Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

lamb bones?

bendyfoot
December 22nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
I found some cheapie lamb (shanks? - little tiny lamb steaky-type-things) this weekend...they have a small round bone (cross-sectioned, I'm assuming it's a leg bone). About 1/2-1" in diameter, max. and about 1/2-3/3" thick. I cut the meat off the bones and scooped out the marrow, I was thinking they were too heavy to be consumed properly...was I being paranoid?

pitgrrl
December 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
It's my understanding that weight bearing bones of larger animals are not really appropriate as consumable bones.

The other thing that would concern me, if I'm understanding your description, is that it sounds like because of how it's cut it could be a bit too risky to feed, for me, personally.

Chris21711
December 22nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Lamb bones seem to splinter really easily, personally I wouldn't give them to the dogs.

hazelrunpack
December 22nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
The size and shape sounds to me like an intestinal blockage waiting to happen. :eek: (But then, we have notoriously bad luck around here :o) I think you made a good call not feeding them the bones!

bendyfoot
December 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Ok, thanks, I appreciate the feedback. :thumbs up

totallyhip
December 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
We feed ours lamb necks all the time. They do great with them. They even got leg of lamb by accident one time and LOVED it!

TulipRoxy
December 22nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
We feed ours lamb necks all the time. They do great with them. They even got leg of lamb by accident one time and LOVED it!

A LEG? I guess that was a sad holiday dinner! lol

totallyhip
December 22nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Actually it was quite funny at the time. We buy our meat for the dogs from this butcher all the time. We get the same thing everytime and they cut them down to 2" x 2" bones for us. But this one time my DH got a new lady who did not speak english very well. He asked for Lamb Necks and she thought he had said Leg of Lamb???? :laughing: Anyhow needless to say she pulled out the leg of Lamb and cut it all up and then when it was time to pay my DH was shocked because there was a HUGE price difference! :eek: She was all worried and started to stress out (I think it was her first day on the job). So he felt bad and just paid for it anyhow. It wasn't like they would have sold it like that :laughing: Our dogs had quite the meals thats for sure! Meanwhile were eating Kraft Dinner and they are all having Leg of Lamb!!! :D