Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We've started the introductions.. (sort of)

phoozles
December 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
In case you wanted an update..

Last Friday for me was a snow day (yay!), so FH and I decided to give it a shot.. Ethel had been a lot calmer lately (still on the meds), and we had been conditioning her with a harness and the leash for a week or so..

On Friday we brought her out in the leash.. Jake was NOT happy..
I brought out some treats and they were fine eating them right in front of each other.. (Ethel still going frantic for them - she's definitely food motivated).. Alley seemed to not be able to care less about Ethel, but Jake did.. he got all riled up..

We only had them together for about 5 minutes, and then Ethel went to charge one of them (luckily she was leashed), so back in her room she went..

We did it again for the next few days.. Similar results.. actually, the last time, Jake swatted her good and cut her little nose.. there was a touch of blood, but it was just a flesh wound..

So we're taking it day by day, but the leash will stay on, and it really seems to be Jake that's the most angry these days..

ancientgirl
December 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
I've been thinking about you and Ethel for a while, but I always forget to post begging for an update.

Hopefully going slow will help.

I remember when I was beginning to let Czari off her meds, she'd go running after Maks. She never really chased anyone else, just Maks, and it winds up he's the only one she will mostly let near her now. They do fight though, and she'll hiss and growl, but eventually one will leave the other alone.

For my situation, Czari will stand and wait her turn for treats with little issues, maybe now and then Kiska will look at her and swat and Czari will hiss, but that's it. They can pretty much be in the same room with little or no incident and I'm to the point where a scuffle here and there is normal.

I'm hoping this will eventually be the case for you. They will learn to just accept each others presence and deal with it.

I do though, take Czari in to get her nails trimmed every other week. Maybe make sure your gang all have their nails trimmed so that when they swat nobody gets hurt.

It sounds though like there is progress and that's a good thing!:D:grouphug:

krdahmer
December 23rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hey that's some progress! Thanks for the update. Now where are the pictures??? ;)

Chris21711
December 26th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Kudos to you for hanging in there Phoozles :highfive:

rainbow
December 26th, 2008, 07:34 PM
You know the old saying "slow and steady wins the race". :thumbs up

YAY for this baby step of improvement. :highfive:

And, I second the request for new pics. :goodvibes:

14+kitties
December 26th, 2008, 11:05 PM
It's a start. It may take a long time yet to get to the point where they can be alone in a room with no fighting but still....... the leash is a great idea. Maybe Jake should be on one too then he can be held back a litte as well. :shrug: :evil: Alley behaved? :)