Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat just died, I blame myself.

grime98
December 23rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
Hello all, today on the 24 of December, my cat who I have had for almost 10 yrs has passed away. She died about an hour ago and I am just devastated. My mom found my cat laying on the ground and yelled for me. She explained to me what had happened. The cat was running on top edge of our couch, when she got one of her paws stuck in the cushion of the couch and flew straight head first into the wall. Unfortunately, along the back side of the couch is a gap and had a hard step. When she hit her head, she fell on the jagged edge of that step. When I took a look at her she had no apparent damage to her skull, but it was obvious she suffered some major head trauma. I deduced this when I saw her pupils. My mom was hysterical rushing to get the phone for a nearby vet hospital. My cat was not breathing and she lost pulse. I didn't know what to do! I had some training in CPR for humans when I was in the military but did not know what to do for cats! I did all i could, treat for shock, keep her warm, keep her airway clear, and tried my best to restart her heart, and tried helping her breath. We had to rush her to a nearby vet hospital. Moments later after being admitted she was pronounced dead on arrival. My heart broke, my mom broke down.

This is devastating for me. My cat's name was kitty. It funny really because we couldn't come up with a name for her. So we just called her kitty and it stuck. I was in the military for 4 yrs and my mom never got used to that. The only company she ever had was kitty and my puppy gattor. That cat meant the whole world to her, she kept her company and kept her sane. I just can't believe how it all happened so quickly!! WITHIN AN HOUR!! I blame myself for not saving kitty. Now i'm googling cat cpr and there are many websites describing techniques on how to do emergency cpr on cats. Im devastated, im lost! I let my cat die, I let a family member die. If only if i had known. Im sorry, this is just so hard for me. I just wanted to vent out.

kathryn
December 24th, 2008, 12:20 AM
awwww that's awful I'm sorry :( :rip:

But it's really shocking though.. I wouldn't think a kitty could die from that. I mean, my pets over the years have taken some tumbles. I would think a cat could handle going crash.

There was nothing you could do that. CPR wouldn't undo the damage of massive head trauma ! I think you should have a necropsy done if you can afford it. Atleast it would confirm there was nothing you could do and put your mind at ease.

In all honesty, most people would have just sat there going AHHHHHHHHH! You did the right thing by clearing the airway and all that stuff.

I blame myself and feel guilty about some past pets too. There isn't much you can do about it anymore. I was really mean to my one cat when I was little and regret it now but there is nothing I can do anymore. So we all know how you feel.

sandlor
December 24th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. You cannot blame yourself, obviously you did not cause the accident and had no idea it would have even been possible. What a devasting thing to happen so close to Christmas. :sorry:

bendyfoot
December 24th, 2008, 09:51 AM
:grouphug:Don't blame yourself. It was a bizzarre accident, and horrible, but it could have happened to anyone. It sounds like you did your absolute best, medically, but honestly there was probably nothing you could have done even if you were a vet yourself. I'm sorry your family is facing this loss at christmas time.

Etown_Chick
December 24th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Huggs for you and your mom. All we can do is give our friends the best possible life while they are with is, and I am sure you and your mom did that.
You did everything you could.
:angel2:

hazelrunpack
December 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM
You said it yourself, grime98--major head trauma. Nothing you could have done would likely have made any difference. :grouphug:

I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

:candle: kitty

BusterBoo
December 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM
:pray: I am so sorry to hear of your loss, it sounds like kitty was such a comfort to your Mom. Please don't blame yourself, sometimes things happen that we just can't understand.....

:rip: sweet kitty, you are an :angel: now.....

glasslass
December 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.:sad:

t.pettet
December 24th, 2008, 08:38 PM
My condolences to you and your mum, there was nothing you could have done and probably not your vets either so don't blame yourself. It was just a fluke accident and am sorry it happened at X-Mas. Once the shock wears off you'll be able to put this in perspective. This kitty had a wonderful, loving family and she would have known that, right up until the end.

faranya
December 24th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a sudden, unforeseen and shocking experience! Blaming yourself is needless; these things happen, and the outcome can't really be changed. This is NOT your fault! And freak accidents happen to people, too. We're all mortal creatures and therefore, very vulnerable to injury.

You and your mom obviously cared very much for your sweet kitty, and gave her a lovely life for a whole decade. That's the important thing to remember.

JennieV
December 27th, 2008, 12:52 PM
my deepest and sincere condolences on your loss...what a horrible accident!
I second the people here that said that you have done all you could...Sometimes, its just out of your hands, no matter what you do. :shrug:

:rip: sweet Kitty :candle:

Also, I know its too hard to think of right now, but maybe the way to ease the pain would be to adopt a kitty in Kitty's memory. I found it was easier for me to deal with Tarzan's passing, when I had a puppy to care for. This doesn't mean I will ever forget him, but I feel sort of a strange connection through Sparky to Tarzan, and that helps me.

htsource
January 2nd, 2009, 01:12 AM
I'm very sorry about your loss, but you did everything you could have done so don't blame yourself - it was an accident after all.

We lost our beloved Gigi (American Eskimo) in Sept of this year, we all went through a difficult time. Like JennieV, we got another dog in about a month. We were thinking we'd never get another pet, but we couldn't stop thinking of Gigi, coming home and her greeting with us, feeding her, petting her, all the happy moment with her. It helps and definitely not mean I'm going to forget Gigi.

Karin
January 2nd, 2009, 11:44 PM
Just a note, this poster has not been back.