Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Toys

Freyja
July 29th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Okay,
so about dog toys. There are a million at the pet stores. Are they pretty individual depending on the dog or can you recommend some over others? BTW, Lindy already has a kong and loves it. The squeeky purple donut,not so much!
Jane

GunnerX
July 29th, 2004, 08:58 AM
When we picked up our puppy from the breeder 2 months ago, she gave us the most unusual toy. A toilet brush head! She just purchased a cheap one from the dollar store and removed the handle. It works quite well. Little Ariel still plays with it to this day when she has gotten bored with her other toys.

sammiec
July 29th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Kongs are the king dog toys!! Briggs has a couple that I fill with yummy treats and hide them throughout our place! Tennis balls, she rips those apart, and rope toys, LOVES them too!
I find the only thing that keeps her occupied for a long period of time is Marrow bones. She goes nuts for those and occupy her for easily 2 -3 hours!!! seriously!!! :p

Goldenmom
July 29th, 2004, 09:39 AM
A couple of our favourite toys as pups was an empty water bottle. The smaller ones are fun, but the bigger ones are even more! They make a lot of noise, which is what pups love. Make sure you take the cap and that little round tab under the cap off, because of potential choking.

We also have a couple treat balls here. You fill the balls with treats (we use cheerios) and the dog pushes the ball around with their nose and are shocked when treats fall out. Keeps them busy for a while.

Nylabones are a must have for any pup owner. They can chew for hours on these, and never get big pieces off of them.

We have to limit our stuffed toys around here. With 3 Goldens they just don't last very long. They become "evil woobies!" and need to be de-stuffed.

Heather

Goldenmom
July 29th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Okay,
so about dog toys. There are a million at the pet stores. Are they pretty individual depending on the dog or can you recommend some over others? BTW, Lindy already has a kong and loves it. The squeeky purple donut,not so much!
Jane

I do many different things with our Kongs. I put some cheerios, or leftover cereal in ours. I then put a bit of peanut butter or cheese whiz on top and freeze it overnight. Because it is frozen, it takes the dog longer to get at the treats.

I also put plain yogurt, or plain oatmeal in them and freeze. Both of these are very healthy for the dog.

Heather

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 10:04 AM
For squeeky toys, the absolute worst are the vinyl ones. They are so easily chewed up and I haven't seen a dog yet that didn't chew them. The latex ones seem to hold up better. My previous poodle knew just how to stick his canine tooth through the hole in the squeeker and kill it. My hubby also became very adept at pushing it back into place. Funny thing is that all the latex toys I ever found were from Lanco, Spain. When we traveled, we'd buy toys to have in boxes we shipped home, as well as in our suitcases. Even the toys purchased in Germany or Japan were all from Lanco Spain!

I've found the best ball is a blue raquetball. They come sealed in a can to retain their fresh bounce. Whenever we had a new unopened can in the closet, our dog knew! He would scratch at the closet door begging for a ball. He could smell them! They have the best bounce and really hold up.

Freyja
July 29th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys!!
I gave Lindy a tennis ball a week or so back and when I came home the other day there were ball guts everywhere!
The trainer recommended getting a piece of fleece, cutting it into strips and braiding it together. Much cheaper than the store bought rag toy! Lindy loves it. It is "our" toy, in that Lindy doesn't know how to play with people the way people want to play so I am teaching her that playing nice is so much better than chewing your people friend.

Cactus Flower
July 29th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Raja has a stuffed rocking horse that is her baby. She grooms it, cleans it bottom....the whole deal. She doesn't tear any of her toys up.

I looked at the price of a Kong here and nearly fainted. Bought a four dollar toy instead, cut holes in each end, inserted treats and.....instant Kong!

Goldenmom
July 29th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Raja has a stuffed rocking horse that is her baby. She grooms it, cleans it bottom....the whole deal. She doesn't tear any of her toys up.

I looked at the price of a Kong here and nearly fainted. Bought a four dollar toy instead, cut holes in each end, inserted treats and.....instant Kong!

I'm not sure what kind of dog you have, however, the kong is THE only toy that is indestructible to big chewers. I'll tell you, for 12.99, I would pay that any day compared to the price of a sofa!

Heather

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 01:31 PM
I have never had a Kong! No experience with one. Now, I'm curious and also thinking it would make a nice gift for my brother's AkitaX.

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 01:34 PM
One of Den-Den's favorite toys is a piece of nylon rope he found in the garage. We tied a knot in it at both ends.

