Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Helping an outdoor dog adjust to being an indoor dog--Advice?

ScottieDog
December 23rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Hi. We just got a 2 year-old Scottie from a breeder who decided that, although the dog has a wonderful temperament, she did not conform closely enough to breed standard to have pups. She is a total sweetheart! We got our male Scottie from her 13 years ago and he has been a very healthy. Her dogs have a reputation for being healthy and having great temperaments. Our little girl has lived primarily in a kennel setting most of her life and we are working on her housetraining. She does great with her crate and sleeps and eats in it. She also stays in it when I can't supervise her. She seems to be adjusting well, but I wanted to know if there are tips for me to help with her transition. We are having some cold weather and when I take her outside, she quickly does her potty and heads back for the door and the sofa.

We have had a few accidents in the house, but I feel these are my fault, not hers. I'm cleaning with an enzyme solution and giving her very frequent walks. She sleeps through the night and doesn't soil her crate. She is getting along very well with our older Scottie. He has established that he is boss and they have even played a little the last couple of days.

Her biggest fear issues at this point have been the sliding doors at PetSmart, our garage door opening and closing, and the noise from some tennis courts near where we take a walk. I am working on giving her small amounts of exposure to these things so she won't be afraid. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I've also learned that when working on housetraining, you need to set your priorities when the doggie needs to go. It is 20 degrees you can pick shoes or a coat--not both!:D

hazelrunpack
December 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
LOL I have a word of advice--slip-on boots and a coat both in close proximity to the door to the outside! :D

Actually, for housebreaking your best course of action is to treat her as you would a puppy. Consistency and patience do pay off.

And it sounds like you're handling both that and the desensitization to 'scary' things pretty well already. Just make sure that when she's bothered by her boogiemen that you don't coddle her--stay upbeat and confident in your voice and demeanor and she'll learn to take your lead when she runs into things that frighten her.

It sounds like she's already adjusted pretty well to the rest of this 'living in the house' thing. She sure did figure out the couch quickly, eh? :laughing:

Sounds like she's got herself a wonderful new home. :thumbs up

Frenchy
December 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Sounds to me like you're doing a great job with her ! :thumbs up

The only thing I do when I house train a dog is praise them when they do it outside , and I mean praise like there's no tomorrow :laughing:

ScottieDog
December 24th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Trust me. My neighbors think I am insane doing what I call the "pee-pee dance of praise".:crazy:

My vet said I was in for a challenge trying to house train her, but that he knew I could do it. I am not working right now, so I can devote all my time and effort into her training.

We brought her home last weekend, but I feel that she has been here for a very long time. It is hard to explain, but it just feels like she belongs. I had a very sad experience trying to do a rescue (drove 900 miles for a Scottie that was a bird-dog mix) but that lead us to this sweet girl.

Her first day with us, she went through the toy box and picked out all the pink toys. Today, I was sorting laundry, and she managed to climb up into the laundry hamper and dig a nest--she is very cute and has a sweet disposition. She is very eager to please and smart. She has learned "sit". She just needs to learn the house rules and some manners. Thanks for the advice.

Oh, and now I've got the slip on shoes at the door, coat hanging on the banister and the key in the lock. A leash draped around my neck makes an interesting fashion statement too.

Frenchy
December 24th, 2008, 02:08 PM
You'll have to post pictures soon you know ! :D

ScottieDog
January 6th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Just a little update on my Cassie girl. She has been home with us just a little over 2 weeks. We are averaging one "accident" every three day. My goal it to make it to 4 or even 5 days. She seems to be getting the hang of going out. I've been able to back down from 12-14 trips out to about 8 per day. She is loving her toys and seems to enjoy trying to "kill" the stuffed squirrels.

She is a little angel. Her favorite place is snuggled on the couch next to me. She will now run to me when she sees the treat bag and automatically sits and waits for the treat.

I called this morning and scheduled her spay surgery for next week. Based on the dates of her last heat cycle, my vet wanted to do this mid-January. I also promised Cassie's breeder I would have her spayed (and I keep my word). I will admit I am a little nervous about her having surgery. I know the benefits outweigh the risks, but I know that I'm going to be a basket case.

I'm trying to attach a couple of photos. If they come through, you can see what a difficult life it is being a house dog.

hazelrunpack
January 6th, 2009, 02:07 PM
She's a doll! :flirt: And looks right at home on the couch!

Sounds like you're doing a good job on the housebreaking as well! :highfive:

Don't worry too much about the surgery. If it will set your mind at ease, most vets will offer blood profiles ahead of time to test for abnormalities and organ function. The tests won't 100% tell you if there are going to be difficulties, but they will screen your baby for general health and obvious problem.

:grouphug:

ScottieDog
January 6th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I've already asked if the blood panel will be done (and yes it is included--my vet is great). I really want this done so that I can monitor her Alkaline Phosphatase level. It runs all over the board in Scotties, so I want us to have a base reading. I was told that she will be up and around in no time. I think I'm also worried about the "cone head" she will need when the surgery is over. She is a very active little girl.

And thank you for your compliments. She really is a doll.

hazelrunpack
January 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Don't worry about the cone too much. It takes a little bit for them to get used to, but we've found that we suffer from it more than they do. Ours take great pleasure from running the cone into our shins or the backs of our legs and it hurts! :laughing:

Just make sure to show her how to navigate the water and food bowls with it on, prepare yourself for some very sad faces, and you're good to go. :D

ScottieDog
January 13th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I just wanted to let you know that my sweet Cassie is back home this evening after having a successful spay surgery. She is a little sleepy, but seems to be doing well. Her Alk.Phosp. was normal too. My vet said she is a little treasure. He is right.

hazelrunpack
January 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM
That's great news all around, ScottieDog! I'm glad the surgery and tests went so well. :D

:goodvibes: for a quick recovery!

ScottieDog
January 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Today is Cassie's one month anniversary with us. I thought I would give one last update on how my new girl is adjusting. It is a good update, she seems to have adjusted well and seems comfortable being a house dog.

Her last pee-pee accident was on the 12th, so we have been over one week with no accidents (watch me jinx it by posting this). She is one week post-spay and recovering very well. She is my little lap dog. Yesterday, hubby and I were talking about how she just has seemed to change and blossomed over the last couple of days. She is trotting through the house with her tail held high and her ears up. She is spunky and feisty and pure Scottie. I feel like she is really starting to bond to me (and of course, me to her).

hazelrunpack
January 20th, 2009, 05:13 PM
What a great update, ScottieDog! :highfive: I'm glad things are going so smoothly!

Chris21711
January 20th, 2009, 05:17 PM
That is great news ScottieDog, I love those little guys.....no jinx just kiss a toad on the nose if you can find one and all will be fine :laughing:

Those little terriers are too smart to let a good thing sour...........but of course we need more pics :lovestruck: