Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Transitioning from hamburger/rice/veg diet to dry kibble

Milly
January 5th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Hi all,

This is an update on my post below (food for my puppy...sigh). I replied to that thread but I'm not sure it was seen by many and since I have a new question I thought I'd just start a new thread.

I'll paste what I wrote in the previous thread.
Hi there,
Thank you all for your suggestions. After I posted this poor Milly's gas and diarrhea got worse. My god, you wouldn't (or maybe you would!) believe the smell around here! The poor girl. I called the vet and he said it was definitely the food and to give her some boiled rice and hamburger to settle her stomach. We decided to just give her the hamburger/rice/veg combo for a few days while her tummy settled and we decided what food to switch her to (i just couldn't give her any more of the Oven Baked...I couldn't do that to her!).

She is doing very well on this combo by the way.

We went to Global pet food and decided to try Nature's Variety Prairie Beef and Barley. It's a highly rated food and we thought it would be easiest to transition her to that since it's similar to what she's eating now, the hamburger rice combo.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to transition her to this new food? Yesterday I gave her a 1/4 cup of the kibble with her hamburger/rice combo. We feed her twice a day (so she got a total of 1/2 cup kibble yesterday). Nature's Variety's website says she'll need 2 3/4 cup of just kibble per day.

Any ideas would be appreciated! And thanks again for your suggestions. We didn't go with Orijen because, well, it's the most expensive food in the store, and the puppy formula is chicken based and we're wondering if chicken might be the cause of the tummy upset (her other foods were chicken based as well).

Right now I'm just trying to keep her from any gastro discomfort!

Ps. I can't help but add a picture so that you can see my little puppy. She just got spayed, therefore the missing fur. :)

breeze
January 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM
sound like your doing a great job in the transitions :thumbs up
you want to do this slowly so her tummy gets used to the new food.

stay on the 1/4 cup kibble each meal for a couple of days
then increase the kibble by 1/4 cup and reduce the hamburger and rice by 1/4 cup..stay on that for a couple of days
then increase again and reduce the hamburger/rice do this until you reach the amount you are supoose to give her.

hope this helps.

she is beautful !!

DoubleRR
January 5th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Orijen is the most nutient dense food, so it should be the more expensive. My 90 lb dogs eat 3 cups of it a day--any more and they gain too much weight. That means it usually costs the same or less in the long run to feed. Good luck.