Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just don't know what to do???

pumpkinandi
January 1st, 2009, 06:24 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!! I am desperate!!!!!!!!!!!!! I brought my dog for overnight boarding and it came home with SO MANY problems. She was perfectly healthy before going in and is an indoor dog only going pee on a pee pee pad. When I went to pick up my chihuahua she was shaking her ears so badly and scratching herself. I didn't want to take her home like this because I also have a cat who is also completely indoors and I did not want her to catch anything. We live on the third floor of an apartment and doesnít mingle with other pets so she couldnít have caught anything that way. I was advised to bring her home and if she was still bad bring her back in a couple of days, which I did because she got MUCH worse. She has white stuff on her fur, some spots more clumpy than others, I notice it on her paws quite a bit although it is everywhere on her body. She has a sore in her ear from scratching so much. Her vaginal area and her bum were very red and swollen. She was wimpering, chewing on her paws and dragging her bum on the floor. I brought her back and the vet gave her a steroid that brought down the swelling and itching for a few days. When lowering the dose of steroids all symptoms reappeared. I put her on advantage multi 10, and now she is on Ivomec also. Still itching and has white stuff on her fur. Some look almost like dandruff and some look a little clear or opaque almost like an egg. My vet told me that no bugs leave eggs on the fur so it couldnít be eggs on her fur? My cat now is shaking her head, itching and I notice white stuff on her fur also.
She has been on so many meds and I have spent so much money and the vet which she satyed at doesnít know whats wrong with her? I feel like I am honestly going to have a nervous breakdown and I just want the same healthy pet I brought in for boarding.
She had no allergies or itching prior to this visit so I donít believe it is that coincidental that all of a sudden the day I pick her up she has all of a sudden developed allegies.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

babymomma
January 1st, 2009, 06:28 PM
Im thinking fleas or ticks. Is your dog spayed?

coppperbelle
January 1st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Could it be canine lice?

EdwinBird
January 1st, 2009, 06:32 PM
You've taken her to the vet, so that is good. However, if the problem is still there and the vet doesn't know what's wrong I'd ask people you know about suggesting a different vet that they respect and take the dog there. I know it's expensive and the fact that you've already taken the dog to vet without much luck does suck. I may be jumping to conclusions here, but if you don't trust your vet then find a new one ASAP.

I know that isn't really all that helpful - sorry. I wish you and your dog the best of luck!

rainbow
January 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM
I would also take her to a different vet. It sounds like either lice or mites to me. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Chaser
January 1st, 2009, 06:43 PM
I would also take her to a different vet. It sounds like either lice or mites to me. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Agreed.

I also think you should be pushing to get some of your money back from the boarding facility. :2cents:

sugarcatmom
January 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM
Still itching and has white stuff on her fur. Some look almost like dandruff and some look a little clear or opaque almost like an egg.

Does the dandruffy stuff appear to move at all? I'm wondering if it's Cheyletiellosis, also known as the Walking Dandruff mite. It's highly contagious (both to other pets and people) and easily transmitted in boarding facilities and shelters. Here is a blurb on it: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cheyletiellosis-in-dogs-walking-dandruff-mite/page1.aspx

pumpkinandi
January 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM

I have taken her to another vet and he didn't know either. He put her on advantage. There are so many different types of bugs it could be that's where I get confused. Mange, Walking Dandruff, Fur Mites, Ear mites,and so on. Is lice the same as one of these because they all have such similar names.

Thanks

pumpkinandi
January 1st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Does the dandruffy stuff appear to move at all? I'm wondering if it's Cheyletiellosis, also known as the Walking Dandruff mite. It's highly contagious (both to other pets and people) and easily transmitted in boarding facilities and shelters. Here is a blurb on it: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cheyletiellosis-in-dogs-walking-dandruff-mite/page1.aspx

Thanks. I thought it might be that to. I think she is being treated for that with the Imovex. Is it also referred to as a fur mite?
There are so many different bugs and sometimes they have the same name. I am SOOO confused and itchy!!