Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tragic Loss

gdbrindley
January 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I am a new member here who tragically just lost our 3 year old Golden Retriever a week ago today. We took him into the vet to get neutered and he passed away later that day. In searching the website for answers I happen to come across this website and there was someone who posted something very similar happening to their Siberian Husky a couple of years ago. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of such a thing happening or if they can possibly shed some light on this issue.

badger
January 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM
My deepest sympathies. You must be reeling.
I hope you find some answers here, or some direction.

hazelrunpack
January 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I am so sorry that this happened to your dog, gdbrindley. :grouphug: It is especially tragic when the dog is so young. :sad:

Unfortunately, anesthesia affects some dogs more than others, sometimes with fatal consequences. Some dogs are more sensitive to it than others, but it is very hard to predict which dogs will have problems.

I hope you can find closure with what happened and some peace of mind. :grouphug:

You're in my thoughts.

:candle:

bendyfoot
January 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM
In many of these very sad cases, there was/is an underlying medical condition such as a heart condition that had gone undetected prior to the anaesthetic. Death under anaesthesia for routine procedures does happen but it's very very rare. I'm very sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

BenMax
January 5th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss. As the other posters have said it is very rare but it does happen.

Like any surgery there is always risks. Risks equally exist for animals that are not neutered.

I cannot even imagine how you feel. This is absolutely tragic however rare it may be.

Again, I my condolences.