Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Golden Retriever

coppperbelle
December 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I have a foster dog that was turned over to us last week as a stray that was never claimed. I realize from some paperwork that I just got around to reading that he was found on the south shore of Montreal a long way from where he was brought in. I wonder if his owner would have thought of contacting other shelters and not just local ones. This guy just does not fit the picture of a dumped dog. He was well groomed, overweight and wearing a nice collar.
If you know of someone who is missing an older male Golden Retriever please have them contact me.
He was found in Chambly.

coppperbelle
December 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I finally got to speak to someone at the SCDD this morning and he gave me the name of a person who lost his golden in the same area on the same date. The color of the collar is different but it does sound like the same dog. The man I spoke with is convinced this is his dog. I just hope it is otherwise he is going to be so disappointed. :fingerscr

This dog was scheduled to be euthanised last week.:eek:

shirley1011
December 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Oh I so hope this is his owner!...so great you have taken him in looking for the owner.

chico2
December 29th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Copperbell,thank you for saving his life,hopefully this is that mans dog.:fingerscr
Why would the shelter euthanize a healthy Golden Retriever:shrug:I am sure he could have been adopted out,people love Goldens..but I hope he's found his home.

diandpat
December 29th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Geez, I hope that is his dog :fingerscr

Chico, Ginger had only been at the SPCA for four days before they were going to euthanize her and she was young and healthy...they don't have enough room AND people want puppies :cry:

It would be so nice for this pooch to be back with his family :fingerscr

chico2
December 29th, 2008, 04:22 PM
4 days,OMG,that does not give an owner a very long time to find a dog:sad:

coppperbelle
December 29th, 2008, 04:45 PM
He had been at the shelter for a week. My contact there kept him for another few days until I could go get him. He is an old guy (around 10 years old) and had an ear infection so that is 2 strikes against him. There are so many younger/healthy dogs that need homes so the oldies don't have a chance.
The shelter surrendered him to our group and as soon as he was ready he would have been put up for adoption. I have had him for a week and he is a wonderful old guy.
The guy should be here shortly. I am really anxious to see if it is his dog. If it is I will be sure to tell him how close he came to losing his dog forever.
I am going to recommend that he put some id tags on the dog.

chico2
December 29th, 2008, 04:50 PM
:fingerscr:fingerscrthat it's his dog,please let us know..

coppperbelle
December 29th, 2008, 06:29 PM
He was suppose to be here at 6:00 and it is now 7:30 and he hasn't shown up or called. :loser:
He better have a good excuse for being late.

coppperbelle
December 29th, 2008, 08:14 PM
It's after 9:00 and he hasn;t shown up or called. :yell:

diandpat
December 29th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Now you know why that poor dog was able to spend so much time in the pound :yell::yell:

Would make me a little leary to give him back if it is his dog...I would have been driving 100mph if someone called about my lost dog after over a week :eek:

Can you not reach him either? Was he coming from far? :shrug:

coppperbelle
December 29th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Now I am leary about returning him but if the guy calls me tomorrow I will have no choice but to return his dog. :wall: You can be sure I am not going to wait around for the guy to show up and I am not going to make it easy on him.

I do have his phone number but I am not going to call him.

otter
December 29th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Unbelievable :wall:

I can't believe someone would do that :frustrated: We'll I should give him the benefit of doubt... maybe something happened :shrug:

Kinda reminds me of the loser :evil: that left Miss Molly :lovestruck:

Thank Dog the dog has landed in your hands :thumbs up

Frenchy
December 29th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Now I am leary about returning him but if the guy calls me tomorrow I will have no choice but to return his dog. :wall:

Did he gave you enough details to be sure this was HIS dog ? What if it's not and the guy still says it's his dog ? :frustrated:

coppperbelle
December 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Did he gave you enough details to be sure this was HIS dog ? What if it's not and the guy still says it's his dog ? :frustrated:

He described the dog perfectly except for the collar but that could have been switched at the shelter.
I will see how the dog reacts if he decides to come tomorrow. I am also going to ask him to bring me a picture of his dog. That way I will be able to compare.
Chances are this is his dog. It was found in his area on the same day that he got lost. He is an older golden, dark in color and male.

I am really frustrated right now. If this was my dog I would be breaking speed records to get him back.

Frenchy
December 29th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I am also going to ask him to bring me a picture of his dog.

Good idea ! You can tell him because he didn't show up , you're now not sure if this golden is his dog !

Holy crap I would have left work and dropped everything I was doing if someone would have found my lost dog !! And , kiss a** to the person who would have him !

some people are so weird. :frustrated:

onster
December 29th, 2008, 09:05 PM
as someone who lost an animal and responded at the speed of light or darn near close to it when I got any calls or leads Im flabbergasted. there better be a darn good excuse :yell::wall:

coppperbelle
December 29th, 2008, 09:11 PM
as someone who lost an animal and responded at the speed of light or darn near close to it when I got any calls or leads Im flabbergasted. there better be a darn good excuse :yell::wall:

I agree. As one of my friends suggested he better have been in a car accident and be hospitalized.
I told my husband that maybe the guy got home from work and said, "honey someone found my dog" and found out that wifey was the one that dumped the dog at the shelter in the first place.

14+kitties
December 29th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I agree there had better be a good reason the guy didn't make it. :frustrated:

chico2
December 30th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Copperbelle,let's hope it was not an idiotic crank-call,to what purpose I don't understand,but there are many weirdos out there.
Would it not be difficult to describe a Golden,unless there are some distinctive markings??
Color is one of course,but many Goldens look similar,the owner would know his dog for sure though.

coppperbelle
December 30th, 2008, 08:17 AM
The man showed up about a half hour ago. He apparently got lost last night and thought it was too late to call. Whatever the reason it is very obvious this was his dog by the way he went crazy when he saw the man.
Forest is almost 13 years old and has always been a runner. He use to live in the country but recently moved to an apartment. He was wearing a different collar along with ID tags when he went missing but somehow they came off because when I picked him up at the shelter he was wearing a different collar with no tags.

chico2
December 30th, 2008, 08:30 AM
:thumbs upgreat news,hopefully he won't run again:fingerscr
WOW,13yrs old,I did not think any Golden would live that long..
Did you tell him,Forest was about to be euthanized??
But of course,you were happy and the owner was happy,why put a damper on it.

rotts4ever
December 30th, 2008, 08:55 AM
:goodvibes: that's wonderful he got back home.

I have known Golden's to live as long as 16 yrs. There is one right now close to where I live that is almost 15. You wanna see their faces. So white and so full of experience. :)

diandpat
December 30th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Yeah for a happy ending :thumbs up:thumbs up

Copperbelle, Bless you too for going the extra distance and looking thru the paperwork and putting 2+2 together. :angel:

Wow, it is just so frustrating that there is not some kind of consolidated registry for when people lose their dogs.

I am sure this family was frantic over the Holidays having that old boy out "there" somewhere.

BeagleMum
December 30th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I am so glad there was a happy ending to this story. I hope this guy can keep his dog from running away again.

aslan
December 30th, 2008, 11:57 AM
coppperbelle thank you for going that extra mile for this old boy. Not only did you save his life, but you found his real home. Gotta love a happy ending.

coppperbelle
December 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM
:thumbs upgreat news,hopefully he won't run again:fingerscr
WOW,13yrs old,I did not think any Golden would live that long..
Did you tell him,Forest was about to be euthanized??
But of course,you were happy and the owner was happy,why put a damper on it.

I did tell him that he was scheduled to be euthanized but I am not sure if it sunk in.

chico2
December 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I hope he realized how your commitment to Goldens is the reason he got his dog back:pawprint: