Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My baby's gone for the "operation"

GsdDiamond
July 29th, 2004, 08:12 AM
She looked so sad when I closed the kennel door. :( I had to keep telling myself it's for her best interests.
Her whole routine was thrown off.....no bed-time treats, no breakfast, and to top it all off....mommy goes and leaves her at some strange place. My heart was just breaking!!

I mean....look at that face and tell me you wouldn't be heart-broken when she looks sad!!!!

sammiec
July 29th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Awww, what a sweetie!!! She'll be just fine!!! When I dropped Briggs off to get fixed, I cried!!! She was very happy to see the vet though :confused: SHE LOVES THE VET!!! When she went back for her check up after the surgery he made a comment about how he's never seen a dog so happy to be back right after an operation!!!
Don't worry, she'll forgive you in a heartbeat!!! :p :D

Goldenmom
July 29th, 2004, 08:47 AM
I know how you feel.....

I was a basket case when my girls had to go in. After the first one, I was much better with the next one. Honestly, I was worse off than the girls. They really didn't appear to care.

I didn't like leaving them overnight, but it was for their own sake that they stayed. They are drugged anyway and only sleep.

Everything will be fine.... Let us know when she comes home. I can guarantee that when you see her you will be amazed at how they appear that nothing has even happened.

Heather

sammiec
July 29th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Do many vets encourage that your pets stay overnight when they have surgery? My vet insists that they come home with us after about 5 - 8 hours of observation. Both my kitty and my puppy came home the same night, he said that it's more comfortable for them to be home with loved ones... Just wondering...

GsdDiamond
July 29th, 2004, 09:04 AM
My Vet didn't give me a choice. She's staying overnight, and I have no say.

Besides getting spayed, she's also getting her micro-chip today. Now, even when her tattoo fades we'll have some way of keeping her safe.

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 09:15 AM
She won't just forgive you, she'll think you rescued her! She's so cute! Love her coloring!

Goldenmom
July 29th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Usually females have to stay and males can go home. This is because the females operation is more complex than the males.

It is for the dogs health and safety that they stay overnight where they are crated and quiet. I wanted to go dognap my girls so bad when they were there. I was practically waiting on the doorstep of the vets office the next morning. I am such a worry mom.

Heather

sammiec
July 29th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Usually females have to stay and males can go home. This is because the females operation is more complex than the males.

That's what I would have thought too but my girl came home the day of her surgery...guess it really depends on the doctor's decision.

Lucky Rescue
July 29th, 2004, 09:46 AM
I always hate leaving my pets at the vet too, and cannot concentrate all day until I hear it's all over and they are fine!

Your girl is just gorgeous and you are doing her a favour. She'll be just fine shortly. :)

shan
July 29th, 2004, 10:50 AM
My dog had "the operation" on Tuesday, and by yesterday night (a little over 24 hrs) she was pretty well back to her old self. She felt pretty sorry for herself the first night, but they definitely get better quickly!! I worried a ton as well, but when I went to pick her up the vet assistant said she was just curled in a little ball sleeping, (I picked her up that day). As far as pain goes, she seemed to hurt the most about 10:00 that night (pain meds wore off???) but by morning she didnt seem to be hurting too bad, and it certainly doesnt slow her down anymore! Before you know it your baby will be back to normal. Just know that she wont be hungry or thirsty, at least Annie wasnt for at least 12 hrs, and she may throw up a little from the anesthetic (sp?). Let us know how she does! :) :)

GsdDiamond
July 29th, 2004, 01:07 PM
I just returned a voice-mail from the Vet's office. My little baby is doing just fine! The surgery went without a hitch and she's starting to wake up.

They did start her on a round of antibiotics to clear up some left over "pimples" from her allergy to chicken. (but that's another thread altogether!) The whole clinic is doting over her (they just love her to bits over there!).

The receptionist sounded so pleased that I called back and told her I was "Diamond's Mom" and wanted to hear first hand how things went. She said I could call and ask about Diamond anytime!

Luba
July 29th, 2004, 03:34 PM
I brought Sadie home the same night and she was fine. I NEVER leave my dogs at a vets unless absolutely necessary AND there is an attendant there over night!

Donna Marie
July 29th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Just know you are doing what is best for her.

My cats never had to stay overnight (two were males, one was a female already done when we adopted her) for that type of surgery, but Skittles did once. He had a *gonna cry* chunk of skin ripped out from the bottom of his back. We don't know where he got it, but he did. We spent almost four hundred getting him fixed up. He had stitiches in for about two weeks. What was absolutely devestating was the skin slipped apart two weeks AFTER the stitches were taken out. I was so upset, my husband rushed him to Vancouver SPCA where they told him that he should heal fine again...without stitches! I was pretty mad that that option wasn't given to us at the vet, not only would it save money, but it would also save a month of frustration for Skittles! It's too bad that in a situation like ours we didn't really have time for a second opinion, but whenever I can, I will get one....it's worth the twenty five bucks for a vet check!

