Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Have you ever heard of this?

pugsly
December 29th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Hey, this is my 1st time on here. I have a 6yr old pug named Josey, that I got from a lady that had bred her. She said the male she had died and wanted 2 get rid of my josey so I took her. She said she thought she might have gotten pregnant by a Scotty dog but wasn't sure. Anyways, i took her n and she has been acting fine until just a lil'bit ago I heard her chewying up something and she was under the table eating a baby pup. At first i didn't know what had happened then my husband said he saw another one come out and she ate it . It scared me !!!!! I don't know much about the breeding part, I just took her 2 give her a place 2 rest!!! I was fixing 2 take her 2 have her fixed. I didn't expect this. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I am just guessing that something was wrong with the babies, cuz I know she has had pups b4.

JennieV
December 29th, 2008, 11:47 PM
:eek: wow! I never heard of that...But I have one question, why didn't you take her to be checked when you got her? Especially since the previous owner said that she may be pregnant? I hope that you have contacted the vet now?? There could be more pups, she needs to see a vet!

joeysmama
December 30th, 2008, 07:11 AM
It sounds as though the OP was going to take her in but the pups came soon after she got the dog? She doesn't say how long they've had her but it doesn't sound as though it's been very long.

Pugsly, I'm assuming you've called the vet by now. I'm sure they'll want to see her and you can probably go ahead and schedule the spay while you're there. Hope you'll give us an update after that. Good luck !!

rhartjr
December 30th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Not as uncommon as you may think with dogs or cats. It is a really freaky experience the first time one sees it. I've heard a dozen different reasons for it.

flipgirl4
December 31st, 2008, 12:25 AM
I've read that sometimes the mother doesn't recognize the pups as her own so she kills them. Other reasons I've read are that she knows a pup is sick or has a defect of some kind so she kills that pup. Like the previous poster said, it could be a number of reasons. Hopefully the vet will be able to help you.

t.pettet
January 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Very stressed, anxious dogs have been known to do this.