Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

She wont eat? What do i Do???

babymomma
December 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
hey there guys! Im having some trouble getting keely to eat.
She isnt sick.
She is just STUBBORN!
We switched her to welnness about a month ago now,
At first we were mixing in about A teaspoon full of wet food
with a 1/4 of a cup of dry in the morning and again supper time.
But she would lick the wet stuff off the dry and just eat that and that amount of food was obviously not enough for her. And we cannot afford to just feed her the wet stuff. So we swicthed to just dry. And she would eat about 3/4 of a cup a day at first. But recently she wont eat it. My mom started making a game of it and throw it across the floor one peice at a time and she woukld eat it all. But im not spending the rest of her life doing that. And in the past few days she is only eating about 1/4 cup or less. What can i do to get her to eat from her bowl? Is there ANYTHING i can do?

ARGh. people keep telling me that Yorkies are picky eaters but i never thought they were this darn bad!!!!!

bendyfoot
December 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
Ok, I'm going to chime in here and at least say "I feel your pain".

Jaida is a HORRIBLE eater. We have spent the last 2 years bribing her to eat her usual kibble by topping it with wet food, canned salmon, meat scraps, etc. etc....sometimes we (er, I, my DW won't tolerate that nonsense:o) have been practically on my knees with the bowl in my hand feeding two kibbles at a time, pleading "EAT, PLEASE, WHY WON'T YOU EAT???" Jaida's always skinny bordering on bony, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much, but like you it always stresses me out.

Our solution? Honestly, we never found a very good one with the prepared foods. Sometimes a food change or a new "bribe" would get her eating pretty reliably for a few weeks, then she'd go off the food again :wall: Even feeding canned food after a while she'd stop eating again. Very, very frustrating.

Lately, we've hit on a "miracle" cure for this: raw food.

I know it's not for everyone, but boy oh boy will that dog SCARF her food down when it's raw and she will challenge any other dog or cat that DARES to come near her bowl. :D Seriously, it's been amazing. We've been finding it very economical, better than the premium kibble we were feeding for sure. And with that tiny little squirt of a dog you've got there :laughing: you're talking probably 10 dollars a week MAX for good quality raw food if you can find a butcher willing to part with chicken backs/necks, then you can add on other meat types. We dont' find it any harder to feed than kibble, really, and it's been an absolute lifesaver for Jaida and a de-stresser for her hoomans. Just a thought!

Love4himies
December 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Does she like human meat? If so, I agree with Bendyfoot, try a raw diet.

clm
December 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
I haven't been brave enough to go to raw, but I've been mixing homecooked in with their kibble and they eat it all up now. Before it was hit and miss as to whether or not they would eat.

Cindy

babymomma
December 22nd, 2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks Guys. I would have had her on a raw diet since day 1 if it were up to me. But the food, vet bills, etc. Come out of my moms pay check and my mom doesnt like the idea of feeding raw. Accually she is totally against it. Therefore, I pretty much have no say in the matter:frustrated: (It took me a while to talk her into buying the wellness because she figured cesar food would be just as good:yuck:) I would pay for the food myself, but i was recently "Laid off". Im not completely broke, but im pretty bent. lol.. I have to make do with what we already have. ARGH. :yell:

babymomma
December 22nd, 2008, 12:19 PM
Oh my, I just had a major brain Fart Since keelys spay we havent been as active, even though she is completely healed up now. Before we were running for hours at a time through the trails in the woods with my neighnors GSD. Maybe because she isnt using as much energy now she doesnt feel the need to eat as much????! JUst a shot in the dark:confused: Maybe i should start excerzizing with her more again!

bendyfoot
December 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Some dogs will definitely eat less if their caloric needs have decreased because of decreased activity, but others will wolf down/pick at their food regardless. It's a thought though. Because she's so small I'd be worried about her not eating regularly, though.

laura3278
December 23rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
I feel your pain. Buddy was spayed in Oct and since then we have had horrible weather and we haven't been as active. Even though, she is in a play group every Saturday and she is running and jumping, etc. Plus, she has had ear infection, pink eye and bladder infection. She is on Wellness for puppies as well. With her last bunch of antiboditics, she barely ate anything. I had to crushed the pills up and put it in cooked chicken, etc. But, that can get expensive. Since then she has gotten skinny and is extremely fussy. No wet food, no liver treats (makes her sick), hates PB, etc. The forum has turn me on to tripe (sorry if I spell it wrong) and it works. I took about a tablespoon and mixed it in to her morning meal (really well) and she was licking the bowl clean. Not sure if you would like to try this. It cost be $2.79 for big can at a independent pet store.