Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Left the dogs together and trouble started!

EdwinBird
December 27th, 2008, 07:50 AM
So on Christmas day I was in such a hurry to get out the door that I forgot to put Rio in his room (he has a tendency to chew things a part - he's getting better though as he's graduated from being crated to having his own room that he doesn't destroy). At any rate, I'm watching my friend's dog over Christmas while he's visiting friends and family far away. The two dogs get a long great (we all used to live together about two years a go). I got home about three hours later and both dogs were lying side by side panting like crazy. It turned out my dog's paw had gotten stuck in the other's collar - it was wrapped around the paw once and super tight around her neck. There was also just a tiny bit of blood on her face (I couldn't find a cut, but I imagine once they realized they were stuck they got a little huffy at each other). I immediately de-tangled them and they both ran for the water bowl, came back into the living room and started wrestling again :shrug:

Anyway, my question is: how do I prevent this? Normally the dogs are not left alone together and this has only happened once before (about three years ago when Rio's paw got stuck in the other dog's harness (she normally doesn't wear a harness). The collar doesn't seem too loose (when it was wrapped around my dog's paw it was, as I said, unbelievable tight around her neck - I was actually worried it had done some damage). Was this just a freak accident or would his paw only be able to get stuck if the collar was truly too loose?

Thanks!

hazelrunpack
December 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Your best bet is to take the collars off completely if they're going to be alone together. Every year there are deaths from dogs getting caught on another dog's collar--and many injuries to limbs besides.

Watch for swelling in the limb that was caught. There might have been some damage that wasn't immediately apparent.

What sort of collar was it?

EdwinBird
December 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I'll definately take the collars off from now on (although I wont be leaving them alone together again - I was just in a such a hurry to get to my cousin's for Christmas that I wasn't thinking). I also keep an eye on his paw - I'll be taking him to the local shelters I volunteer at tomorrow so I was planning on grabbing the vet and have him take a look at any rate.

The collar is cloth (nylon?) adjustable collar.

Gail P
December 27th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I don't ever leave collars on my dogs because of the risk of something like that happening. When we had great danes the two of them got tangled up from wrestling. Perdie slipped her jaw under Pongo's collar and they somehow twisted it around so that she was stuck tight and he was partly choking. We had to cut the collar off him (no easy task with 2 panicky great danes! we had to sit on them I if I recall). Luckily we were right there to help, can't imagine if it happened when nobody was home. Since then I've never kept collars on, I only put them on if we're going to be out somewhere where they need them or if they're working (they get hooked to the neckline when sledding, plus having the harness hooked to the tugline)

Frenchy
December 27th, 2008, 11:51 AM
My guys never wear their collars inside. Not that they play together but better safe than sorry. :shrug:

JanM
December 27th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I'm the same - as soon as we get home - the collars come off - whether I'm home or not. There's just too much risk of an accident. It was the same with my horse - his halter was never left on when he was turned out...

mummummum
December 27th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Ceili actually got her own paw caught in her collar once.

MommaKat
December 27th, 2008, 01:53 PM
There are breakaway collars for dogs. Which is good when they need a collar but accidents can still happen (at the dog park for example or at a friends house with dogs) http://www.breakawaycollar.com/ . I'll be getting one for Maggie soon for visiting friends dogs.

EdwinBird
December 27th, 2008, 07:46 PM
As usual, good advice from all!

I'll just get into the habit of taking off the collars when we're not actually out walking. Sounds like the best (and easiest!) solution.

I feel kind of silly that that solution didn't come to me naturally. I mean, if they got stuck in the collars why not just remove the collars? Oh well.

Again, thanks all!

Winston
December 27th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Quite a few yrs ago Winston walked into the bathroom...My bathroom is tiny and he is very big so he had to back out! When he backed out the collar got stuck on the handle to the vanity that was attached to the sink and the wall!! OMG hew panicked when he couldnt move backwards and almost pulled the sink out of the wall...He managed to pull the door off and put some nice groves in the floor with his nails! but can you imagine if I wasnt home to stop him! since then...no collars in this house after a walk either! :thumbs up