Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to Store Leftover Canned?

Smiley14
January 3rd, 2009, 11:28 PM
I have a really stupid question! :) I've never used canned/wet food before, but after much trial and error, it's the only way I can get Jelly to eat enough of her Orijen kibble. She won't eat any people foods, raw, dehydrated raw or freeze dried raw or tripe. Picky puppy! And she won't eat enough kibble to get her daily rations. As I'm trying to fatten her up, I need to get her to eat more and by mixing in a few teaspoons of canned into her kibble, she LOVES it and gobbles it all down. YAY! But as I'm not using a full can each day, what is the proper way to store the leftovers? I know it has to be refrigerated, but can you cover the can and put that in the fridge or does it need to be put in a separate container? I've seen can lids before, but for some reason, I always thought you couldn't put cans in the fridge? Is that true or did I imagine that? It would be easier to cover the can and throw it in the fridge, but obviously won't do that if it's bad. :)

otter
January 3rd, 2009, 11:37 PM
Smiley14, I've heard it's best to transfer the food from the can into a glass or ceramic container (like a bowl) and then cover and put in fridge. Food of any kind should never be stored in a can.

You might find you need to heat up the food a bit (like 5 sec in the microwave) before serving it.. the heating brings out all the smells and will make it extra yummy for Jelly.

Did you try hot water on just the kibbles too... also helps to make food more enticing :thumbs up If you don't like using canned (though I think the bit of variety added by canned is really good), the hot water might do the trick

growler~GateKeeper
January 3rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
When I was feeded canned cat food I would take it out & store it in a glass dish covered in the fridge. Or you can use Ziploc reusable plastic containers (http://i4.peapod.com/c/QE/QEJKZ.jpg). If you aren't using up the canned within 3-4 days you can freeze portions of it then thaw later, those ziploc containers do great in the freezer too. :thumbs up

You could refrigerate in the can providing it's not a pop-top but I still prefer using a different container it's a bit cleaner plus they actually cook the food in the can.

Smiley14
January 4th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Thank you!!!! :)

onster
January 4th, 2009, 02:26 AM
This is interesting!

So why do they sell those can covers? :shrug::frustrated:

I have one of them and just cover the tin and pop in fridge, its all used up in by the next day.

Would you say theres a health risk?

otter
January 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Would you say theres a health risk?

Most cans are lined with BPA (I thinks thats the right chemical stuff) - basically the stuff they were making water and baby bottles out of and have now started to ban.

Cans are stable as long as they aren't exposed to oxygen but once open they can start to oxyidise and nasty stuff can start to leach from the can into your food.

Food left in open cans, particularly those with a high salt or acid content, may break down or corrode the cans internal lining and contaminate the product. To avoid contamination, food handlers should transfer any food left inside an opened can into an approved food grade container

I guess it's a bit controversial... some people find no problem in keeping stuff in cans for a day or two (covered and fridgerated)

Someone on the board either sent me or posted a link about not keeping food in cans... i'm gonna root around and see if I can find it

otter
January 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Here was growlers original post that included some info on the subject
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45118&highlight=storing+food

here's most of it
From http://www.felinecrf.org/nutritional...od_composition

Unfortunately, a recent study, Epidemiologic study of relationships between consumption of commercial canned food and risk of hyperthyroidism in cats (2004) Edinboro CH, Scott-Moncrieff JC, Janovitz E, Thacker HL & Glickman LT Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 224 (6) pp 879-886, indicates that cats who eat tinned food, particularly from pull-ring tins, appear to be at increased risk of developing hyperthyroidism. It is thought that this may be related to the lining used in these tins, bisphenol-A (BPA), a potential endocrine disrupter. It is therefore probably worth trying to feed your cat food from foil pouches or plastic trays rather than from tins. If you do use tins, be sure to store any leftover food in glass containers in the fridge rather than in the tins themselves. The Food Standards Agency has more information on this.
Quote:
Food Standards Agency
http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthissu...ndissues/tins/

Some cans are fully lacquered on the inside to control and reduce tin levels, and allow them to contain acidic foods.

Bisphenol-A is one of a large number of substances that may have the potential to interact with our hormone systems.

These substances are referred to as "endocrine disrupters". Research is still going on to establish whether or not bisphenol-A could have this effect in people. Particular concern has focused on the sex hormones, the female oestrogens and male androgens, because of their important roles in the development of the reproductive system.

Although there is evidence that some wildlife species have been affected by exposure to endocrine disrupters, there is still no conclusive evidence of a link between harmful effects on human reproductive health and exposure to these chemicals.

What you can do
You should not re-use empty cans or tins to cook or store food because this can increase the likelihood of the substances used to make the cans getting into the food.

Once a can is opened and the inside of the can comes into contact with oxygen in the air, corrosion, which is minimal while a can is sealed, becomes more rapid.

Half opened cans of any type of food should not be left in the fridge. It's best to place leftover food in a sealable container that can be stored in the fridge or freezer. This advice does not apply to those foods sold in cans with a re-sealable lid, such as golden syrup or cocoa.

To make sure your canned food is at its best:
- store cans in a cool dry place
- use your oldest cans first
- if a can is bulging or rusting, throw it away
I think this is good information not only for pet food from tins but also people food. It mentions the food is safe inside the sealed cans, just once opened the contents should be stored in glass containers in the fridge.

Helene4
January 9th, 2009, 05:23 PM
This is good information to know! I will store my opened cans in other containers from now on. Smiley14, thanks for asking the question :thumbs up