Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat was on fire yesterday! But luckily, he wasn't burned.

Joeyjoejoe
December 29th, 2008, 02:27 PM
So yesterday, I had a family gathering at my place.

I set up two tables and one of my cousins in attendance lit up the tea lights and put it on the table. It was an Ikea tea light holder that holds 7 lights. The cats (Kyuubi and Azrael) were locked in the bedroom, so they wouldn't jump on the tables.

After the dinner, I put away one of the tables and someone moved the tea lights to an end table (I didn't know that this happened). Now that the dinner was over, I freed the cats from their confinement.

An few moments later, Kyuubi (medium hair, but his tail is extra puffy) jumped on the side table to investigate the dessert that someone left on the table, but his tail went over the lights. His tail quickly burst into flames! My cousin's wife shrieked and some of them were trying to put him out. I was at the other end of the room, but when I saw what was happening, I ran over and pushed everyone out of the way. I smothered him to put out the rest of the fire. I took him to the sink to brush off the burnt hair and see if he was burned. To my surprise, he was completely fine! The hair burned quickly, but didn't actually reach his tail. I don't even think he felt the heat of the fire. He never made a sound while he was on fire. Kyuubi was wide-eyed wondering what all the fuss was. But eventually, went back to investigate the dessert.

My cousins thought I was mad at them for leaving the candles out, but I was more relieved than anything else. If anything I was mad at myself! I should have known better. I should have made sure that the candles where out before letting the cats out. So lesson learned! Never leave open flames anywhere when the cats are around. I'll probably never even use those tea lights ever again.

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2008, 02:49 PM
OMG, thank goodness he was okay!

I know you must have been just horrified. The good thing is everyone immediately went into save the kitty mode and often times quick thinking is what saves the day!

I used to leave candles out, but when I did that, I'd make sure to keep them high and never have Vlad and Oksana out of my sight. It's harder now with 5 so I never burn candles. I've been thinking of looking into those flameless ones though. You get the look of a candle but no fire.:thumbs up

:grouphug:

clm
December 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Thank goodness your cat is okay. Cats and candles don't mix. Invest in the flameless ones. You can get them in tea lights as well.

Cindy

onster
December 29th, 2008, 03:02 PM
woah....

Thank God nothing happened!!!! Mustve been so freaky. Ill definatey be careful with candles from now on...

glasslass
December 29th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Probably not a good idea to mix :candle:s with dogs either. I'm glad Kyuubi wasn't injured. Fast reactions!

JennieV
December 29th, 2008, 04:40 PM
This is why I love coming to Pets.ca...I get to learn from different experiences and some of the lessons are priceless.

I am very happy to hear the the kitty was okay, and the fur will grow back. I will also be much more careful now, although I am lucky - Max does not like the candles even when they are off.

Tundra_Queen
December 29th, 2008, 07:05 PM
OMG! That is so scary, I'm so glad the kitty is ok. You must have been so scared!

I light candles, but only when the kittens are locked in their bedroom.Willie doesn't bother with them and I use the ones in the glass jar and the light is way at the bottom, but never leave them unattended. It sure makes you realize how quickly something can happen though.

I'm so glad it was a happy ending.

Debbie

Jim Hall
December 29th, 2008, 08:43 PM
we once had to replace our stove to elaetric ignition cuase the stoopid cat kept berning his tail on the pilot lights

lends new meaning to "put the cat out eh?"

Joeyjoejoe
December 29th, 2008, 11:35 PM
So I took a few pics...

Here is a before shot:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3236/3148819477_b32e2e52f5.jpg

Here is a shot from today. It seems worse than it really was. His lighter fur blends in with the couch:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3253/3148820205_dfc9998d7a.jpg

This is another angle. As you can see, it's not as noticeable (Azrael is checking out the damage too):
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3215/3148819803_2d94b96757.jpg

I wasn't scared, but it felt like very surreal. I'm so glad that my cousins were able to act as quick as they did to douse as much of the flames as they could. If they waited a few seconds, Kyuubi could have been completely engulfed!

It was serious, but no harm, no foul. I can even joke about it... I named him after a mythical beast that is surround in flames! I was asking for trouble... or maybe I'm psychic...

growler~GateKeeper
December 29th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Very glad this one had a happy ending :eek: :grouphug:

ancientgirl
December 30th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Azrael is saying, "Bro, your butt was totally on fire!"

I'm glad everything turned out well, and kudos to your cousins for thinking fast!