Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog's tummy after spayed

htsource
December 31st, 2008, 10:44 PM
My dog had her spay surgery done on Monday, now I looked at her tummy and found this red spot, is this normal? I hope she's not bleeding internally.

Appreciate your inputs.

luckypenny
December 31st, 2008, 10:49 PM
Did that just appear or has it been there for a while?

It can just be a bruise which is sometimes normal. Keep a close eye on it and report any changes to your vet.

ETA: how is her behavior? Is she eating and eliminating as usual?

htsource
December 31st, 2008, 10:53 PM
Thank you luckypenny for your quick response, I believe this is new as I don't think we saw that when we picked her up on Monday.

She is drinking, eating and eliminating as usual. Although she hasn't been eating a lot since she got home, it might be because of her cone around her neck, we basically feed her and she will eat that way.

Thanks for your help, happy new year!

14+kitties
December 31st, 2008, 10:55 PM
A few of my kitties that I had done had the same spot on them. They all healed with no problem. As LP says, just keep an eye on it and your dog's habits.

htsource
December 31st, 2008, 10:58 PM
Thank you, now I feel better. I was so worried she might have an infection or something. Will keep an eye on her.

What's consider getting worse, the red spot gets bigger or more red? Should the red be faded if all goes well? Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks again.

14+kitties
December 31st, 2008, 11:01 PM
In a day or two it should be almost gone. It will fade out and get smaller. If not get in touch with your vet and I am sure he/she will reassure you or have you bring the dog in for a quick check up. It will set your mind at ease I am sure.

htsource
December 31st, 2008, 11:03 PM
Okay, I've sent the same picture to my vet, but I'm not sure when I'll get a response. Thank you so much for all the help, it's been very helpful.

14+kitties
December 31st, 2008, 11:06 PM
:thumbs up Happy New Year. Now we need to see the whole dog, not just the belly. :D

luckypenny
December 31st, 2008, 11:10 PM
:thumbs up Happy New Year. Now we need to see the whole dog, not just the belly. :D

Yep, I agree :thumbs up. I wanna see who the tummy belongs to :yell:.

Happy New Year htsource :goodvibes:.

htsource
December 31st, 2008, 11:13 PM
Happy new year, I totally agree about some pics of my baby. Took a few this month, enjoy. She's 6 months old.

angeldogs
December 31st, 2008, 11:14 PM
Okay, I've sent the same picture to my vet, but I'm not sure when I'll get a response. Thank you so much for all the help, it's been very helpful.

With any luck you will here from the quickly and they say it's normal tohelp ease your worrying.
Yes i agree pics of the whole pup would be good.

Happy New Year htsource

luckypenny
December 31st, 2008, 11:14 PM
She's beautiful :cloud9:.

angeldogs
December 31st, 2008, 11:16 PM
What a gorgeous girl you have:lovestruck:.and she seems to like posing for the camera.

htsource
December 31st, 2008, 11:18 PM
Happy new year everyone, one thing I need to get better is to teach her not to chew on the furniture! We have used bitter spray but she always find spots to chew where there's no spray :wall:

hazelrunpack
December 31st, 2008, 11:21 PM
She's a cutie for sure, htsource :flirt:

14+kitties
December 31st, 2008, 11:21 PM
Awww, so sweet!! How could that face possibly belong to a furniture chewer? :rolleyes: :cloud9:

htsource
December 31st, 2008, 11:22 PM
She likes the shutter sound of the camera and her face will automatically turn in front of the camera. I'll be taking a lot of pics for sure. She's spoiled :thumbs up

Thanks for your comments.

htsource
December 31st, 2008, 11:24 PM
All the other dogs we had in the past, they never chewed on furniture. When they were small they might chew slippers left on the floor but that's about it.

She has a few toys to keep busy but I guess she may get bored too easy.

luckypenny
December 31st, 2008, 11:26 PM
Does she get up on to the furniture and then start chewing?