Luba
July 29th, 2004, 04:31 PM
You'd be surprised every dog is different.

Some like balls others don't Some like ropes but you have to be careful they are supervised play with certain toys or they can injest them YIKES!!

Cactus Flower
July 29th, 2004, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure what kind of dog you have, however, the kong is THE only toy that is indestructible to big chewers. I'll tell you, for 12.99, I would pay that any day compared to the price of a sofa!

Heather

She's a Great Dane. She hasn't chewed a single toy, not even to pull the button-eyes out of one (which my previous dogs have always been quick to do). So I guess she's not a "big chewer". She really plays with her toys rather than chewing them. The toys I stuffed are all very hard rubber. She just works on getting the treats out of them, then throws them in the air, playing catch with herself- that's her victory dance, I guess! :D
Kongs here are 18 bucks!

Donna Marie
July 29th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Kongs are the king dog toys!! Briggs has a couple that I fill with yummy treats and hide them throughout our place! Tennis balls, she rips those apart, and rope toys, LOVES them too!
I find the only thing that keeps her occupied for a long period of time is Marrow bones. She goes nuts for those and occupy her for easily 2 -3 hours!!! seriously!!! :p

AND they last for forever! My in laws had a hard time keeping their shep x with toys, but they bought the kong and it has lasted for half a decade! They also fastened a rope to it so it can be used as a fetch toy too (she broke EVERY frisbee she got!). They have kongs for cats too, ya know!

mastifflover
July 29th, 2004, 05:27 PM
There are also these tires that come in 3 different sizes and are very tough and they have a version with a rope thru them. Kongs come in a water version that floats and has a rope already attached. Great toys both of them. My mastiff has yet to break either of them.

Lucky Rescue
July 29th, 2004, 06:10 PM
My Chloe had her Kong confiscated by the Evil Stinkerbell. How humiliating. :(
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/1047157/2044454/42441138.jpg

Goldenmom
July 29th, 2004, 06:40 PM
My Chloe had her Kong confiscated by the Evil Stinkerbell. How humiliating. :(
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/1047157/2044454/42441138.jpg

The cat?? :eek:

Thats hilarious. What did you put in it? Tuna fish?

:) Heather

Luba
July 29th, 2004, 07:38 PM
WTG Stinkerbelle LMAO

lenka_f
August 3rd, 2004, 02:13 PM
I got a kong type toy for my new beagle mostly for crate training and to my big surprise she doesn't know waht to do with it and how to get staff out of it and she gives up right away. here is a silly question? how do you teach a dog to play with kong toy? any ideas?
Thanks
Yelena

Princesss04
August 3rd, 2004, 02:40 PM
When we found our puppy I went out and spent almost $100 on all of his toys and things. And he plays with them but he would rather chew on a shoe (that we do not wear) or his favorite is when Justin comes home from work and takes his shoes and socks off, here he comes out of no where grabs his dirty sock and he is gone. So we chase him down and get it from him. Than one day I was doing laundry (this was when he was really sick with Parvo) and he was laying on the bed next to me and he reached over and grabbed one of my bras and started playing with it. He was so sick and did not want to play with nothing but that so I was like oh well if that makes him happy he can have it. And to this day he carried HIS bra around the house in his mouth. He likes his other toys but that is his favorite. I will be in the kitchen and I will yell I am going to get your bra and he will take off and grab it and run. He does not know what the word sit means yet but he knows what the word bra is. (AVERAGE MAN!!!!! LOL) :D

Bill & Bob
August 3rd, 2004, 02:43 PM
Bob has two very important buddies that he loves dearly. First is a squeeky hot dog with a happy face on it. When I come home from being out he runs back and forth from one end of the apartment to the other with it in his mouth. Very amusing. If I put it in the toy basket, he must have it back right away and takes it to his bed for safe keeping.
His other buddy is something I've had on my bookshelf for years now, and just recently decided to let him have it. It's his new bestest buddy and it's a squeeky RUBBER DUCK! Again, same as the hot dog. Can't let me put it away without taking it back and keeping it safe.

And despite his big jaws and teeth, he never chews on it to the point of scratching the surface. Been almost 8 months now and the squeekers are still intact.

As for Kongs, I don't think you have to do much to teach them to play with it. Drop it on the ground a few times. They bounce all over the place and the dog will usually go nuts for it. Bob didn't care for his right away, but over time it's grown on him. They have different colours to determine the hardness of the rubber and durability. Black is the hardest I think, then red.