Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Annie is home!

shan
July 28th, 2004, 09:09 AM
The surgery is all over and I have my baby back! (YAY!!!). She is sure feeling sorry for herself...dont blame her! She finally ate a bit this morning. As this is my first time dealing with this whole process I am very nervous. Is it normal for to not have gone poop yet? She went yesterday morning before surgery, and as I said, she only ate this morning. (took her food away at 6:00pm night before surgery). I am just concerned because she usually goes 2x a day like clock work....Also is there anything that anyone reccomends to put on the incision to help healing? The stitches are absorbable, so I dont want to put anything on her that will cause them to break down. I think thats all the questions I have at this point, but I am definitely open for any advice anyone has for me... Oh yeah, I got her tattooed as well, does anyone know how this tattoo system works in case she gets lost?

Thanks guys!
Shannon :)

Freyja
July 28th, 2004, 09:17 AM
The anesthetic will make it so her schedule will be off a bit for a day or two.

Lucky Rescue
July 28th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Glad Annie is home!:) Yes, it's normal for her to be a little constipated for a day or two. She may not have much of an appetite, or may not act like "herself."

Do not put anything on the incision. Just make sure Annie doesn't lick the stitches much or pull at them.

Just let her sleep if she wants to, and try and keep her quiet - no running or jumping. She should be back to normal soon.:)

mastifflover
July 28th, 2004, 09:49 AM
I agree don't put anything on the sutures if she start to lick them and bite at them contact your vet and he will give you something to put on them so she wont lick them. These sutures that dissolve are great my guy just had surgery and they used them as well and he never even touches them

glasslass
July 28th, 2004, 10:45 AM
She hasn't had much to eat so there's not much there to eliminate. It's normal. So glad she's home where she can be babied and loved. Keep us updated! First time she rolls over and stretches with her feet in the air, you'll feel a lot better too! :D

shan
July 28th, 2004, 11:26 AM
When I took her out this morning she tried to run. A couple little hops was all she did, but it made me feel much better! I feel pretty bad for putting her through this but I know it is for the better, not so much because she wont have puppies, but because her chances of getting cancer are reduced so much. I will do all I can to keep her healthy, and this seemed like one of the best things in the long run. Anyone out there have any knowlege about how her tattoo works???

glasslass
July 28th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Usually the vet has brochures about it. At least my vet has that about microchipping. I don't know anything about tattooing.

shan
July 28th, 2004, 11:48 AM
From what I understand, and I could definitely ber wrong, the tattoo is traceable back to the vet clinic, but I am not sure if it is province wide or canada wide, or anything.

Luba
July 28th, 2004, 01:40 PM
You should ask the vet about the tattoo there are different registries for them :D
I'm glad to hear she is recovering!!

Spoiled
July 28th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Good to hear that she's doing OK!! :)

glasslass
July 28th, 2004, 10:37 PM
How's the patient?