GsdDiamond
August 3rd, 2004, 09:42 AM
Diamond is showing no signs that she had a major operation done to her.

Her belly looks wonderful. No redness, seeping, or itchiness. She's all but ignoring it. The only way you can tell she's had major surgury is that she won't jump into the SUV, even though she tries. She sits there and whimpers. So, I pick her up and put her in the back seat, do up her seatbelt and make sure she's set for the drive.

Maybe in a week or so she'll be able to make the jump again.

She's my little trooper!!!!

Princesss04
August 3rd, 2004, 10:16 AM
I am so glad to hear that your baby is doing better. :D She is so pretty! :D

rexdoggieowner
August 3rd, 2004, 11:25 AM
shes so sweet :)

my collie X has to go in to get neutered this month.. eeeee. i'm scared!! any tips

Luba
August 3rd, 2004, 12:41 PM
Males getting neutered is easier then female spay

Just keep him quiet for a couple of days, no running
Anything outside is done on leash with control!!

No other dog play for about a week :D

And I'm so happy Diamond is doing well !

glasslass
August 3rd, 2004, 04:16 PM
I wish people recovered from surgery and injuries as quickly as our pets seem to. It must have something to do with mental attitude. Dogs don't seem to dwell on it and don't feel sorry for themselves. We can learn from them! :D

GsdDiamond
August 4th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Now I know why I joined these forums....not only is it a wealth of information, but the people here are so kind!

Thank you for your lovely thoughts and kind words about Diamond. She's doing just fine and doesn't pay any attention to her healing abdomen.

My partner and I were looking at some picutres of her yesterday, and printed off a "4" group for my desk. One of them is from when she was a tiny little baby. She was so small!!!!! :D

krdahmer
August 5th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Cute story: I took my girls to get "fixed" together, as I thought that it may lessen the strange environment/ not knowing anyone factor. And it seemed to work, they were happy to show off how well behaved they were when I dropped them off and were happy to see us when we picked them up. When we took them back to get the staples out it was a whole nother story though! Our vet office has a female and a male vet, the lady usually does all dog/cat regular visits and the male does exotic animals and surgerys. Well Windy is a little older than Smoke and has always taken on a protector role in the relationship. That day they both sat quietly in the waiting room chair, until Windy heard the Male vet's voice. She started hissing and growling everytime he came closer down the hall. By the time I picked her up to take her in she was ready to fight! Some poor little puppy got a face-full of snarly cat! And ever since she does the same thing just at the sound of that vet's voice. And she is sooooo protective of Smoke now, once I stepped back on Smoke's tail by accident and she cried out, Windy came running and stood right between me and Smoke ready to swat! My husband thought it was hilarious! At least I know who the boss is around here!....Windy!

glasslass
August 5th, 2004, 11:48 AM
That makes me wonder about that male vet! :confused: Maybe he has the scent of some exotic animal on him? Or maybe he did something they didn't like? There's usually a reason. Cute story. :p

r0amy0
October 14th, 2004, 07:01 PM
question-
during spay recovery or down time, how would you do this if you had another dog in the house?(they are both still pups at 5 & 6 months and play rough)

Would separation via barrier/room or crate be the ONLY safe answer for pet owners who work during the day, as we are unable to supervise?
they say about 10 days for full recovery w/ scarring etc..

maybe kennel her for a few days?

dmc123
October 14th, 2004, 07:16 PM
GSD, I know how you feel, been through that with all of mine...but she will be home before you know it....I am sure all will go well. And she will love you all the more for taking care of her!

~~dmc

GsdDiamond
October 14th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Oh my. She's home and completely healed, although she still wants to be picked up to put in the truck! :rolleyes: Not something I really want to do anymore due to her weight. I think, since we last weighed her, she's probably about 55-60 lbs now. She's like her sire...big boned! :D

As far as monitoring two dogs while one is recovering...I'm not quite sure how you would handle it. I know Diamond had to be on a leash for a while (about 2 weeks to make sure the stitches took), so that may be an option for you. But, I think your little ones will know something is different and take things a little slow. Just make sure not to leave them alone, just in case.

Good luck! :D

Beautygirl
October 16th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Beauty gets done the 1st of November. I am very nervous. One question though. Is it okay to take them for a walk after or should they wait awhile? Beauty has this thing about not pooping in the yard so we have to take her for a walk to do it.