Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I got my new years wish

clm
January 2nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
Max, my big stray has been missing the past couple of weeks. I always fear the worst when he disappears. He's never been gone this long before. I took the food out for the other outdoor kitties this morning and he came running across the window sill to me. I was so happy. I went back in and got him his favorite food. He ate and promptly went into the top floor of the cat house. He's lost weight, I don't know if he's been stuck in someones garage or shed while they were on vacation or what he's been up to, but he's back now. :D

Cindy

babymomma
January 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Aww, Glad he is back! You must have been soooo worried! You think it would be possible to keep him indoors?

hazelrunpack
January 2nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
I'm glad he's back, Cindy! :highfive: What a relief. Maybe he went home for the holidays. :cat:

growler~GateKeeper
January 2nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
A happy ending :thumbs up what we all needed :)

clm
January 2nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Aww, Glad he is back! You must have been soooo worried! You think it would be possible to keep him indoors?

I've tried keeping the big guy indoors. He hates it. He turns from a super friendly happy cat into a possessed monster if you don't let him out. He'll attack the other cats and the dogs if he's stressed. He only comes in if he's not feeling well. I let him adopt me on his terms, and while I hate him staying outside, it's what he loves. He's no spring chicken, so I'm hoping old age may bring him in more, but that hasn't been the case so far. Whatever his latest venture has been, it has certainly exhausted him, he's still all curled up in his house. :sleepy: It was so wonderful to hold him again this morning and hear that wonderful purr of his. :lovestruck:

Cindy

14+kitties
January 2nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
You must be in heaven clm. It is so hard to not know where they are all the time. I hate it when the ferals disappear for days at a time. :sad:
I am so happy he came back home. Hopefully he won't disappear for a while now.

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2009, 10:58 PM
Maybe he went home for the holidays. :cat:

:laughing: yes , family pawties :laughing:

I'm glad he's back clm :thumbs up

Love4himies
January 2nd, 2009, 11:09 PM
I am so glad he found his way back.

Back when I was a teenager in Winnipeg a cat adopted us when he was aobut 6 months old. He was an outside mostly kitty who would disappear for weeks at a time, come in the house to recoup, then back out to the streets. He, like your kitty would NEVER be happy being an inside only kitty. We would have preferred it, but we allowed him his freedom because it more about quality of life than quantity.

clm
January 3rd, 2009, 12:52 AM
I am so glad he found his way back.

Back when I was a teenager in Winnipeg a cat adopted us when he was aobut 6 months old. He was an outside mostly kitty who would disappear for weeks at a time, come in the house to recoup, then back out to the streets. He, like your kitty would NEVER be happy being an inside only kitty. We would have preferred it, but we allowed him his freedom because it more about quality of life than quantity.

Absolutely, quality not quantity, although this fellow must be at least 12 or more now, I insanely hope that as he gets older he'll prefer indoors more.
My little Gabby would love to go outside, she was another outdoors stray who found me a few years ago as a kitten. She still bolts out the door if given a chance but stands there sort of stunned so you can nab her before she goes anywhere. :laughing: She's more content indoors than I thought she would be, she just wants to go out and play with the dogs. :rolleyes:
Mookie and Squeak have never been outside and have no desire to do so. Give them a window to sit in and watch the world go by and they're happy.

Cindy

ownedbycats
January 3rd, 2009, 07:39 AM
My cat Dusker :rip: was like that, she was an outdoor cat. She would come inside, and as she got older spent her last two winters completely indoors, but come summer out she would go. You couldn't keep her in, we tried. At one point she put holes in all but one of the upstairs screen windows in her efforts (successful) to escape. Some cats just don't want to be confined. Sometimes you can come up with a compromise (indoor/outdoor), but some just can't be happy inside. Inside is better and safer, and preferable for humans peace of mind, but I understand what you mean when you say quality over quantity.

chico2
January 3rd, 2009, 09:05 AM
clm,thank you for some good news,I think we all needed that today:cat:
Do you have a name for the little guy?
I am sure he was taking a vacation,but the food ust have been lousy,since he lost weight:laughing:
Hope he's not sick:fingerscr

clm
January 3rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
We call him Big Cat, but his official name at the vet is Giant Max. Wherever he was he didn't have food, my 18 pound cat feels more like 10 lbs right now, if that. He just ate again and is back in his house.

Cindy

Tundra_Queen
January 3rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
cindy, I'm so glad he came back!! Has he been fixed? Willie likes to run outside too, but he has to go thru a porch first to get to the outside, so normally we can catch him. If I don't, well I have to spend an hour or so outside trying to coax him back in.

I'm so glad u have a happy ending! :D

clm
January 3rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Yes, he's neutered. I'll feel better once he starts putting on some weight again. I've never seen him so thin.

Cindy

DaisyDuke*
January 6th, 2009, 06:23 AM
At my house we have 52.5 acres of land with nothing on it but tree's and ponds and whatnot, we've never disturbed it. We have two outside cats about 6 yrs old at the time (sisters from the same litter) and one stopped coming home. We assumed the worst - a wild animal had gotten her. We were devastated. Two years later during a horrible thunderstorm we heard a cat crying from a tree in our front yard and to our amazment it was our cat Spook - thin as a rail and full of worms, so we took her to the vet and got her de-wormed and she lazed around the house for about 3 weeks, fattened herself up and took off again.

Longblades
January 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Maybe he needs a good worming? You are lucky he will come right to you. My friend fed one for three years who was too smart to be live-trapped and stayed just out of reach. He barely even let himself be seen when she was outside. When he disappeared she searched high and low but never found him or anyone who knew what happened to him. I agree, quality over quantity, and for some a life of freedom is what they need, more than the health and safety of being indoors.