see the draw for a puppy anymore. They are wonderful, when they are sleeping.
You can get young dogs, 6 months to a year old, that will be just as energetic and sweet as a puppy, but with the added bonus of probably already BEING potty trained. Also with your 1 yr old niece, it may be better to get an older dog since puppies bite and chew. Babies tend to pull on dogs, and an older dog MIGHT be a little more patient with that.
I hope you find what you're looking for, and Thank you for choosing to rescue!

Gail P
January 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I don't know how you got the impression that only/mostly breeders post listings on Petfinder, it's actually all shelters and rescues. Sometimes a courtesy listing will be posted by a rescue for a dog that's not in their care, but it's not for breeders.

When I was first looking to add another puppy to our home I checked Petfinder regularly and actually did find quite a few pups listed. I eventually adopted 2 that were in a shelter. I also discovered Moosonee Puppy Rescue, that lists mainly puppies from far up north where there is no vet care and many are shot or die in snowbanks for lack of care. Apparently there are some teachers and nurses up there that try to get pups sent down to the rescue, and sometimes they're able to get the mom with them as well. They might be mostly larger breeds than you're looking for, but it might be worth checking to see if they have anything smaller. I think a lot of the dogs from up north are husky mixes, but they've also brought pups in from puppy mill raids in Quebec and went down to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and brought up a load of pups that were scheduled for euthanasia (shelters were so overcrowded). If I remember right I think their address is just www.moosoneepuppyrescue.com but if that doesn't work you can look them up on Petfinder.

Also, not sure if you've already done this but on Petfinder you can put in your search criteria. eg. if you're not sure what breed/mix you might like leave that blank but fill in your postal code, the age, sex etc. and it will bring up the listings closest to you first.

DaisyDuke*
January 6th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Thank you for all the wonderful advice. ABM - when I said pup I meant from anywhere to 9 - 10 wks to 18 mo. Sorry I didn't clarify. I wanted a dog with a gentle temperment for my niece because believe it or not our jack russell was the only one that didn't bite, growl, or ssnap at her.

Maybe I took a wrong turn on pet finder then because everything I found was priced between $600.00 to $1400.00. I have clicked on the link provided by Dekka and am on the right track. Thanks all of you

lm9012
January 6th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I also want to commend you for your willingness to rescue. That is soo awesome. So THANK YOU!!

Please know that many shelters and rescue groups have puppies, and you can get purebreds as well as mutts. Especially jacks, you are right, they are misunderstood..so they can end up in shelters. The thing I find the most with the rescue group I work with, is that it is quite common for us to have young dogs (8 mos - 1 year). They start life with no training, sometimes mediocre care, then when the cute puppiness is gone, they are given up. My group rescues from high kill shelters. I fostered for them last year and almost every one of my fosters was that age, I had purebreds and mixes..every single one misunderstood. Some may have been high energy, but mostly just untrained..but within just a few weeks every single one of them adjusted beautifully! I've seen dogs arriving from transport shaggy, unkept, bald patches, terrified..and within a week or two emerse as beautiful, regal looking creatures. All they need is a little TLC.

I would google rescue groups in your area and try to meet them. Petfinder.com is great also, but some rescue groups may not get to post all their dogs all the time, or their posts are too generic to keep your interest and/or don't describe or portray the dog correctly. Plus from my experience, sometimes we get dogs in that never make it online because they need more TLC than normal, and then get adopted before they are posted. Either the foster family falls in love, or a family member/friend gets first dibs, etc.

My group has weekly adoption shows..half the dogs don't make it online with proper bios. It is up to the foster family to update the bios, since they know the pup better than anyone..some may not have a computer, or just not keep up with it. I know it's a constant issue in my group. The bio can make or break a potential adopter's interest..and of course the pic may not do the dog justice.

Check your local petsmarts, pet supply stores. Most of them sponsor rescue groups to have shows there. You can meet the dogs, and often the handler is fostering..so you can get tons of info on the dog before you make a decision. Better yet..since you aren't ready to adopt right now..maybe even volunteer with a rescue/shelter!! you can do something good..while being in a position to get first dibs on a dog you want! My group offers spots such as handling dogs at a show which is just 3 hours of your Saturday..or visiting the dogs at the kennel..you can get your doggie 'fix' while still not having to commit to anything.

Shelters of course are great too! Sometimes no one knows much about the dog so you may not know exactly what you are getting. Now, don't get me wrong..that is fine too! That's how I got mine( a jack russel mix btw..:) )! he had no name, no one knew his age, I knew nothing about his health..regardless I fell in love the second I saw him and he's the best thing that ever happened to me. I've also seen how great it can be to foster and adopt a dog out and be able to run the new 'parents' through all the dog's personality details, daily routine, favorite toys/activities, etc.

Good luck! I am sure you will have no problem finding your pup. Whether you decide on a jack again, or a different breed. Just get out there and meet the dogs..you know what everyone says....The dog picks you, not the other way around!! :D

DaisyDuke*
January 6th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Hah yes, that is amazing advice. I am open to any type of dog and I will know when I see her. Sadly she does have to be a female because of our German Shepards temper with other males.. We have two rescued dogs living in our house now and another one who had already passed. I am not worried about any problems concerning the dog as long as it's not vicious. I only have a part time job and I do my schooling from home so I am able to devote almost all of my time to a new pup and people are always home to help when I'm not. We also have a fenced back yard, kennel in the front and inside kennels. So they can all be seperated. I volunteered at our local SPCA during highschool and will contact them tomorrow when they open. Til then I was looking at BC Pug rescue because I can't find anywhere near my town on Pet Finder.. or my province (BC) So I'm stumped?

Mahealani770
January 6th, 2009, 09:28 PM
We take our furkids to Petco for supplies and things and every weekend they have a shelter out front with tons of puppies and dogs who need adopted. Try the local Petco or Petsmart in your area on Saturdays. Good luck!

DaisyDuke*
January 7th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Thanks but I live in a really small town. All we have is the SPCA and a Total Pet. I was thinking though that I might stop by the Animal Hosptial tomorrow and see if they can help.