Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food for my puppy...sigh...

Milly
December 29th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Hi everyone,
We have a 6 month old shepherd/beagle mix (cutest puppy ever!) and are having a hard time figuring out what to feed her. We're not interested in trying a raw food diet and would like some info on kibble.

The first food we had her on was IAMS. We didn't know any better, she did great on that but as we did a little research we decided we wanted better quality. We then went with Chicken Soup for the Puppy lover's soul. She seemed to have to strain a lot with that kind and we stuck with that one for a couple of months and thought we'd switch to something else.

Three weeks ago we decided to try her on Oven Baked Tradition puppy formula. Unfortunately, we didn't have a lot of the Chicken Soup food left to do a fully proper transition but we did a blend of the two foods for about 4 or 5 days before giving her just Oven Baked. She definitely prefers the taste of Oven Baked and she doesn't leave even one kibble in her bowl. But she's been having some loose stool. At least once a day and today had full blown diarrhea. Nothing else is wrong with her. She is her normal self, she's not gotten in to anything, etc. She did get spayed 10 days ago, other than vomitting for a few hours after she got home, everything went very well and we had her stitches out today.

Could the diarrhea have anything to do with the spay? At what point do we decide it's the foods fault and try something else? I don't want to tax her system any more than necessary.

ps. Our vet is not much help on this one. He recommends Hills I/d. The thing is, she's had it before (see one of my previous posts for that story) and loves it and did well on it. It's just not very highly recommended on the dog food analysis site. :shrug:

BeagleMum
December 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I have my two on Orijen and I really think it is one of the best dog foods (kibble) out there. I have them on the fish formula but I know that they do make a puppy formula as well. If you can get this one, I would try it.

I have also tries Merrick, Fromm, Wellness and Core but because of Spencer's food allergies, none have been as good as the Orijen (and the dogs love it). I add soft Merrick food to their breakfast and they get straight kibble at dinner.

flipgirl4
December 29th, 2008, 11:43 PM
It sounds like the Oven Baked is causing the diarrhea since the loose stool continued for a couple of days after transitioning her. Boil some chicken and give her some rice with the broth from the chicken. After a day, add some of the chicken to the rice. If the diarrhea clears up, you can slowly start adding her food back in. Or you can give her some Pepto Bismol. I have a 17 lb dog and I give her 1/2 teaspoon every 4 hours if she has diarrhea. Get a syringe from a pharmacy so you can give it to her. Finding the right food for your puppy can sometimes be trial and error. Maybe finding a food with a single source protein would help you narrow it down. Eagle Pack Holistic Selects has a duck and potato formula as well as a lamb and rice formula. just a suggestion of course.

ashtoreth
December 30th, 2008, 09:23 AM
My pup is on Orijen too

however, when you switch, you should always do it gradually :)

zomo
December 30th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Please don't leave your Pup on ID (Hills) In my Opinion there is nothing in it that could be considered good nourishment. Orijen is a good food and if you make the transition very slowly she should do well on it. Just make sure that you don't try to make the transition too quick. Start out with 1/4 new and 3/4 old (do this for a couple of days). If you see she is doing ok then switch to half and half the wait another couple of days and if all is well go 3/4 new and 1/4 old wait another couple of days and then try all new. If at any point she has loose stools go back a step and wait another couple of days then try to add again. Good Luck!

schwillis
December 31st, 2008, 11:44 PM
I raised my puppy mostly on orijen, although at times when I couldn't afford it or it wasn't avaible I would also use go (both grainfree and non grainfree) core wellness, before grain salmon, natural balance, tecni-cal natural blend, and and a few others that I wont mention because they really didn't work with my dog.

All of the ones I listed I didn't have any problems with, and think are all fairly high quality. I did a lot of traveling with him so it was a pain in the ass finding quality kibble in some places.

rainbow
January 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Another big thumbs up for Orijen from our house too .....both my boys have been on it for a couple of years now and doing great. :thumbs up

BusterBoo
January 1st, 2009, 08:00 PM
I also agree that Orijen is an excellent food and Buster is still on a blend of Orijen and Wellness (both fish based). However.....since he has been on Orijen he has started doing the nasty....eating "poopsicles". As much as he loves Orijen, I think I will change him back to Wellness as he is now picking the Wellness out of his bowl and not eating the Orijen so much :shrug:

Milly
January 4th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Hi there,
Thank you all for your suggestions. After I posted this poor Milly's gas and diarrhea got worse. My god, you wouldn't (or maybe you would!) believe the smell around here! The poor girl. I called the vet and he said it was definitely the food and to give her some boiled rice and hamburger to settle her stomach. We decided to just give her the hamburger/rice/veg combo for a few days while her tummy settled and we decided what food to switch her to (i just couldn't give her any more of the Oven Baked...I couldn't do that to her!).

She is doing very well on this combo by the way.

We went to Global pet food and decided to try Nature's Variety Prairie Beef and Barley. It's a highly rated food and we thought it would be easiest to transition her to that since it's similar to what she's eating now, the hamburger rice combo.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to transition her to this new food? Yesterday I gave her a 1/4 cup of the kibble with her hamburger/rice combo. We feed her twice a day (so she got a total of 1/2 cup kibble yesterday). Nature's Variety's website says she'll need 2 3/4 cup of just kibble per day.

Any ideas would be appreciated! And thanks again for your suggestions. We didn't go with Orijen because, well, it's the most expensive food in the store, and the puppy formula is chicken based and we're wondering if chicken might be the cause of the tummy upset (her other foods were chicken based as well).

Right now I'm just trying to keep her from any gastro discomfort!

Hannah's Mom
January 13th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Just another thumbs up for Orijen here. Puppy formula stopped my girl's gastro trouble but due to schatching we're switching over to 6 fish from Orijen. I haven't heard of the last food that you mentioned but good luck. I hope it helps your pup.

scathach
January 13th, 2009, 07:29 AM
We had problems with Georges... Now he's on Orijen for puppy and he's doing well :) But the transition hasnt been easy... we had diarrhea for a while... the transition from grain to grain free is hard on puppy cuz of the protein level... but after a few weeks no more diarrhea! :D