Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any ideas on how to create a "lost/found registry", even if only by Province?

diandpat
December 30th, 2008, 12:36 PM
This morning we had a case of a beautiful old Golden who had ended up at the pound and scheduled to be euthanized except he was luckily accepted into a rescue.

Because of the extra efforts of the foster Mum, the rescued dog was determined to be a lost dog from far away and the owner was contacted and they were reunited...yeah...Happy Ending :thumbs up

Unfortunately, this could have gone another way...how sad for the 13 yr old dog and the family that was missing him. :sad:

Does anyone have any ideas how we could make ONE registry where people/pounds/rescues could post lost/found dogs where everyone would know to look...even if just by province/state?

It seems to be we have members here who have moved heaven and earth to find their missing furbabies and yet are still missing them. :sad: They have not fallen off the face of the earth but no one can find them :shrug:

Any thoughts/ideas how to get such an idea rolling?

There must be a way!

shirley1011
December 30th, 2008, 02:35 PM
There must be some way for animal control to contribute to www.petharbor.com There are some there from the US and some from Ontario.
I don't know how we can find out how to get others to use it but it is so helpful..you can go in and see "who" is there.
Perhaps someone can suggest something else.
I would be willing to volunteer some time to contact animal controls to help make finding lost pets more accessible.

hezbglad
December 30th, 2008, 07:08 PM
i have no brilliant ideas, but count me in to do anything i can if anybody else has any ideas!

NoahGrey
December 31st, 2008, 10:43 AM
petfinder has a lost/found section on their site.

ACO22

BenMax
December 31st, 2008, 10:46 AM

ACO22

Indeed! Also, micro-chipping is equally another measure to assist animal control, shelters, vet clinics and rescues. If micro chipping was mandatory then there would be less room for 'error'.

Winston
December 31st, 2008, 11:00 AM
I think the biggest hurdle you will find is if it is an electronic registry it has to be maintained. Trying to get that to happen could be an enormous responsibility. If it were a law or something then you know there is some responsibility with the maintenance of it??

I like many of you began thinking of this way back a few years ago when dogs were going missing and there was really no where to turn too! Shirley1011 I remember your valiant efforts to find your pupper! and SIL and many others!

Searching the web was almost futile! Microchipping is a great solution but for people like me that dont know alot about it can all chips be read by the same machine? Like if I lost a dog in Ontario and it ended up in Quebec could any vet read the chip? Cause if thats not the case then chipping might not always work?

Cindy

diandpat
December 31st, 2008, 11:06 AM

ACO22

I know that...LOT'S of sites have a lost/found section. The problem is there are too many places to look and you gotta hope that you are looking at the right spot.

I am talking about ONE central place where EVERYONE would know to go to, be it petfinder or somewhere else.

It is like in the "old days" when police dept all had SEPARATE databanks for missing children...it was easy to overlook because the right hand never knew what the left was doing.

As someone who seems to always be picking up strays, I have to post in about five different places in hopes that someone is looking in the same place. Many people have no clue where to even start looking :frustrated:

BenMax, the microchiping is another great idea but will only be effective when all the vets have access to the proper scanners. Depending what company you got your chip from, if the vet doesn't have that scanner it can't read the chip. Don't know if that has changed but is used to be the case.

ACO, you work in animal control...I am sure you hear LOTS of stories from people who have lost/found dogs. What do you think would make it easier on EVERYONE?????

diandpat
December 31st, 2008, 11:08 AM
LOL, Cindy, we were writing the same thing at the same time...great minds!!!!;)

Winston
December 31st, 2008, 11:11 AM
Very valid points. I am wondering if the logical place to look would be like this:

It has to be simple..not 50 places to look at or report too!

Sort of like this?

In Ontario look at the OSPCA...I dont know if they have alost and found section?

In USA would it would the ASPCA? with a breakdown of cities and states?

Does Quebec have something similiar like a QSPCA?

Just some thoughts?

I agree maybe ACO22 will have some ideas to look at?

Cindy

coppperbelle
January 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM
I think this is an excellent idea but I think the responsibilty would have to be that of the shelter where the animal was turned in to list the dog on a data base.
While Petfinders has a section for lost/found animals it is not well known. I don't think it is available in French either.
While micro-chipping could help, it is not ideal. Not all chips can be read by all scanners, not all shelters, vet offices etc.. have scanners and the chips often move or stop working altogether. Collars with id tags work but they too are not fool proof. In the case of the dog I had last week he was wearing a blue collar with id tags when he went missing. When the shelter got him he had on a brown leather collar with no id tags.
Hopefully this case was an isolated one. I spoke to someone at the shelter where the dog I had was surrendered and they are going to look at changing things so that this doesn't happen again.

rainbow
January 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM
I did a google search and found this site.....

http://www.canadastrays.com/default.asp

Chris21711
January 1st, 2009, 06:27 PM
I did a google search and found this site.....

http://www.canadastrays.com/default.asp

That's a good site Rainbow, but not too many people are aware of it, when you think of how many pets that go missing, not very many get listed on all the different sites.

SPCA's here in Ontario - some do have it linked with Petfinder but it is upto to each branch to use it if they wish. I know in York Region when they first started doing animal control for a couple of the local towns they started listing them on Petfinder, then that dropped off, nobody bothered keeping it upto date.

If the OSPCA in particular in this province mandated their branches that handle animal control to use a lost pet registry, that could be one step forward.

Ideally - one pet registry nationwide. It's a matter of getting everyone to jump on board.

rainbow
January 1st, 2009, 06:33 PM
Ideally - one pet registry nationwide. It's a matter of getting everyone to jump on board.

That is exactly what is needed. :thumbs up

I had another look at the site I posted and I really like the way it is set up. I wonder if we all contacted our respective SPCA's asking them to promote that website if it would help? :shrug:

Chris21711
January 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
That is exactly what is needed. :thumbs up

I had another look at the site I posted and I really like the way it is set up. I wonder if we all contacted our respective SPCA's asking them to promote that website if it would help? :shrug:

It is nicely laid out. Just trying to get everyone on board is difficult though. In York Region, Ethel set it up initially and kept it going for a while, but then nobody else took over doing it and that is where it stands. The shelters are grossly understaffed and some of them are cutting back to save costs as donations are down.

That being said, Animal Control Contracts are a source of income for the shelters and if the Municipalities wrote into their contract that they required all strays found be listed on a lost pet registry, they then would have to comply.

shirley1011
January 1st, 2009, 08:30 PM
I have found canadastrays to be a great source for private losts and founds by province but I have not noticed any shelters or animal controls posting there.
I really like the petharbor.com site. You can check wherever and it shows the dogs that have been picked up almost hour by hour.
I know that it takes time to post the dogs when they come in but it would make finding your lost pet so much easier and they wouldn't have all the calls...it would be a win/win for both owners and animal control. I noticed petharbor is supported by a particular software which is obviously the stumpling point $$$$.
I will send them an email and see what I can find out....

diandpat
January 1st, 2009, 08:56 PM
Shirley that would be great. I think you are the one who actually steered me to Canadastrays a few years ago when I had found a cat.

I like that site a lot...very user friendly and very well organized.

If we could have one registry like that that everyone used to post lost/found animals I can't help but feel we would have so many more success stories :goodvibes: