Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My attempt @ silk painting

onster
January 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
I was just telling grower over her beautiful glass thingiemabobs (lol I really dont know what theyre called sorry :crazy:) that I basically cant draw. So tracing them sounds ideal...

Tracing is what I do best :D

My mom is very good at silk painting ( I would say excellent but Im biased :laughing:) and so recently Ive decided to try my hand at it, but of course I opted to trace. I find that many people in NA dont know what silk painting is, i guess its more popular in Europe. Jiorjii told me more people know it as Batik :thumbs up

My first one was this kitty cat I did 3-4 yrs ago, very elementary, using only solid colours, but I like its brightness. Its more of a stained glass look. I think Ill turn into a pillow.

This is my work in progress. It doesnt look like much now since its still bone bare. Its also probably gonna be really ugly :sad: because Im trying to learn techniques on it, using different colours in one place thats outlined with the resist/gutta (sort of like the lead in the glass things growler makes). I used clear gutta here..you can see it kinda where its not painted yet - theres a bird and leaves. Ive had a bit of a mishap where water caused some things to run or I didnt put enough gutta, but mom assures me its fixable :shrug:. You have to steam the finished work so that paint wont run when water touches it.

So for anyone who's a bit craft challenged like myself, have a go at silk painting! Bunduk approves :D

growler~GateKeeper
January 3rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
The kitty's cute looks like Bunduk likes it too :D great idea turning it into a pillow :)

The unfinished one looks great so far :thumbs up will be really pretty with those orange-yellow range colours.

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2009, 08:57 PM
I love the kitty, onster, and I'm with growler--the flower is going to be stunning, too! :thumbs I've never tried batik, but I love the finished product. The colors are always so vibrant.

Melanie1010
January 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
I have tried Batik a couple of times before! Its really a skill - all the layers and process of painting one the colours.. The cat is amazing! It looks like a stained glass window! Your next piece is an awesome design- Im sure it will turn out great!

onster
January 3rd, 2009, 09:10 PM
Melanie - I think silk painting is easier than Batik - I think with batik you use wax right? And then you put layers...you can also do layers with Silk but you can make nice pieces without.

Have a go at it again with solid colours like my kitty :thumbs up I did it 3-4 hours from start to finish (I blow dried the resist).

Thanks all, Im trying not to be a little more artistic..i used to love messing with clours and paints when I was a kid but then I guess I got too busy with all the analytical subjects at school.

Melanie1010
January 3rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah Batik is with wax, basically the area where you put the way will either be the colour of the canvas or the colour of the layer of dye.. and then you layer colour and wax and continue the process until its all done. Its hard to make precise pictures I found, and the wax cracks, giving it an vintagey type look. I am going to look into Silk Painting, I had never heard of it until now, even just googling images its a beautiful art! - Thanks for posting!! Learn something new everyday!! I do stained glass panels but I get a bit nervous alone at home grinding glass- i have gotten shards in my eyes before (even with googles and a visor)- Its always interesting to learn new hobbies!

You will have to post progress as it goes along! Its going to be beautiful!

onster
January 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
I'll definately try to get back to it Melanie. I havent touched it for a month :o I is bad. lol.

OOh yes I watched Batik painting videos on youtube, looked harder. With silk theres so many different things you can do, if you add salt or sugar on top of the silk it pulls the dyes into lovely patterns. I found that I only found one place I could get supplies from here though (online). I went to the art store in town and micheals....both no idea what the heck silk painting was.

You have to use ground glass for stained glass?? I thought you just..paint glass. lol sorry, im completely clueless.

Here are 2 of my mom's works ( i posted here before in some thread somewhere, lol). She learned how to do it in Saudi Arabia, from a sudanese woman who learned in France!

This one was HUGE but a cat ran over the table when the dye was open - the bottom left had to have some cosmetic work done, lol. Its a bit too dark there still but I still think its really pretty.

Egyptian Village

glasslass
January 3rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
The "work in progress" is beautiful! The colors really work and it has an oriental feel. The kitty is definitely a stained glass pattern (cute!). I do stained glass too, Melanie. How are you getting those shards? :confused: Is it when you grind the edges? Do your safety glasses wrap around your eyes or are flat? I've done glass almost 30yrs, hence my log-on :D, and have never had that problem. I do know of a glass student years ago who lost vision in one eye because of a glass splinter. It's not pleasant to think about. Back on subject - Onster, how will you display the chrysanthemum when it's done? I've seen hand-painted ties and scarves.

TeriM
January 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
I love the kitty :cloud9: and the flower looks like it will be amazing as well :thumbs up. Your mom does beautiful work :lovestruck:.

onster
January 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM

Glasslass and melanie, you should post pics of your work! Id love to see.

Im not sure what Ill do with this one. I wear head scarves and some people where silk but I need something more rugged :p

I think itll just be art, pillows etc...

onster
January 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
This is a silk cat scarf my mom bought 20+ yrs ago. She used it as a head scarf and gave it to me when my cat obsession came into play, lol.
I couldnt bear to put it on my head tho, so I pinned it on my wall.

I tried looking for similar pieces online (its pierre cardin) but I never found anything. It says its handpainted - now that is talent! :lovestruck:

14+kitties
January 3rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
Very very nice!!

glasslass
January 3rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Beautiful! I'd be afraid that if I wore a scarf like that, I'd get it dirty.

glasslass
January 3rd, 2009, 11:54 PM
You have to use ground glass for stained glass?? I thought you just..paint glass. lol sorry, im completely clueless.

Stained glass involves cutting each individual piece of glass, then joining the pieces together with either a strip of lead came (H shaped) and soldering at the joints, or by running a strip of copper foil around the edge of each piece and then running a bead of solder where the pieces meet. The grinding is to smooth any uneven edges of glass before caming or foiling. Makes for a better fit and prevents slicing fingers while foiling.

meg4050
January 4th, 2009, 12:04 AM
They're all so pretty! I love love love the cat!! :D Kinda looks like Peaches! Good job :thumbs up

onster
January 4th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Beautiful! I'd be afraid that if I wore a scarf like that, I'd get it dirty.

Precisely why I dont wear it :D

Thanks for the stained glass explanation, cool!

hehehehe Meg, looks like peaches?? really?? My lil bro called it an alien :p

I shall call him peaches in honor of peaches ( i tend to name inanimate objects :crazy:)

Melanie1010
January 4th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Wow the two pieces your mom did are beautiful - The time that must of went into those! The cat scarf is amazing too... I can imagine pieces like that would be hard to find! I dont think I would wear it either, its soooo nice! Good luck with your piece, I always found it was better to work on pieces when I wanted to, instead of trying to get them done- they always turn out better even if it takes me a year!

Glasslass.. Its not so much shards as "glass dust" off the grinder. I bought one from the Highschool I went to when I graduated- Im guessing not the best quality and I really should upgrade. I used just googles before that had the side pieces, I was looking down to see better and poof! Now I use sticky googles and a visor! Better safe than sorry until I get a better set up!

angeldogs
January 4th, 2009, 10:28 AM
The 2 piece your mom did are awsome,your kitty is really good and the unfinished piece will be a beautiful piece once it is done.