Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Switching to Orijen...

mollywog
December 22nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
After doing some research, I have decided to switch Molly's food from Solid Gold Hund n Flocken to Orijen 6 Fish. Her skin seems flaky and dry right now and I have heard so many good things about Orijen. It is almost $10 more per 30 lb bag, but hopefully it will be worth it.
My question is- do you think switching from lamb to fish protein source will affect her? I plan on switching over very slowly of course.
Also, how much should I feed her? She weighs about 35 lbs and in the winter is not overly active. Right now I am feeding her 2 cups per day (1 cup am, 1 cup pm)... does this sound about right? She is lean but I think that is just her build.
Like all of you, I only want the best for my furbaby! :lovestruck:

rainbow
December 22nd, 2008, 11:41 PM
I feed my boys Orijen and my 58lb husky (doesn't get as much exercise as he should :sad:) gets 2 cups a day so I would give Molly less than that.....no more than 1 1/2 cups.

As far as changing from lamb to fish I don't see a problem since you are doing it gradually.

Good luck....Orijen is an excellent food imo and I hope Molly likes it. :goodvibes:

mollywog
December 23rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
thanks Rainbow! I will reduce the amount once I switch over, and I will let you know how it goes! :thumbs up

kdick
December 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
My dog gets Orijen puppy. I've found the recommendations on the label have worked well for her in terms of how much to feed.

bendyfoot
December 23rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
I also agree that Orijen is an excellent food (we've had our gang on it for over a year...we're feeding raw now, but Orijen is the only kibble we'd use otherwise, it did wonderful things for them!)

As for amount of food, it's really going to vary depending on your dog's individual needs... our 55 lb dog ate 1.5 cups a day while our 60 lb dog ate 4 cups a day...

sounds like you have a pretty good starting point...now your job is to monitor her body condition. You want to keep her nice and lean (it's better IMO to be a tad lean than even a bit overweight), so if you notice she's starting to put some weight on (as in, fat, not muscle...all my critters muscled up on the Orijen), reduce the food by maybe 1/4 cup per day, and keep adjusting as needed. You may have to readjust seasonally if her activity level varies throughout the year....

Check out my new thread on feeding here, if you like, you might find some useful info...http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59155

Etown_Chick
December 24th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I've had Scruffy on Orijen Regular Formula since I got him in April. It's great but his skin is still a bit dry (it's like the Sahara here in the winter) so I've added sardines to his diet.
The fish one might have a bit more oil. There are feeeding guidelines on the bag but they have a wide range.
Scruff is 40 lbs and gets a bit less than 2 cups. He's active, happy and lean.
You might have to try it for a while to see what works for Molly.

mummummum
December 25th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Just like people, dog's metabolize foods at different rates. As Bendyfoot suggested you have to keep an eye, actually, a hand doing the "pinch an inch" on your dog. And that goes for each season and as they age.

rainbow
December 25th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Good advice bendy and mums. :thumbs up