Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please help...doogie wont come

rexdoggieowner
July 27th, 2004, 04:30 PM
I am having a problem with my 8th month old border collie X. Every evening after he goes to the bathroom, and I call him to come back inside-- he doesn't listen to me, but he just thinks its a game and runs around and digs in the back yard... please help.. i don't know what i should do to teach him no :confused:

Goldenmom
July 27th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Keep you dog on a long tether, or rope. When he starts to walk away from you, say "Rover, Come". If he doesn't come on his own, reel him in using the leash. When he arrives beside you, praise and treat. You need to keep doing this and doing this. Repetition is the name of the game.

I use a hand signal for my girls that is your arm out in front of you and bring it up to your shoulder as you say "come".

Good luck!

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

rexdoggieowner
July 27th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Thank you!! that was a great help.. i have just one more question... does every dog go to obidience school ?! cause i found the classes to be very expensive and i am a college student who doesn't have money to spear-- my parents COULD help me out but i rather train him myself. what do all you think of that ?! is it possible to train my dog by myself and still achieve positive results ?!

thanks again

Goldenmom
July 27th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Yes you can! If you are determined and disciplined yourself, you can do it. What you will need though is a good dog training book. The library has all kinds. Get a whole bunch, read them all and see which one is most informative. Actually, the internet has great training sites as well.

My advice to you is to use only positive training, with treats. You treat for everything they do. And praise, praise, praise. You need to be firm, but loving to them. Let them know you are the boss and they need to listen to you.

You have a very active breed of pup on your hands. You will need to give him loads of exercise to wear him out. Border Collies are extremely bright and food motivated. Even play frisbee and ball.

Good luck and if you have any more questions, don't hestitate to post them here. There are lots more people with better information than me :p

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

Spoiled
July 27th, 2004, 05:42 PM
is it possible to train my dog by myself and still achieve positive results ?!

Yes! You might benifit from obedience classes, but if you don't have money to spare in that way, it is best in most cases to train your dog at home. You can check out the library and see if they have any good books, or buy some good books from a book store. A really good one is called "Beyond Basic Dog Training" By Diane L. Bauman. Also, you can send me a private message for information on how to train the basic commands if you want.

Now, about the running away:

Let him do his buisiness and right after, throw a toy for him. Play with it with him for a few minutes, then head inside. He'll most likely come to the door and want in. Open the door and let him come in. If he doesn't come in, Close the door. Make sure he is playing with an indestructable toy! :D