Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Molly hates our house

otter
January 3rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Poor Molly (10 yr old golden retriever, recently diagnosed with Cancer) is so depressed at home now I don't know what to do with her. It's too damm freezing out to go for much of a walk and I don't know what else to do with her. Today she hadn't eaten anything all day, she would hardly lift her head from her bed... I was really thinking the end must be near :sad: I spent a couple of hours cuddling with her but no change.... then, someone comes to the door and Molly becomes a different dog, all happy, excited and jumping around like a puppy :shrug:
After they leave he eats a bit but eventually goes back to snoozing.

Later in the day I try and get her to go for a walk... hoping it might make her feel better. We get to the end of the drive and have to come back, she's freezing, limping and hardly able to walk.. on the way back to the door she sits by the car. I think maybe she wants to go for a drive so we load up in the car and head off to town. At a stop at the grocery she is up and eager to jump out of the car :confused: We stop at a friends house (with two Chocolate labs that Molly loves) and Molly is like a totally different dog :D She's eating cookies like crazy, playing with all the toys, jumping around with the "boys" (labs) and chipper as ever. OK, i'm trilled she is so happy all of a sudden but where on earth did this dog come from??

Back home, back to moping and sadness.

What can I do to help her be happy in our BORING house??

(today was pretty typical of how things have been lately)

growler~GateKeeper
January 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
poor Molly :grouphug: the only thing coming to mind right now is invite a doggie friend over to stay for a day or two :shrug:

aslan
January 3rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
otter maybe she's picking up on how worried you are and that you're watching her every move. I agree with growler maybe a playdate now and then, i'm sure cabin fever is setting in too. Just so you feel better, my 3 have been pretty mopie on the days it's too cold or snowing to go for walks.

Chaser
January 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
I'm with aslan - I bet Molly is picking up on your feelings. You may very well be more relaxed when you're playing outside or visiting friends....once you get home it's easy to dwell on worries. Seasonal Affective Disorder is often a reality for a lot of people as well.

I think some doggy playdates are a great idea to lift both your spirits and Molly's!

TeriM
January 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
Awww :grouphug:. I think it is probably just that she goes into relaxation mode at home and when she isn't distracted she probably feels her illness more. Kinda like if we are in the hospital and someone comes to visit and we feel better because we are distacted :shrug:.

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
Awww :grouphug:. I think it is probably just that she goes into relaxation mode at home and when she isn't distracted she probably feels her illness more. Kinda like if we are in the hospital and someone comes to visit and we feel better because we are distacted :shrug:.
And dogs are so good at ignoring their ailments when there's something exciting going on!

Will she play Cuz games when she's indoors? Maybe another invasion of the Cuz army, this time indoors, is in order. :D

Tundra_Queen
January 4th, 2009, 03:12 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Molly has cancer, I didn't know that.

Could u maybe throw a bone around the house for her to play with? Tegan and I play fetch with her bone in the house. We don't have much room and hubs is nervous she is gonna break something, but I do it anyways. :) I just ignore hubs. :laughing:

otter
January 4th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Oh my, you guys are probably so right and i've not even noticed it. Life is probably a bit "weird" in the house these days - one i've been home (off work over the holidays) and two, i'm always fussing about my poor girl (both in my head and physically). Maybe I gotta just sit back and relax myself :o

I never though about how different things could be at home than they are "normally" - routine is off, food is different and i'm always stuffing it in her face, she gets woken up all the time for meds, toys are EVERYWHERE and I never go away :laughing:. Visits are definitely distracting from all that ails her. Yup, more visits are in order :thumbs up

Some of the toys have been hidden away as well... hopefully they will regain their allure if there are less around.
I'm putting my worries in a box of chocolates and filing it away for another day (or two or ten):D

Ack, all my extra loving, caring, worrying, toy giving, etc. seems to have gone horribly wrong :frustrated: Now we'll just have to go annoy the neighbors more :p:p

otter
January 4th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Molly has cancer, I didn't know that.

Could u maybe throw a bone around the house for her to play with? Tegan and I play fetch with her bone in the house. We don't have much room and hubs is nervous she is gonna break something, but I do it anyways. :) I just ignore hubs. :laughing:
I got no problem with playing in the house but Molly is the one always afraid she's gonna break something... or have something fall on her :o But you made me think that maybe something that she could chase, that doesn't get thrown up in the air, might be a good idea :thumbs up Maybe shes into cat toys :D

Chris21711
January 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
How about getting Molly a friend Otter, she seems to enjoy the company of other dogs. Just a suggestion :D

Frenchy
January 4th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Or visit your neighbors with Molly ? Is it suppose to get warmer in your area ? :fingerscr

otter
January 4th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Or visit your neighbors with Molly ? Is it suppose to get warmer in your area ? :fingerscr

Visiting will definitely be in the schedule :thumbs up as long as my neighbors put up with us :D

Sigh... no warmth in sight, more snow today (30cm) then freezing cold again (-20) (it's only -10C or so today :goodvibes:). Typical, warmer and snowy, then freezing cold, then snow, then freezing, then snow, then freezing....Winter really is brutal here :wall: and still 4 months to go :yell:

Maybe Molly needs to go with me and visit someone somewhere warm :thumbs up ... it's only a 36 hour drive to Florida :D

otter
January 4th, 2009, 12:10 PM
How about getting Molly a friend Otter, she seems to enjoy the company of other dogs. Just a suggestion :D
Don't think I haven't been thinking about it :cloud9:
Unfortunately, maybe not the best time to be adding to the family :sad::shrug:

Chris21711
January 4th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Don't think I haven't been thinking about it :cloud9:
Unfortunately, maybe not the best time to be adding to the family :sad::shrug:

Maybe you could try on a foster basis and see how it goes. Would also help you take your mind off of the situation that you are now faced with Otter...Like I said just an idea.

At one time we were down to having only one dog, he was elderly, we adopted another and it was heartwarming to see how much it lifted his spirits :cloud9:

ancientgirl
January 5th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Otter, I'm sorry Molly isn't feeling well, and I'm very sorry about her illness. I agree with what the others have said. She likely needs something to distract her, as she's probably is feeling her illness without something to occupy her time. Since it's snowing outside and cold, it's easy to get cabin fever too. Finding some indoor activities for her might help get her a little more active.