Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogtown- National Geographic Channel

Melanie1010
January 1st, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hey All!

I've been flipping through the channels today (January 1st)since nothing is open and its -25 degrees out and I have just come across a marathon of a show called "Dogtown" on National Geographic. Its a great show so far in case anyone else is flipping through! They just did an episode on the rehabilitation of the Michael Vicks (:evil:) pitbulls! It was amazing to see how they have transformed and are being rehabilitated to be adopted! The dogs were all so loving and playful and social! It was amazing to see these dogs all get a second chance at a wonderful life!

Great shows so far in case anyone wants to check them out! If ony people who still support BYB's and Puppy Mills would watch this series...Its a real eye opener thats for sure!

chico2
January 1st, 2009, 01:15 PM
Thank's Mel,I am going to check if it's still on:thumbs up

Melanie1010
January 1st, 2009, 01:20 PM
Its an all day marathon! I can see what I will be doing all day!! The episodes are an hour and its hard to turn off! Its amazing what these people do for animals. I checked out their website, they have 250 dogs up for adoption right now.. Hopefully this show helps gets donation and adoptions for them! All the dogs and cats look like such sweethearts!

Tommysmom
January 1st, 2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I've got it on now, I've never watched the show before... it's great! I know what we'll be watching all day, lol.

BusterBoo
January 1st, 2009, 02:03 PM
I've got it on too....don't know how much I can watch...it breaks my heart to see those poor dogs....I know the shelter is helping them, but it is still a heartbreaker....:grouphug:

rainbow
January 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM
:sad: I don't get the NG channel. :yell:

Melanie1010
January 1st, 2009, 02:15 PM
It is heartbreaking, these people are truely champions for the animals.. I wish more people watched this channel and could see these things. Ive watched 3 (this is my forth) episode and it does get hard to watch, its so unfortunate this is the world we live in. I gather it will be a new series on NG and if it can change peoples minds and drive more to rescue and adopt and spay/neuter it will be well worth it! Im telling everyone I know about it!

chico2
January 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
Melanie,i watched it for 3 hours,my TV is NEVER usually on in the daytime.
I actually do not think it's heartbreaking,it's heartbreaking to see some of the dogs in bad shape,but you know they are in a wonderful place.
and yes I bawled my eyes out when the Chow was buried,but I also know,they do not euthanize,unless the animal has no chance of a good life.
I especially love the"Old Friends"where the senior dogs are kept.
The cats are all seperated,ferals in a huge area by themselves and domesticated cats in all shapes and sizes in their own huge area,some with different medical problems,who would have otherwise been killed had it not been for Best Friends.

I knew about Best Friends sanctuary in Utah years ago and have wanted to go there ever since.
You can go on vacation there and help out,at the same time see the beautiful scenery of Utah.
Melanie,thank's for telling us!

I'll be watching it all night:thumbs up

TulipRoxy
January 1st, 2009, 05:00 PM
I just found this show before I read this thread. Its great! I have never heard of the show before.

I'll be flipping between that and animal cops! lol

Melanie1010
January 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM
Chico I have been doing the same, I think im on 5 hours now?? Im hooked! It is really a great show - so different then everything else out there. I think it does a great job showing the process of medical and behaviour rehabilitation. It is very sad to see the state the dogs come in, but the transformation you see is just amazing. I have been browsing their website and the work they do does cross so many various types of animals, dogs, cats, wildlife, farm animals, small animals.. there really is no limits to the creatures they help!

The Chow was so sad. The cemetary was just beautiful too, very moving to see the whole process. Im glad this is going to be a series on NG and not just a one time marathon!

(Just a note to a Mod.. I so posted this in the wrong area of the forums, when someone gets a chance to move it to right place that would be great! Sorry!!!)

chico2
January 2nd, 2009, 07:52 AM
Melanie,I did not know it is coming back as a series,I'll check for it..did you see"Tuffy"the Dalmatian?? What an amazing recovery,after such horrible wounds:thumbs up
No animal will die because of lack of money there,they have MRI's,Ultra-sound machines,X-Rays and everything possible at their disposal.
The pittie-girl Georgia(one of Vick's poor dogs)is such a sweetheart,still trusting:lovestruck:
I wish they had also arrested and jailed the vet,who had all her teeth pulled,so she could not defend herself,probably got paid thousands to keep quiet:evil:

MommaKat
January 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
I watched all of them too. Hubby also watched a bit. The one with the Michael Vick dogs was really sad. It was the only one that I almost turned off because it was too hard to watch. Poor Georgia :sad: . I think they are going to have a real good life now though :thumbs up .

