Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

one cat and bringin in another?

curlysue902
January 1st, 2009, 11:12 AM
hi..i have a 2 year old male neutured cat..and my question is..i have an operatunity to get a persian female ..pregnant cat which is 2 years old as well...and was wondering what kind of trouble im gonna be lookin at..like will my cat wanna eat her..or do you think he will just ignore her...really need help in this....whats gonna happen..any help would be greatly appreciated

14+kitties
January 1st, 2009, 11:29 AM
hi..i have a 2 year old male neutured cat..and my question is..i have an operatunity to get a persian female ..pregnant cat which is 2 years old as well...and was wondering what kind of trouble im gonna be lookin at..like will my cat wanna eat her..or do you think he will just ignore her...really need help in this....whats gonna happen..any help would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the forum.
First off......... pregnant? Whole new set of rules!! The pregnant female will need a room of her own before and after the babies are born. The male cat needs to be kept strictly away from her. If not there is a possibility (large) of injuries to the cats. Him because she will be doing anything she can to protect her babies from this intruder. Her because if she is pregnant she really does not need extra stress of a move to a new home and meeting a dominant resident cat. The kittens because males have been known to kill kittens to get to the mom for mating and because moms have been known to kill her offspring to protect herself from danger. If a room of her own is not possible please, for her sake and her babies, pleast do not take this cat.
Having said that....... Ideally the best time to introduce them would be after the babies are weaned and adopted. Assuming you are adopting them out? If you are keeping them.......

Once the babies have reached approx six weeks of age you can start doing a slow introduction to each other. By this point the cats will both know there is another cat in the household so a lot of the sniffing each other/exchanging sleeping beds/exchanging rooms, etc can be eliminated. I would try to put up some sort of a door between them so they can see each other without hurting each other. This can go on until you think they are comfortable seeing each other then you can do a slow intro. Like... 5 min the first time, 20 min, working your way up. Keep in mind as long as the kittens are around Momma is going to be super protective of them and will do anything she has to to look after them.

This is a fantastic site that gives a ton of info on introducing cats. Please read through it. Bookmark it. You will be going back to it time and time again. I sure do even though I have no issues at the moment. It is just really interesting reading.
http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

I am sure others with tons of experience will be here soon to give lots of info as well. :thumbs up

curlysue902
January 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM
thank u for the quick responce...i really would like to get this cat..but i am seriuosly not considering it.....you reply really helped me in makin this decission...

ownedbycats
January 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM
I took in a pregnant female stray, we already had a neutered male tom. During her pregnancy they got along fine ( after a few days of introductions.) After her kittens were born, she would attack him on sight to protect her kittens, so they had to be kept seperate. The kittens were close to ten weeks before DR. Seuss could get close to Misty's kittens without being swatted 100% of the time. (I will note that despite the ferocity of Misty's attecks there was no real harm done to Dr. Seuss-other than his pride-and none of my cats are declawed.)
Now, Suess plays with the one kitten we kept, who is almost 6 months. HE and MIsty are actually sleeping on the same bed again.
Just go slowly, supervise, and be extremely patient.

14+kitties
January 2nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Yes, with extreme patience and care it can be done. I have done it as well. But there is the chance that something can go horribly wrong. It is also imperative for the mom and kitties to have a quiet private place so mom isn't stressed out. This can lead to a stop in milk production which could lead to a whole new set of problems. Along with the other aforementioned problems which "could" happen unless there is a room for momma to be in by herself is it worth the risk? I just feel better safe than sorry.

ownedbycats
January 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Yes, being able to keep the mother cat and kittens separated for the first few weeks is important. Misty and co. ended up with the entire basement. and Misty kept going upstairs and trying to chase Seuss out of the house n an effort to have more room for her kittens!
I just wanted to point out that, if you have the room to separate the cats, you can with care and patience, bring in a pregnant female and have her and the original cat eventually get along.The personalities of the individual cats also needs to be taken into account.
I also want to point out that kittens are fun but they are a lot of work. For the first four weeks, minimum, they won't use the litter box. You have to keep something down to protect the floor and change it twice a day or more (depending on number of kittens). when they get old enough to use a litter box, you will be changing it at least twice a day, or more. Kittens aren't gentle. They will use their claws and teeth on you without hesitation. It takes time, gentleness, and as always patience, to teach them manners. They will also shred anything in reach of claws and teeth while playing. You need to spend time with them every day to socilize them as they get older (this is an esy requirement to fulfill :)), and you also need to find good homes for them. They are a lot of fun, and worth the effort, but you need to make sure you know what you are getting into before you take on a pregnant cat and the resulting kittens.