14+kitties
December 31st, 2008, 11:27 PM
I am sure some doggie members will be along soon to give you some advice on that. I have not had any dogs that have chewed. Now cats.......... :laughing:

htsource
December 31st, 2008, 11:31 PM
Also any recommendations for dog food? So far we're feeding her Nutrience baby food. I was told there are better brands available. As for her treats, I only give her "Natural Choice", ones with real fruit smell such as apple. It smells so fresh I almost wanted to try one out :rolleyes:

luckypenny
December 31st, 2008, 11:35 PM
I prefer to feed our pups Orijen http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/ . I haven't had one who didn't do amazingly well on it. No fillers, no grain, no junk. You might want to check out the food forum here.

htsource
December 31st, 2008, 11:38 PM
She stays in the kitchen a lot and so far we're putting boxes around furniture so at worst, she can only chew on cardboxes! We also sprayed the boxes too, but now she found things like the wood trims around windows. And in this case, she would stand up by the window and chew the trim corners.

The worst part is though, if I caught her and yelled at her, she would actually fight back by barking. If I say a word, she would bark once, and if I say something again, she would bark again. It's like arguing although in 2 different languages :)

luckypenny
December 31st, 2008, 11:43 PM
Sounds like she needs a bit of exercise to tire her out. She'll be too busy napping rather than arguing :laughing:.

As for furniture, you might want to invest in a couple of rolls of aluminum foil. You can just lay a sheet down over the couches. For one reason or another, dogs don't go near it.

Frenchy
December 31st, 2008, 11:52 PM
but now she found things like the wood trims around windows. And in this case, she would stand up by the window and chew the trim corners.

ahhh she's too cute ! One Fosterss of mine got those red spots too once , from too much excitement , instead of rest , after a spay. It goes away by it's own.

One of my dogs also looooves wood trims around windows .... and she's a great dane ! :eek: big dog , big mouth , big damages :laughing: I spread Tobasco sauce all around the windows :D

Love4himies
January 1st, 2009, 08:20 AM
Her incision looks good, no sign of swelling, excessive redness or ozzing :thumbs up

She a is beautiful girl :lovestruck:

htsource
January 1st, 2009, 09:05 AM
Thank you for all the kind words, she's more active today, still not quite eating on her own - have to feed her to her mouth. I noticed she's using her feet to scratch the red spot since she can't lick with her mouth (she's wearing a cone).

ancientgirl
January 1st, 2009, 10:52 AM
Lots of advice already given so I'll just tell you what a gorgeous girl you have! I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of her. :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
January 1st, 2009, 03:29 PM
Thank you for all the kind words, she's more active today, still not quite eating on her own - have to feed her to her mouth. I noticed she's using her feet to scratch the red spot since she can't lick with her mouth (she's wearing a cone).

If you can find a kids t-shirt--just slightly large for her--that'll help with the scratching. Put it on her and tie the bottom of the shirt snuggly but not too firm around her belly. If you need to, use a diaper pin (not a regular safety pin which might open up) to secure the not. She'll still be able to pee, but it will be harder for her to scratch. Leave the cone on, since she'll be able to get past the shirt easily with her mouth.

Then pray she's a fast healer so you can get both the cone and the shirt off her as soon as possible :D

:goodvibes:

htsource
January 1st, 2009, 10:01 PM
Thank you, I'll try to warp around her in a t-shirt, that's a great idea. I just checked her red scar, it seems to have grown a bit bigger than what it was yesterday, but it could just be the way she was laying down. But the edge does seem to be fading, although it's still pretty red.

Checked her nose, it's dry! I was told a healthy dog should always have a wet nose? She's eating on her own today, which is good and all seems normal. She's probably okay but the red spot makes me worry.

Tundra_Queen
January 1st, 2009, 11:40 PM
She is so pretty!! Sounds like she's quite spunky though if she likes to argue! :laughing::laughing:

I hope the spot goes away soon.

Debbie

htsource
January 8th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Just wanted to post back Bebe is doing fine, took her cone off and she's as crazy as she always been :) Thanks for all the supportive help.

hazelrunpack
January 8th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Great news, htsource! :highfive: Thank you for the update!

Did that spot finally fade away?

htsource
January 11th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Yes it did fade away.