Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Runt of the litter questions

MommaKat
January 3rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Sparkie is the runt of the litter. I have been doing research and a lot of the stuff I read told me that runts having health problems is a myth. She's going to be getting her second set of shots in a few weeks so I will talk to the Vet about it but I'm not too worried about it. What I am wondering is how can I help her grow big and strong :rolleyes: ? I feed her Orijen puppy (recommended amounts) about 2-3 times a day. DH thinks I should feed her every time the bowl is empty but I think that probably does more harm than good :shrug: .

Any advice or personal experiences with "runts of the litter" would be great. Maybe I'm worrying too much, I just want to give her the best possible start) . I have included pics just because ( btw the date on the first one is messed up) :D :D

1st pic: This is her in comparison to her older brother a few days after they were born :lovestruck: .

2nd pic: This is her at 9 weeks in our home .

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w170/Hunnybobunny/100_0673.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w170/Hunnybobunny/DSCF0359.jpg

Frenchy
January 3rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
I would keep doing what you're doing. Runts can sometimes surprise you by becoming bigger than their littermate :thumbs up

luckypenny
January 3rd, 2009, 06:10 PM
MommaKat, I've had the wonderful experience of caring for several litters and each time, the "runt" caught up to it's siblings. In one particular and extremely difficult case, the runt survived, when her larger and stronger siblings didn't :sad:.

I'm sure in some cases, the smallest and weakest of the litter may have medical problems. As long as your vet tells you your baby girl is as healthy as can be, you really shouldn't be worrying.

Free feeding or not is your choice. But if she's healthy, it's not necessary..that is to say, it won't help her 'grow' any faster.

I vote for more pics of Sparkie :cloud9: :goodvibes:.

growler~GateKeeper
January 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
I've had both a dog and a cat that were runts :D Never had any birth-size related health issues with Nikki :dog: she born to Champion Show parents but was just an inch shorter than breed standard so she was unable to be shown & we bought her as a pet :cloud9:

My Duffy :cat: was also the runt & she's now 17 years old, her having had HyperT is quite common in older cats & her CRF is food recall related, so also no birth-size related health issues :D

MommaKat
January 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks LP, Frenchy and growler . Having a puppy is making me crazy. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and keep an eye out. I worry too much :D :D

lUvMyLaB<3
January 3rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
My experience with runts is only in cats.. but my experience is that the runts are often the strong ones. I have had 2 runts that were much smaller than the sibs, and both times they were the first ones to open their eyes and be the strongest. The first litter was to a mother that died at the vets when they were 6 days old, and that little runt survived even though she was so small without her mother what a fighter! My mom and dad adopted her and she is a lively healthy cat! I know that cats and dogs are different but I just want to set your mind at ease that even though your baby is a runt that she will grow and be perfectly normal! So be careful to not let her talk you into overfeeding her, she really doesn't need any extra.. Take care!

mona_b
January 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Awwww what a sweetie.:lovestruck:

I know many "runts" who grew up healthy and happy.:)

At 9 weeks feeding should be 3-4 times a day...3 times is fine.:)

Breakie lunch and dinner.

Tundra_Queen
January 4th, 2009, 04:07 AM
OH my goodness! She is absolutely adorable!!! WAAAa I want one! :laughing:

Willie, our 6 year old cat was a runt and we almost lost him a couple of times. But he grew up to be a very large framed cat and around 15lbs!

Debbie