Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog food for lossing weight.

angeldogs
January 1st, 2009, 02:06 AM
I'm looking for some suggestions on a dog food for weight loss that doesn't cost a whole lot of $$.my mom is on a low income and Sheba and Mo need to lose weight.the vet has Sheba on medical's fibre formula.Mo is on it too as she feeds them both the same kind of food.any ideas i could pass along would be great.

Thanks.

clm
January 1st, 2009, 07:37 AM
Most senior foods are calorie reduced. Orijen makes a wonderful senior food, but it's a little pricey. Any chance of getting the dogs more exercise to get their weight down?

Cindy

rainbow
January 1st, 2009, 02:00 PM
I agree .....a high protein diet and lots of exercise is the best way to help a dog to lose weight. I would definitely not feed the medi-cal high fibre food.

rainbow
January 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM
How old are Sheba and Mo?

Melanie1010
January 1st, 2009, 02:20 PM
With a better quality food, even though it is more expensive, I found I do feed less since there are no fillers and better nutritional value. I found when I switched Nitro to high quality food, his overall health improved too. We were training for Flyball so I needed to get him to lose 5-7 pounds. I reduced his food intake slightly and split his meals into smaller, more frequent feedings and really increased his exercise. Its hard in the winter months, but even small things, like going up and down the stairs for 10-15 minutes twice a day or a good game of Find It can help a small dog begin to lose weight! Good luck!

Chris21711
January 1st, 2009, 02:26 PM
I don't think that there would be much difference in the price of Medi-cal and Orijen or any other grain-free kibble :shrug:

angeldogs
January 1st, 2009, 02:31 PM
How old are Sheba and Mo?

Sheba will be 10 in may and Mo is going on 7 or 8.they get 1 walk a day.it's hard for my mom due to health problems and can't walk to far as the padding on the bottom of her feet is gone.when she walks it's like she is walk directly on the bone.and i can't get over there everyday when i get back to work starting Mon to help walk them.

They were on the med-cal wet and were losing weight on it.but it's $30 for 12 cans.my main concern is finding something that is a better price and isn't medi-cal.

angeldogs
January 1st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Most senior foods are calorie reduced. Orijen makes a wonderful senior food, but it's a little pricey. Any chance of getting the dogs more exercise to get their weight down?

Cindy

We won't feed Orijin around here.it's a little pricey.and jag had a real bad allergy to it.and my bro's dog his fur started to fall out in patches the short time he was on it so my won't feed it.thanks for the suggestion though.

rainbow
January 1st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Do Sheba and Mo play together? Can your mom throw a ball for them to run a bit? What about going for two or three shorter walks?

And I think a grain free kibble would be much cheaper than paying $30 for twelve cans of gerbage.

rainbow
January 1st, 2009, 02:40 PM
We won't feed Orijin around here.it's a little pricey.and jag had a real bad allergy to it.and my bro's dog his fur started to fall out in patches the short time he was on it so my won't feed it.thanks for the suggestion though.

What about EVO? Or Go Natural Grain Free?

angeldogs
January 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM
Do Sheba and Mo play together? Can your mom throw a ball for them to run a bit? What about going for two or three shorter walks?

And I think a grain free kibble would be much cheaper than paying $30 for twelve cans of gerbage.

Yes i agree about the kibble being grain free.
They play together ever once in a blue moon but the play is short lived.Mo plays with his cuz and a rabbit stuffie which gets thrown for him inside.Sheba has no interest in toys never really has even as a pup.

rainbow
January 1st, 2009, 02:44 PM
The dogaware website has some great information on feeding overweight/senior dogs......scroll down about an inch or so and click on the blue highlighted info as well.

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

angeldogs
January 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM
What about EVO? Or Go Natural Grain Free?

I will mention to her about the Go Natural for sure.

angeldogs
January 1st, 2009, 02:46 PM
The dogaware website has some great information on feeding overweight/senior dogs......scroll down about an inch or so and click on the blue highlighted info as well.

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

Thanks rainbow for the link.i will check it out.

Chaser
January 1st, 2009, 07:09 PM
I agree that grain-free is the best choice, but if funds are really limited my next choice would be either Acana's Light & Fit or Acana Senior. Both would help with weight loss and are a good price for a food that is IMO still high quality. :)

http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/products.php

Wellness' Healthy Weight or Just for Seniors would be my next choice. I do think grain-free is a better way to lose weight than weight-control foods, but these at least have higher quality ingredients than the Medical.

angeldogs
January 1st, 2009, 10:47 PM
I agree that grain-free is the best choice, but if funds are really limited my next choice would be either Acana's Light & Fit or Acana Senior. Both would help with weight loss and are a good price for a food that is IMO still high quality. :)

http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/products.php

Wellness' Healthy Weight or Just for Seniors would be my next choice. I do think grain-free is a better way to lose weight than weight-control foods, but these at least have higher quality ingredients than the Medical.

I will have to look into that one as well.i've seen it on the shelves and was thinking of switching Jag to that one a was told it was made by Orijin so i didn't switch to it.