Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

old cats unexpected dog

jmalone
January 5th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I am new to this site and need all the help I can get. We have had an abandon border collie mix breed we have been caring for for two weeks. We have attached to her and would love to train her and keep her as part of our family but it is not so easy. We have two children who really want her to stay but we have 3 older cats 15 years who are very much a part of our family. I am a runner so the exercise for the dog has not been an issue. We are crateing her at night as we are unsure of every thing right now. I am worried she will go for one of the cats and could really harm them. Could this ever work? She is wonderful but we believe she is only about a year. She has had separation issues which seem to be getting better. The cats would be the final keep or find a better fit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated regarding the situation. Thank you.

luckypenny
January 5th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Hi jmalone :). Welcome to pets.ca.

Many dogs can be trained to live harmoniously with cats. Here's a good article that may help get you on your way.

http://www.sfspca.org/behavior/dog_library/cat_dog_intros.pdf

Thank you for looking after this pup.

Gail P
January 5th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Some border collies can live harmoniously with cats, some can't. Some can live with cats if managed carefully. I have 8 dogs, 4 of which are border collies. I also have one cat, but he's a barn cat and doesn't live in the house. If the dogs can make him run they love to chase him, but it's for the thrill of the chase, not to actually do him harm. If they find him sleeping in the hay the worst they do is poke him with their noses and bark at him, disturbing his sleep. My old cat Smudge that passed away this summer lived outdoors in the nicer months and indoors in the winter. Her food and litter box were in the basement and unless I was downstairs in my office I kept the basement door closed so that the dogs couldn't bug her. The dogs go downstairs whenever I do and then they'd try to find her but she usually kept herself tucked up someplace cozy and out of their sight/reach.

A really good resource for you (both for more info about border collies and cats and just general info/questions about BC's) can be found here
http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?act=idx

Frenchy
January 5th, 2009, 10:15 PM
but it's for the thrill of the chase, not to actually do him harm.

I agree Gail P.

jmalone , if your cats act hyper and run away from the dog , yes the dog will chase them. Once the cats get used to the dog , and the dog can smell them , she won't run after them anymore ... as long as the cats are not running away from her.