I really like this show , I am hooked too :D There attitude towards the dogs is what really gets me. The show itself I find is really educational and inspiring, there is not a person on there that I don't like (though I do have a couple of favorites already :rolleyes:) . I cried when Wiggles, the little bulldog mix, got adopted. His foster mom was trying not to cry, but she just couldn't help it.

BenMax
January 2nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Watched the show last night and I am hooked. Amazing facility. My heart went out to the chow. Cried at the end (of course). Excellent show of compassion, determination and unconditional love.

babymomma
January 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
OMG, did any of you catch the episode with tuffy? From the dog hoarder? His recovery was so heart warming, but heart breaking as well.

I stayed up until 5:30 this morning watching it:o I was hooked:shrug: Yep, watched it for 10 hours. Straight! lol

BenMax
January 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
OMG, did any of you catch the episode with tuffy? From the dog hoarder? His recovery was so heart warming, but heart breaking as well.

I stayed up until 5:30 this morning watching it:o I was hooked:shrug: Yep, watched it for 10 hours. Straight! lol

I saw it babymomma. I am such a baby watching this. Box of kleenex and a glass of wine. I am a knob.

I wish I could have watched them all but could not. Can you tell me what happened to the black dog that had demodex??

MommaKat
January 2nd, 2009, 12:34 PM

Yes! he was so sweet too! The people who got him were really lucky . I stayed up late too :D:D It's a really good show.

babymomma
January 2nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
I wish I could have watched them all but could not. Can you tell me what happened to the black dog that had demodex??

They treated him and continue to to make him more comfortable. But due to his allergies he will never be "Better". Hes adopted! You can read his blog and catch up!

http://www.bestfriends.org/Dogtown/index.cfm?csid=3081&csii=3083&csit=Set

MommaKat
January 2nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
I saw it babymomma. I am such a baby watching this. Box of kleenex and a glass of wine. I am a knob.

Was that the Pittie named Denzel? I think they got his health back on track. Toward the end of the episode they were training him and trying to get him to do some tricks and get him caught up with the other dogs progression. There is an update of him on NATG website http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/dogtown/3684/Overview#tab-vick-dogs-update

BenMax
January 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Was that the Pittie named Denzel? I think they got his health back on track. Toward the end of the episode they were training him and trying to get him to do some tricks and get him caught up with the other dogs progression. There is an update of him on NATG website http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/dogtown/3684/Overview#tab-vick-dogs-update

No it was a lab X - big boy that a girl saved from a pound. He had no hair left on his body.

MommaKat
January 2nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Ohh yeh! He got adopted with a family that could handle his condition like what Babymomma said. He was such a sweetie, I'm glad he got a home.

BenMax
January 2nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Ah - his name is Porto and yes there was a happy ending...yay! Woops - thanks Babymomma.

chico2
January 2nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
I have always been a huge fan of The Best Friends Sanctuary,their staff is 100% devoted to the animals and what a great place to work in.
I remember when the were looking for dogs after Katrina,it's just a wonderful organization:thumbs up
Hopefully one day they'll show all the cats,their facilities are like I could imagine the Rainbow Bridge to be:cat:

Ford Girl
January 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
I watched hours and hours of it too, such an amazing place!!!

Melanie1010
January 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
Its starting as a regular series beginning January 10th!! Horray!!:highfive:

angeldogs
January 2nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
I don't get the channel with my programing:sad:so i couldn't watch it.

Ford Girl
January 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
Ive seena few of those episodes before, good to know it will be a regular show. They had a ceaser marathon the other day too, I could watch him for days.

I love this channel, its worth the extra $$ for.

chico2
January 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
I am for sure a great fan,one day before I get too old,we will go and visit them:thumbs up
(A promise hubby made:laughing:)

chico2
January 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM
"Dog Town"will have a new show this Saturday,forgot what time:confused: